Squeaky front end ??? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
InfusedSE
Moped Rider

Default Squeaky front end ???

Car is a 06 3.0L SE with 78K, unknown service history.

I got this car with 72K on it in July. I noticed now the front end squeaks when I hit bumps or pushing down on the front of the car. It is also squeaking when I turn the steering wheel at a stop and at low speeds, can't really hear it at higher speed. The power streering fluid was a litttle low, I topped it off but no change. I haven't had this car on a lift yet to look at. Its there any lube points or fittings I can grease and where are they if they exist. Maybe it needs struts? Ball joints I hope not. No heavy rattles, just squeaking. Any helpful input appreciated.
InfusedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Default Re: Squeaky front end ???

[quote author=InfusedSE link=topic=182212.msg3856819#msg3856819 date=1289530434]
Car is a 06 3.0L SE with 78K, unknown service history.

I got this car with 72K on it in July. I noticed now the front end squeaks when I hit bumps or pushing down on the front of the car. It is also squeaking when I turn the steering wheel at a stop and at low speeds, can't really hear it at higher speed. The power streering fluid was a litttle low, I topped it off but no change. I haven't had this car on a lift yet to look at. Its there any lube points or fittings I can grease and where are they if they exist. Maybe it needs struts? Ball joints I hope not. No heavy rattles, just squeaking. Any helpful input appreciated.
[/quote]

Hi Infused. Many possibilities. In my experience, start by checking the struts/shocks and swaybar end links. You can also check this TSB for another possibility: www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=123896.0

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
InfusedSE
Moped Rider

Thanks for the info...the car is going into the Ford dealership next week for service, I'll post up what ever the problem is.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Gravey
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Mine squeaks for time to time ever since I lowered it, I believe it is my struts.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
yeloxr7
Grand Am Series

Mine had a pretty bad rubber squeak for a while. I checked to make sure everything was OK, then sprayed all the rubber-to-metal joints (control arm bushings, anti-roll bar bushings) with silicone spray. I had to do this twice. Front end has been quiet for about three months now. Don't spray ball joints or tie rod ends!!!!!

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 351W

My other 1200 cars are 1/25 scale.......
yeloxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
InfusedSE
Moped Rider

[quote author=yeloxr7 link=topic=182212.msg3861308#msg3861308 date=1289950746]
Mine had a pretty bad rubber squeak for a while. I checked to make sure everything was OK, then sprayed all the rubber-to-metal joints (control arm bushings, anti-roll bar bushings) with silicone spray. I had to do this twice. Front end has been quiet for about three months now. Don't spray ball joints or tie rod ends!!!!!
[/quote]

I suppose I will try that. What kind of spray lubricant did you use?

The Dealer I went too couldn't find anything making noise in the front end but it was raining and rain usually shuts it up. Well at least they did a bunch of other stuff it was due for and the PCM flashes it needed.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
yeloxr7
Grand Am Series

I just used silicone spray. Don't recall what brand it was. You can get it at any good parts store.

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 351W

My other 1200 cars are 1/25 scale.......
yeloxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
bruker
Go-Kart Driver

I had the same issue with my `06 Milan. The colder it got outside the squeakier it got. I lubed everything that moved and it still sqeaked. I took out the shocks & springs and lubed them and it still squeaked. Then I read about the cracked subframe issue and worried about that. One day when it was cold out I put the car on ramps, crawled underneath and started pushing up and down to get the car to bounce. It turned out that the ball joints were the source of the squeak so out came the grease needle. I put a couple pumps of grease in each ball joint and the noise has been gone ever since. It's been ~70,000 miles since I did this and it's still quiet!
bruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
InfusedSE
Moped Rider

I was able to pull the front wheels yesterday and spray lube all the to rubber bushings and sway bar end links. Took it for a ride and no change. Did it all again just to be sure and still no change. The squeaking is coming from the right front for sure. Perhaps I will try the grease neeedle on the ball joints. It just sounds like it's higher in the suspension like maybe the stut and spring assembly. The look quite difficult to service in the driveway. Any easy way to lubricate the spring and strut? Perhaps the spring perches are dry? I don't know.....
Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
bruker
Go-Kart Driver

I too thought it was in the struts or springs until I discovered it was in the ball joints. Squirt some grease in the ball joints, it can't hurt.
bruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Suspension / Brakes