MKZ Front End crunch noise at low speed - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
rblose
Moped Rider

Default MKZ Front End crunch noise at low speed

My 2009 MKZ makes a crunching / snap noise when you apply the brakes at low speed such as pulling into a parking space. Our car has 14K and has been to the dealer where they told me that " all MKZ do this...there is no solution". Yikes!! The Lincoln mechanic proceeded to show me using another customer's MKZ make the same noises in the parking lot while I stood there! He said they all thought that the brake rotors were rotating slightly on the wheel hubs before using up the small amount of slack designed around the wheel studs holes on the rotors . I went home and pulled both front wheels and checked all bolts and brake items. The rotors are held in place on the hubs with two set screws so there is zero movement backwards and forwards on the wheel hubs. The noise happens with the wheels in all positions including turned and straight ahead. Anyone had the same issue and have a fix?
rblose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Mercury_66Comet_07Milan
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: MKZ Front End crunch noise at low speed

pretty sure it's the same noise that fusion/milans make... it's the calipers.

New Mercury-Old Mercury
I admire your Ford, but you're jealous of my Mercury.
Mercury_66Comet_07Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=RBLOSE link=topic=209177.msg4213381#msg4213381 date=1333562566]
My 2009 MKZ makes a crunching / snap noise when you apply the brakes at low speed such as pulling into a parking space. Our car has 14K and has been to the dealer where they told me that " all MKZ do this...there is no solution". Yikes!! The Lincoln mechanic proceeded to show me using another customer's MKZ make the same noises in the parking lot while I stood there! He said they all thought that the brake rotors were rotating slightly on the wheel hubs before using up the small amount of slack designed around the wheel studs holes on the rotors . I went home and pulled both front wheels and checked all bolts and brake items. The rotors are held in place on the hubs with two set screws so there is zero movement backwards and forwards on the wheel hubs. The noise happens with the wheels in all positions including turned and straight ahead. Anyone had the same issue and have a fix?
[/quote]

EDIT - My reply crossed in the mail with Mercury_66's.

Hi RB. Not sure if your Tech gave you a bad explanation, but this is one possibility: Some of our cars (MKZ, Fusion, Milan) exhibit a bit of slack/looseness in the brake pads/brake pad clips/springs.

This looseness can result in the brake pads shifting ever so slightly the first time you apply the brakes after shifting into Drive or reverse. Essentially, the first brake application each time results in the pads shifting forward or backward and making a noise. You will only hear it at low speed since it only happens the first time after changing direction (D to R or R to D).

It can sometimes be alleviated, at least temporarily, by having the offending parts re-lubricated. Also, some owners have found a longer term solution when their Dealer replaced the clips/springs.

Don't know for sure if this is what is causing your issue, but it is a possibility.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
rblose
Moped Rider

Thanks for the response...I bet that is what is happening. If I go forward. the noise happens just once. Then I back into a parking space the the noise happens. Forward and the noise again happens as the pads shift forward. What a great design! Someone should be fired in the drive train group at FOMOCO!!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
rblose
Moped Rider

My dealer solved the crunching noise with a new set of front and rear brake pads. Service manager told me that the new pads were a different design versus what came from the factory. The new pieces had updated different clips / springs so it is obvious that Ford knows that they had a problem and just quietly redesigned the problem out. Our MKZ is quiet now and sounds great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Suspension / Brakes