P0491 P0410 Secondary air injection pump - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
ford_man1
Go-Kart Driver

Send a message via AIM to ford_man1 Send a message via Yahoo to ford_man1
Default P0491 P0410 Secondary air injection pump

These codes came up last week and cannot figure out what is wrong i took every part that is in this system and every individual part works. anyone else have this issue?
ford_man1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Cross Bolt
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: P0491 P0410 Secondary air injection pump

[quote author=ford_man1 link=topic=201650.msg4159998#msg4159998 date=1323744359]
These codes came up last week and cannot figure out what is wrong i took every part that is in this system and every individual part works. anyone else have this issue?
[/quote]

Your in Central California as I am and the Emission System should be covered for 150,000 miles. I had the dealer replace the diverter valve and it was bad. They charged me for the diagnostic but should have not.

Go to the California Air Resource Board on the net and look under PZEV.

This is in the 2006 Calif. Ford warranty : Where a warrantable condition exists, Ford Motor Company will repair your vehicle at no cost to you including diagnosis, parts, and labor.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr122206.htm
Cross Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
ford_man1
Go-Kart Driver

This is true but all of the parts are functioning.1 I talkedto the mechanic four a while and he said that if it wasnt related to those parts I would have to pay the diag.2 I dont have time or money to take it to ford if they tell me im sol. 3 I might have to bite the bullet because I am moving to az in a month and I do not know if the az ford dealers deal with the air pump bs..... I have access to all data and there is hardly any info on this system. Any info besides the old info would help. I even tried to see if there wash moisture in the pump itself because I heard that they can actually freeze, and it has been getting chilly here.... Thanks again
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Cross Bolt
Le Mans: GT Class

[quote author=ford_man1 link=topic=201650.msg4160059#msg4160059 date=1323754090]
This is true but all of the parts are functioning.1 I talkedto the mechanic four a while and he said that if it wasnt related to those parts I would have to pay the diag.2 I dont have time or money to take it to ford if they tell me im sol. 3 I might have to bite the bullet because I am moving to az in a month and I do not know if the az ford dealers deal with the air pump bs..... I have access to all data and there is hardly any info on this system. Any info besides the old info would help. I even tried to see if there wash moisture in the pump itself because I heard that they can actually freeze, and it has been getting chilly here.... Thanks again
[/quote]

Mine had the same codes. I think they are feeding you a line of you know what. You have a California Emission Control Problem of which should be covered under the Ford Warranty Program. (15 years and or 150,000 miles).
The problem is, if you continue to run it with the problem and something else happens, they will blame you for not fixing it.
Cross Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
ford_man1
Go-Kart Driver

that is what i think also. but these two codes should not cause an issue any where else. the pump it only active for 5-12 seconds at startup. i might try to see if my MAF is dirty... this is the best info i think i have recieved yet.
"The vehicles which use secondary air in the 2006 MY are the 2.0L PZEV Focus and the 2.3L PZEV Fusion. Both
use a system with ported air. This means that airflow is delivered to each individual exhaust port. The secondary
air pump is energized soon after start-up while the fuel system is in open loop. After the O2 sensors warm up, the
secondary air pump may continue to be energized while the fuel system goes into closed loop fuel. The
secondary air system may continue to run in closed loop fuel until the air pump is de-energized. The typical time
period during which the AIR pump is energized is approximately 5 to 12 seconds.
In order to meet the 2006 MY monitoring requirements, the air pump inlet hose was routed so as to draw in
airflow that has been metered by the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. When the air pump is energized, the MAF
sensor will show a corresponding increase in air flow. The AIR pump flow check monitors the MAF sensor signal
and two air flow models during normal secondary air system operation to determine if secondary air is being
delivered into the exhaust system. The air pump flow test compares the actual change in MAF during the pump
on and off transitions to the expected change in air flow from the secondary air flow model. (A throttle body flow
model is used to "zero out" errors in the air meter and to compensate for off idle driving conditions.) The actual
air flow is divided by the expected air flow to calculate an "On flow ratio" and an "Off flow ratio". A flow ratio that is
much less than 1.0 means that the air pump has no/low flow, or the inlet hose to the pump is disconnected. If
secondary air system operation extends into closed loop fuel, fuel trim feedback is used to discriminate between
low pump flow and inlet hose disconnection. A low flow ratio with a lean fuel system indicates a disconnected inlet
hose. A flow ratio much higher than 1.0 (and a rich fuel system indication) means that the outlet hose from the
pump is disconnected."
The flow test can set the following three codes: P0491 Low Pump Flow, P0410 - Pump Inlet Hose Off, or
P2448 - Pump Outlet Hose Off. If the flow ratio is low, the monitor will either set a P0491 or a P0410 if enough
closed loop fuel operation has occurred. If there was insufficient closed loop fuel operation, the monitor will set
both a P0491 and a P0410. If the flow ratio is too high, a P2448 code will be set for outlet hose off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain > I4 Engine Discussion