Quick questions about hub size - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
07V6shaner
Grand Am Series

Send a message via MSN to 07V6shaner
Default Quick questions about hub size

Looking @ a set of 18" G35 rims , buddy has it on his 08' nissan altima .. did some research and they have a 66.1mm center bore and the fusions have a 67.1mm .. do i need one of those rings for me to use these rims and tires ???? thanks all

http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ268192454
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Default Re: Quick questions about hub size

[quote author=07V6shaner link=topic=188222.msg3971767#msg3971767 date=1300898041]
Looking @ a set of 18" G35 rims , buddy has it on his 08' nissan altima .. did some research and they have a 66.1mm center bore and the fusions have a 67.1mm .. do i need one of those rings for me to use these rims and tires ???? thanks all

http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ268192454
[/quote]

Hi shaner. You can not use them as the the center-bore is too small and they will not properly fit the Fusion. You can only use "hub-rings" (what I assume you are referring to) when the aftermarket wheel has a larger bore size than stock. The wheels your friend has have a smaller bore size (66.1mm versus 67.1mm).

To use them, you would need to have the center-bore made larger (67.1mm) by a machine shop. Yes, some members here have stated they have done it themselves, but that is really not recommended unless you really know what you are doing.

Others may recommend adapters/spacers, but again, that is another "Rube Goldberg" fix that automotive professionals highly advise against.

Additionally, to ensure proper fit for any wheel, you also need to know the wheel width and "offset".

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
07V6shaner
Grand Am Series

Send a message via MSN to 07V6shaner

I'm not sure exactly if the RIMS bore size is that , i just know that his cars is that size, who knows maybe these rims are bigger than his and he didn't evn know it , i'd have to go see the rims and test fit one in person really
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=07V6shaner link=topic=188222.msg3971777#msg3971777 date=1300898984]
I'm not sure exactly if the RIMS bore size is that , i just know that his cars is that size, who knows maybe these rims are bigger than his and he didn't evn know it , i'd have to go see the rims and test fit one in person really
[/quote]

Hi shaner. Okay, well I was basing my answer on the information you gave ("...did some research and they have a 66.1mm center bore...&quot.

Just so we have the terminology straight (makes it easier to answer questions correctly): The "center-bore" size is the measurement of the hole in the middle of the wheel. The "hub" size is the measurement of the hub which is located on the car itself (the knob that sticks out through the brake rotor, which the wheel fits over).

Let us know what you find out.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
seasonalskier

Send a message via AIM to seasonalskier Send a message via Yahoo to seasonalskier

IIRC you can't even run a tire unless the center bore size is correct, otherwise it will wobble something bad.
seasonalskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=188222.msg3971801#msg3971801 date=1300899842]
IIRC you can't even run a tire unless the center bore size is correct, otherwise it will wobble something bad.
[/quote]

Hi Kenny. If every other type/size criteria of the wheel is acceptable (diameter, width, offset, lug spacing, hub-centric vs. lug-centric etc.), a wheel with a larger than stock center-bore can be installed as long as the correctly sized centering/hub-rings are installed on the wheel first.

While I would not use a wheel that requires centering/hub-rings myself (but I am leaving my personal opinion out), professional automotive experts do say centering/hub-rings can be used as long as they are of quality construction and correctly sized. Many people do use them with no problems. Just don't use cheap, poorly fitting knock-offs.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
seasonalskier

Send a message via AIM to seasonalskier Send a message via Yahoo to seasonalskier

Right, what I was referring to is that rim has to have the same bore as the car its on, so there is a one in a million chance the rim has a hubcentric ring that is the size or larger than the Fusions bore. That's all. :P
Old 03-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=188222.msg3971848#msg3971848 date=1300900917]
Right, what I was referring to is that rim has to have the same bore as the car its on, so there is a one in a million chance the rim has a hubcentric ring that is the size or larger than the Fusions bore. That's all. :P
[/quote]

Hi Kenny. It is a rainy and dreary day here, so maybe my comprehension skills are a bit off today, but...HUH??? (just kidding :lmao.

The wheels on his friends Altima are not stock/factory Altima wheels. According to shaner (and the ad in the link), they are from an Infinitt G35. Are you sure the G35 and Altima have the same hub and center-bore sizing? If you are sure, I will take your word for it.

I am not sure what the factory G35 hub or center-bore sizing is. Additionally, with the way things sometimes go here, I am not assuming that initial 66.1mm measurement (hub or center-bore) is even accurate. Maybe his friend already has hub-rings on them (or maybe not)? Or perhaps he should but doesn't (would not be the first time we saw that happen ). Or maybe they are the same size as the factory Altima wheels. Since things seemed a bit unsure, I figured I would provide all the information and then wait until shaner double checks everything and gets back to us.

I just did not want to make any assumptions until we were sure about the information.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
seasonalskier

Ya....must be the rainy day because I didn't even see the comment about the G35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Wheels / Tires