Thermostat and Coolant Temp Sensor replacement - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
acedeuce802

Default Thermostat and Coolant Temp Sensor replacement

So I got the P0128 code, and I'm just going to dive in and replace the thermostat, coolant temperature sensor, and flush the coolant all at once. I have a few questions. I'm looking on rockauto for the parts, and I see "Temperature Sender" is that the same thing as the coolant temp sensor? Do I need to just order the thermostat, or do I need the thermostat housing and gasket too? Also, what kind of coolant are you guys using, and what is acceptable to use? The procedure seems pretty simple. Drain the coolant, screw out the temp sensor, screw in new one. I'm not finding how to change the thermostat, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I need a new sig.
acedeuce802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Default Re: Thermostat and Coolant Temp Sensor replacement

[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=191547.msg4038491#msg4038491 date=1306964748]
So I got the P0128 code, and I'm just going to dive in and replace the thermostat, coolant temperature sensor, and flush the coolant all at once. I have a few questions. I'm looking on rockauto for the parts, and I see "Temperature Sender" is that the same thing as the coolant temp sensor? Do I need to just order the thermostat, or do I need the thermostat housing and gasket too? Also, what kind of coolant are you guys using, and what is acceptable to use? The procedure seems pretty simple. Drain the coolant, screw out the temp sensor, screw in new one. I'm not finding how to change the thermostat, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi Adam. Don't know the 2007 Fusion coolant spec off the top of my head, but it is listed in the Maintenance Specifications charts in our Owners Manual. Also, keep in mind that the specs have changed in later model years, so what someone else tells you is right for their model year may not be right for your 2007.

The "Temperature Sender" is the sensor, if that is what you need.

If I recall correctly, you can just replace the thermostat without replacing the housing but you should replace the gasket once you disturb the housing (assuming we are discussing the housing gasket).

As far as how to change the thermostat: I believe someone recently posting a basic "How-to" in one of these threads. If I recall correctly, they said it was a bit of a knuckle buster.

EDIT - Here is that other thread - www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=188558.0

If no one else jumps in and you need more detailed information, you can PM "ciscoford23" for the Service Manual instructions pertaining to the thermostat replacement. He is not as active anymore, but has been more than happy to help FFC members (myself included) in the past. Send him a detailed PM with what you need and your E-mail address and I am sure he will get back to you shortly. Just keep in mind that he is not as active anymore, so just be patient.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

EDITED PS - How many miles on your car? The thermostat/housing etc. are covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. Off the top of my head, I am not sure about the sensor/sending unit.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
acedeuce802

Thanks for the help! I called my local dealership, and they said that this is NOT covered under the powertrain warranty (I have 47,000 miles). That is the reason I set out on doing this myself. Maybe I should try another dealership and see what they say. At first, I was just going to go to the dealer to see whether it was the temperature sensor or the thermostat, but someone told me it would cost $60 just to diagnose the problem. If it is under warranty, will I still have to pay that $60?

I need a new sig.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=191547.msg4038500#msg4038500 date=1306966532]
Thanks for the help! I called my local dealership, and they said that this is NOT covered under the powertrain warranty (I have 47,000 miles). That is the reason I set out on doing this myself. Maybe I should try another dealership and see what they say. At first, I was just going to go to the dealer to see whether it was the temperature sensor or the thermostat, but someone told me it would cost $60 just to diagnose the problem. If it is under warranty, will I still have to pay that $60?
[/quote]

Hi Adam. The thermostat, thermostat housing and many other components are covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. However, the sensor/sending unit may not be. See this thread and my reply #15: www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=188912.0 For a list of all covered components and more in-depth information see your Ford Owners Warranty Guide. You were given one when you purchased your car (if you purchased new). If you purchased used or can't find your copy, you can downland the PDF version here: www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

The problem determining whether your particular issue will be covered under the Powertrain Warranty is determining what is actually causing your CEL (P0128). There are multiple possibilities. If it is being caused by a covered item, then it falls under the Powertrain Warranty. If the cause is not a bad thermostat or other covered component, then it is not covered under the Powertrain Warranty. And without going through the proper troubleshooting tree, it is hard to accurately ascertain what the underlying cause actually is.

However, your first step (in my opinion) is to read the Powertrain Warranty covered item section in the Ford Owners Warranty Guide. This will give you the correct information concerning your Warranty rights and coverages. A bad thermostat certainly is covered, so the Dealer contact you spoke to either is confused, ill informed or there was some type of miscommunication. However, having the correct information at your fingertips is your best defense against mistakes by others.

If the cause of your issues is covered under the Powertrain Warranty, then there is no diagnostic fee.

Hope this helps. If anything I wrote is confusing, feel free to ask more questions.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
niterdr
Grand Am Series

just replace it yourself. its not that difficult with a friend and the right tools. i didnt replace the sensor but just the thermostat itself. i used a 50/50 mix from advance auto parts and its holding up fine. the part came from a ford dealership and it already had a gasket with it. i had to remove the power steering pump in order to access the thermostat and i have an 06

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=186503.0
niterdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
acedeuce802

I think I'm just going to replace it all myself. I don't want to get charged a diagnostic fee if it happens to be the coolant temperature sensor. Plus I'd like to learn how to do stuff like this.

High Roll3r, is it necessary to replace the serpentine belt? I saw in the other thread that you replaced that too. Also, what has to be done to remove the powersteering pump? Does the fluid have to be drained?

I need a new sig.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
schnacko23
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to schnacko23 Send a message via MSN to schnacko23

[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=191547.msg4038611#msg4038611 date=1306976125]
I think I'm just going to replace it all myself. I don't want to get charged a diagnostic fee if it happens to be the coolant temperature sensor. Plus I'd like to learn how to do stuff like this.

High Roll3r, is it necessary to replace the serpentine belt? I saw in the other thread that you replaced that too. Also, what has to be done to remove the powersteering pump? Does the fluid have to be drained?
[/quote]

I literally just had my thermostat replaced today at a local garage. About 1hr labor and a $62 thermostat housing. Don't know if the thermostat is replacable itself, but I do know that the garage's and dealers I went to will not replace just the stat. They have to do the entire thing. That is what is in the maintenance manuels for our gen cars. Also, the thermostat is more than likely the problem, have you noticed the code coming up before? OR has your temperature guage moved while driving already up to temp? That is what mine was doing and it tacks now exactly where it is supposed to. (I took it for a 30 mile drive or so today) Whatever you do, try one part at a time. Thermostat is more than likely the problem. How many miles also are on your car? Everyone has been pulling that code around 73-76,000 miles or so. There is another post on here describing that problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
acedeuce802

I have noticed that for the past few weeks, after driving a while on the highway, the temperature gauge will back off a little bit, on the cold side.

I need a new sig.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
schnacko23
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to schnacko23 Send a message via MSN to schnacko23

[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=191547.msg4038636#msg4038636 date=1306978362]
I have noticed that for the past few weeks, after driving a while on the highway, the temperature gauge will back off a little bit, on the cold side.
[/quote]

Thermostat. You are describing my exact problem, and mine is all fixed now! Time to get that outdated inspection...
Old 06-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
acedeuce802

Cool thanks! Parts are ordered.

I need a new sig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care