StarGard Anti-theft Device question - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
koenig1
Grand Am Series

Send a message via MSN to koenig1 Send a message via Yahoo to koenig1
Default StarGard Anti-theft Device question

So I was just going through some paperwork and came across this "feature" which cost me 300 dollars. I was unsure what it was so I looked into it and found that's it's that little kill-switch key under the steering wheel. I also found that a lot of people HATE it, and ask for it to be removed. My question is, am I able to return to Ford and have them remove this and refund me my 300 dollars? Not sure if it makes a difference, but I bought the car in Oct. of last year. I don't really see a point to this feature in my car as I don't live in an area where a lot of thefts occur. I also read in some instances that it actually prevented the car(s) from starting and that the owner removed it themselves and the car turned on again. Any input would be appreciated.
White Platinum Tri-Coat Metallic Ext. Paint | Morimoto Elite 35w 6000k HID System | 30% front 5% back window tint | Switchback LED turn signals | VG Sharkfin Mark II | Wheels: 20in. Boss 340's | Tires: 245/35/20 Falken FK452
koenig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Mutnat
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via MSN to Mutnat
Default Re: StarGard Anti-theft Device question

[quote author=Koenig1 link=topic=189132.msg3989909#msg3989909 date=1302478285]
So I was just going through some paperwork and came across this "feature" which cost me 300 dollars. I was unsure what it was so I looked into it and found that's it's that little kill-switch key under the steering wheel.
[/quote]

I've never heard of this feature. Was it factory-installed or dealer-installed? I doubt they'll remove it and refund you anything, to be honest.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
koenig1
Grand Am Series

I think it's factory installed, because all cars that I saw the day I purchased my fusion had that security key feature. Maybe it is dealer installed, I'm not sure. It looks like this. It's not exactly under the steering wheel though, it's closer to the pedals I guess, like a halfway point between the steering wheel and the pedals.

White Platinum Tri-Coat Metallic Ext. Paint | Morimoto Elite 35w 6000k HID System | 30% front 5% back window tint | Switchback LED turn signals | VG Sharkfin Mark II | Wheels: 20in. Boss 340's | Tires: 245/35/20 Falken FK452
Old 04-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Koenig1 link=topic=189132.msg3989986#msg3989986 date=1302483346]
I think it's factory installed, because all cars that I saw the day I purchased my fusion had that security key feature. Maybe it is dealer installed, I'm not sure. It looks like this. It's not exactly under the steering wheel though, it's closer to the pedals I guess, like a halfway point between the steering wheel and the pedals.

[/quote]

Hi Koenig. It is a Dealer installed add-on, as there is no such Factory installed feature from Ford.

This is between you and the Dealer, not Ford. As you stated, it has been approximately 6 months since you purchased the car, so all you can do is approach the Dealer, tell them you were not aware they had added this "feature" to your car, then inform them you would like them to remove it and refund your money. Be ready for the nearly inevitable reality that the Dealer may present paperwork you signed which lists the Dealer option and shows you agreed to the Dealer installed feature (although you did not realize it at the time).

In the end, it never hurts to ask, so let us know how you make out and good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
koenig1
Grand Am Series

Thanks bbf2530! I'm going to give them a call and see if I can get this worked out. You're correct though, I did sign agreeing to the add-on. At the time, they didn't explain to me what it was exactly I just figured it was an alarm or something so I didn't question it. Would that fact keep me from getting a refund? I'm sure they'll remove it, but they probably won't want to give me the money back.. either way, we'll see
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
seasonalskier

Send a message via AIM to seasonalskier Send a message via Yahoo to seasonalskier

Dang, I wish I had that! Is it just a thing where you remove it every time you leave the car then insert it when you get back?
seasonalskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Mutnat
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via MSN to Mutnat

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=189132.msg3990574#msg3990574 date=1302538326]
Dang, I wish I had that! Is it just a thing where you remove it every time you leave the car then insert it when you get back?
[/quote]

Isn't it redundant though? All Fusions have Ford's PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) that already has an ignition diabler... you can't start the car without a coded key already.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
seasonalskier

Send a message via AIM to seasonalskier Send a message via Yahoo to seasonalskier

The theifs around here are getting better with the cars, a 2010 Zephyr was stolen off campus a few weeks ago. So to me overkill is still not enough.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
fatabbot
Super Moderator

Yeah, factory theft deterrent systems work for a few months after their release until every two bit thief learns how to disable them.

Why won't anyone steal my Subaru?
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
seasonalskier

You hate the scoobie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford General Discussion > Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln Zephyr & MKZ