Removing Battery, Negative Terminal? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
dcolumbus
Bicycle Rider

Default Removing Battery, Negative Terminal?

Hey all!

I hope you can help me with this.

So what the frick? For some reason Ford decided to be "smart" and not allow for any mere human to replace their battery. I've been struggling with the negative battery terminal for far too long. I did a little research and apparently I need a battery terminal remover? Since when? I went into Pep Boys and they didn't even know what I was talking about.

How do I remove the negative battery terminal on my 2008 Fusion SEL6?

Thank you!
dcolumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
HALOREALM
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: Removing Battery, Negative Terminal?

I just changed mine and all I used was a socket set. Got any pics of this?
HALOREALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
dcolumbus
Bicycle Rider

No pics. I wouldn't be able to take a picture of the issue anyway.

I loosen the negative terminal and it just slightly moves side to side. I can't pull up on it. There seems to be some kind of lip preventing it from sliding off... hence the terminal remover, I guess.

You have the exact same car I do?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
HALOREALM

06 SEL...can't imagine there is much different...??
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=dcolumbus link=topic=184621.msg3902698#msg3902698 date=1294625923]
Hey all!

I hope you can help me with this.

So what the frick? For some reason Ford decided to be "smart" and not allow for any mere human to replace their battery. I've been struggling with the negative battery terminal for far too long. I did a little research and apparently I need a battery terminal remover? Since when? I went into Pep Boys and they didn't even know what I was talking about.

How do I remove the negative battery terminal on my 2008 Fusion SEL6?

Thank you!
[/quote]

Hi dcolumbus. Don't know if this will help solve your particular problem or not (also don't know why Pep Boys did not know what a "battery terminal remover" is), but here is what a battery terminal puller/remover looks like:

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
acedeuce802

I got mine off, try pulling harder?

I need a new sig.
acedeuce802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
dcolumbus
Bicycle Rider

Honestly no one knows that this problem is? I can't imagine that my car is somehow different than every other Fusion... this is ridiculous.

If I try and pry the terminal off at all, the metal (led or something) just bends. It's so frustrating. There's got to be a reason for this...
Old 01-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
HALOREALM

IDK...I just loosened the nut and pulled up. It was really not even hard to remove.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
biggee72
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to biggee72

06 has a different battery than the 07+. On my 2007 the positive terminal was difficult to maneuver.
biggee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
blackfusion06
F1 Driver

I just loosened the nut stuck a flat headed screwdriver in the slot to open the clip and levered it off by putting the 8mm open ended wrench under the upper part and it came off easy. I really dont know why ford felt the need to make the cables so tight though? It was harder to put the cables back on. The negative was easy but the new battery was a little taller so the positive was hard to get on. I had to pop the clips like one of the other forum members posted to get the slack then couldnt get it back in though. (damn fat hands) That and I catapulted the little nut a few times trying to get the hold down bracket back on it. :shock:
blackfusion06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care