New TSB for 6F35 transmission. - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Default New TSB for 6F35 transmission.

Hi gang. There is a recent TSB release for the 6F35 transmission concerning the 2010 Fusion and Milan (along with the 2009-2010 Escaoe/Mariner). It deals with the exhibiting of a harsh 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift flare which occurs on the first couple shifts of the day and/or intermittent harsh first engagement (primarily reverse, but occasionally drive) with no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). It consists of a check and correction (if necessary) of the transmission fluid level and reprogramming the the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration.

The TSB number is 11-11-23 and you can access it by using this link - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...mw&cad=rja This will get you a PDF copy of the TSB.

As an FYI - Like most TSB's of this type, it is meant only for those covered vehicles equipped with the the 6F35 transmission which are displaying the specific symptoms described in the TSB. If your car is not displaying those symptoms, do not go to the Dealership for an update. TSB's fixes are only supposed to be applied/implemented if the vehicle owner complains of the specific symptoms described in the TSB itself.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Canadian_LX

Default Re: New TSB for 6F35 transmission.

[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=201213.msg4153391#msg4153391 date=1322496389]It deals with the exhibiting of a harsh 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift flare which occurs on the first couple shifts of the day and/or intermittent harsh first engagement (primarily reverse, but occasionally drive) with no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). It consists of a check and correction (if necessary) of the transmission fluid level and reprogramming the the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration.[/quote]

What if I exhibit this symptom (mainly a harsh reverse gear change on startup) but I have the TF80? Do you know if there was a bulletin for this BBF?
Canadian_LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
jdebo
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to jdebo

HAH! the solution to my problem!
jdebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Canadian_LX link=topic=201213.msg4153641#msg4153641 date=1322524609]
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=201213.msg4153391#msg4153391 date=1322496389]It deals with the exhibiting of a harsh 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift flare which occurs on the first couple shifts of the day and/or intermittent harsh first engagement (primarily reverse, but occasionally drive) with no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). It consists of a check and correction (if necessary) of the transmission fluid level and reprogramming the the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration.[/quote]

What if I exhibit this symptom (mainly a harsh reverse gear change on startup) but I have the TF80? Do you know if there was a bulletin for this BBF?
[/quote]

Hi Canadian. Offhand, I do not recall. Have you checked the "TSB/SSB/Recall Information" board the ciscoford23 posted here - http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?board=1019.0 I know there was one that affected my 2007 MKZ. New valve body installed and programming update.

Okay, before I posted my "Offhand I do not recall..." reply above, I figured I would take a quick look and this is what I found: there are several that may apply to your 2006 Zephyr. For example: TSB 07-26-9 (Trans Shift), TSB 08-24-1 (Harsh Shifting Above 20,000 miles, supersedes 7-26-9), TSB 06-21-11 (PCM Calibration Update), TSB 07-2-3 (Update for 06-21-11).

They are in no particular order and it is possible there are more, as I simply/quickly copied and pasted as I ran across them in the list. Also, as you can see, two of them actually update/supersede the other two.

You could also PM "ciscoford23" and ask if he can provide any/all transmission related TSB's for the 2006 Zephyr. He is not active here anymore, but in the past he was very helpful to me and others with this type of information. Send a PM with your request and an E-mail address, If he is still around at all, I am sure he will help. Of course, since he is not active here anymore, be patient and give it some time.

Hope this information helps.

Please let me know how you make out and good luck.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
Canadian_LX

Are these TSB updates the same as a recall? Can I just go to ford with what you have stated and ask them for a reprogram or whatever needs to be done?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Canadian_LX link=topic=201213.msg4153845#msg4153845 date=1322549075]
Are these TSB updates the same as a recall? Can I just go to ford with what you have stated and ask them for a reprogram or whatever needs to be done?
[/quote]

Hi Canadian. No, they are not equivalent to a recall. TSB's are simply a type of notice (bulletin) which relays some type of information from Ford to Dealerships.

Unless otherwise specified in the bulletin, they do not modify or extend Warranty coverage. So technically speaking, if a car is out of Warranty, any actions covered by a TSB are not covered under Warranty.

That being said, there can be exceptions. For example, did you have the car in for this issue while the car was sill under the 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Warranty? Hopefully you did. Now assuming you did, let's go with this hypothetical situation: let's say you have had this issue (mainly a harsh reverse gear change on start-up) for a long time. You have brought it to the Dealership for service for this transmission issue, while under Warranty, multiple times and the Dealer was not able to diagnose the cause and repair the issue correctly. In that hypothetical case, since it was longstanding Warranty issue which was never properly corrected, you may be able to get relief under this TSB and have the repairs covered.

In other words, "I have had this problem documented, under Warranty in the past and it could not be fixed. Now Ford has come up with a fix, so I think it only fair the fix be applied under some sort of good-will extension...". It can be done, so (politely) don't let the Service Department tell you otherwise

These types of situations are usually handled on a case-by-case basis and an owners relationship with the Dealership can have an affect on how far a Dealers Service Department will go for them. So bottom line is it never hurts to ask, since the worst that can happen is the Service Department says no. Then your next step, again according to relationship, would be to ask the Sales Manager/Dealer Principal etc. if there is anything they can do to help, since it would obviously affect your decision whether to purchase here again. Of course always being polite and pointing out "...how much I love my car and like this Dealership but have had this nagging transmission issue for so long, even though you had it in for Warranty service in the past and if you can get Ford to okay/cover this repair work it would certainly make me want to purchase here again...blah, blah, blah", you get the point I'm sure. If that gets you nowhere, bump it up the ladder and contact Ford Customer Relations, again being sure to stress the fact you had the car in under Warranty for this trans issue that was never resolved and now, of all times, Ford comes out with a solution, so you would be deeply appreciative and much more comfortable considering another Lincoln if they helped you correct this longstanding problem...and blah, blah, blah again.

Also, just as an FYI for everyone: As mentioned in the past, even when under Warranty, we don't walk into the Dealership and say "I found this TSB and would like to get this new programming/part/piece whatever for my car...". A TSB is specifically written to cover certain model years/production runs/equipment and very importantly, symptoms/issues. If your car is not having the specific issues described in a TSB, the TSB usually will not apply or be applied. So your car must be having the specific symptoms/issues mentioned in the TSB. So an owner would go to the Dealership and say "...My car is doing X,Y and Z...". Then just step back and let the Service Department staff do their job. If they do their job correctly they will find any/all applicable TSB's and apply them. If they don't, then mention the fact that "I have heard about TSB # 'such-and-such', and it sounds like it will apply to my car and possibly fix my issue. Would you check...?" and so on.

Now, your case is different Canadian. Your car is out of Warranty. You are trying to get a new TSB applied to an out of Warranty vehicle to solve a documented, preexisting, never-solved issue. So you can go to the Dealership and bring up the subject of this TSB and go from there.

Anyway, hope this information helps. If anything I stated was a bit unclear, let me know.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Canadian_LX

Oh ok perfect, thanks BBF. I have an uncle who is a service advisor with Ford so in the spring I'll bring the car to him and see what they say. I have had to put the car in neutral, pull the ebrake, let the car settle on that and then put the car in park. If i don't, the car has a hard reverse shift upon first startup - even after 30 seconds of warmup or so.

I guess I am just used to older cars that did not ever have PCM updates so how the trans worked was sort of what you got. The car has also done this since i've owned it and always thought it just the way it was supposed to be.

Again, thanks for the info and I'll definitely have it looked at.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Canadian_LX link=topic=201213.msg4154092#msg4154092 date=1322590256]
Oh ok perfect, thanks BBF. I have an uncle who is a service advisor with Ford so in the spring I'll bring the car to him and see what they say. I have had to put the car in neutral, pull the ebrake, let the car settle on that and then put the car in park. If i don't, the car has a hard reverse shift upon first startup - even after 30 seconds of warmup or so.

I guess I am just used to older cars that did not ever have PCM updates so how the trans worked was sort of what you got. The car has also done this since i've owned it and always thought it just the way it was supposed to be.

Again, thanks for the info and I'll definitely have it looked at.

[/quote]

Hi Canadian. Just my personal advice/opinion: Do not wait until spring. Do it now. The longer you wait, the less likely your chances of having any sort of Warranty extension. At the very least, call your uncle, explain the situation and ask for his advice as to what you should do and when you should do it.

Let us know what he says and good luck.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Canadian_LX

If the car was still insured I probably would, but it's been off the road since the end of October and won't be back on until mid-late April.

I'll probably see my uncle sometime over the next few weeks or so and will ask him about it then. Thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Canadian_LX link=topic=201213.msg4154134#msg4154134 date=1322593133]
If the car was still insured I probably would, but it's been off the road since the end of October and won't be back on until mid-late April.

I'll probably see my uncle sometime over the next few weeks or so and will ask him about it then. Thanks
[/quote]

Hi C. Understood. Out of curiosity, let us know what he says/any outcome.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain