Homemade set of 2x10 wooden car ramps for the fusion - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
ztardivo
Short Track Racer

Default Homemade set of 2x10 wooden car ramps for the fusion

Hey guys,

So me and my buddy whipped these together last night. I wanted a set of ramps that i could use to do my regular oil changes, i wanted them to be modular for storage and ease of transportation. Also wanted them to have a low enough angle of slope so my lowered fusion would get up them. I also wanted something a bit higher than a normal set of ramps. The modular design also allows me to take the ramp section off and work from the side of the car. I will be using these ramps to get the rear of the car up for my Magnaflow install this weekend aswell.

I ended up with these. Total length is 96 inches end to end. (84" from center of wheel stand to end of ramp) Comes apart in a total of three pieces. The first section is the 2 foot long section of 7 stacked 2x10's coming in at 10.5" tall.

The second section is the bottom two ramp boards which are 6 and 5 feet long, the third section is 4 boards that are 4,3,2, and 1 foot long. The two ramp sections can be used independently or in conjunction with the wheel stacks, giving me plenty of options on how high i can go. The two ramp sections are held together from sliding with two barrel bolts on each ramp set.

The actual ramp section attaches to the wheel stand with a custom twist bolt that is permanently attached to the ramp and swings down and tightens on the the wheel stand. This ensures that the block doesnt slide when driving onto it. The wheel stand also has a wheel chock that is screwed and secured through the top.

Each section comes in at or around 50lbs, still need to add some handles to the sections to carry them. These were built inside an apartment in 2 nights, all boards purchased were utilized fully with only 2' extra. Cuts were made at home depot by one of the men who work there. All holes were pre-drilled and each board was liquid nailed together.

Total Supplies were:
Box of 2.5" deck screws-
Liquid nail -

3 16' 2x10"s- Cut to lengths at home depot for me :-)
2 12' 2x10"s Cut to lengths at home depot
4 barrel bolts
4 twist bolts
4 lag screws for the twist bolts
couple of washers to hold the chocks

onto the pictures

the first barrel bolt in this picture has since been moved to the correct place...up one level so the 2 pieces can actually seperate

as seen here... just didnt get an overall picture with it in the right spot... it was getting late when we put those on..haha

4,3,2,1 section of ramp

stacked away
[img width=459 height=768]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7189/6942847723_bd7def0080_b.jpg[/img]

[img width=459 height=768]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7178/6796724408_707909fa08_b.jpg[/img]
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow Catback 16675, 6000K 55watt HID Lowbeams, Yellow Stained Glass painted fogs with Silverstars, LED License Plate lights/puddle lights/ interior dome, chrome front signal bulbs, 20% tint rear/ 35% front, Lincoln MKZ engine cover.
ztardivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
010califusion
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: Homemade set of 2x10 wooden car ramps for the fusion

I completely skipped all the words n asked. WTF would you use these for? N then i said OHH...Lol

Speedtech:Magnaflow:VVME:Oracal:
VisualGarage:K&N: DiscBrakesAustralia:
Hawk:Bridgestone:GarageDefend.

Hybrid.
010califusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
bondservant
Le Mans: Prototype Class

I like that last picture! A lot of effort must have gone into those ramps. The real question is, how you gonna get the car in to the living room?
Sound bites!!!

Keith
My Mod Thread
bondservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Mercury_66Comet_07Milan

how much did that cost???

I just get two low profile jacks and put them behind front wheels and jack them up at same time....

New Mercury-Old Mercury
I admire your Ford, but you're jealous of my Mercury.
Mercury_66Comet_07Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
blackfusion06
F1 Driver

sorry but why???? A set of resin car ramps that weight 12lbs at walmart are like $45 and a single 2"x10"x4' extension will carry the weight of the car if you need to clear a body kit. That right there is a whole lotta craziness and probably $100 in lumber and supplies.
blackfusion06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
ztardivo
Short Track Racer

just under $100 in supplies...

these ramps are alot higher than advance auto or walmart rhino ramps.

my low pro aluminum race jack bends the sideskirt when jacking from the side. (on tein s-techs)

these allow me to get under the side of the car while the car is on the blocks.

plus it was a fun project. and will last me a long time.
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow Catback 16675, 6000K 55watt HID Lowbeams, Yellow Stained Glass painted fogs with Silverstars, LED License Plate lights/puddle lights/ interior dome, chrome front signal bulbs, 20% tint rear/ 35% front, Lincoln MKZ engine cover.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
blackfusion06
F1 Driver

then good for you! made it to serve a purpose. just seems overkill to me for an oil change. I would have just made mini ones so my jack would work without bending the skirts. where do you store them?
blackfusion06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
ztardivo
Short Track Racer

exactly, and just tested them out for the install tomorrow. I can drive up forwards or backwards with no problems... backing up the front bumper comes .5" away from scraping the ground.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
bondservant

Man that blue is sweet! obtw, the ramps seem to be perfect.

Keith
My Mod Thread
bondservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
poonjahb
Moped Rider

Looks good, like the car too, looks almost identical to mine . Funny thing is I just put the same exhaust on mine last weekend. Not as loud as I expected, trying to decide if replacing the rear cat with a high flow or a piece of pipe will help or not since there is no o2 sensor on that one.
poonjahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford General Discussion > Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln Zephyr & MKZ