bolt pattern ?? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
T_2010SEL
Bicycle Rider

Default bolt pattern ??

I have a 2010 with factory 17's and I believe the bolt pattern is 5x114.3

My Question is......can I put on 18's that are 5x115

I am asking because the difference is 0.7mm.....does that really matter?
T_2010SEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Canadian_LX

Default Re: bolt pattern ??

5x115 will fit as long as the centre bore is the same.
Canadian_LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=T_2010SEL link=topic=181824.msg3848259#msg3848259 date=1288789911]

[/quote]

Hi T_2010. With all due respect to my friend Canadian_LX, we disagree on this subject: Does that .7mm really matter? Yes. The correct size for the Fusion is 5x114.3. While a 5x115 will be able to be squeezed on, it is not the correct size and can cause problems, since the improper fit can cause the wheel to be incorrectly centered.

How can you find a definitive answer? I would recommend you contact a professional wheel source such as The Tire Rack, Discount Tire etc. for verification. If they tell you that you can use a 5x115, then I am incorrect and you should feel free to use that size.

I can vouch for the fact that when I just took a quick look, I could not find a 5x115 wheel in the recommend list for our cars at The Tire Rack.

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Big Jim
Le Mans: GT Class

[quote author=T_2010SEL link=topic=181824.msg3848259#msg3848259 date=1288789911]

[/quote]

I'll be VERY BLUNT.

"My Question is......can I put on 18's that are 5x115"

HELL NO.

"I am asking because the difference is 0.7mm.....does that really matter?"

HELL YES IT MATTERS.

But then it is your car, and If the appearance of the wheels means more to you than the proper safety and function of the car then go right ahead, but please never drive it anywhere near where I'm driving.

Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Canadian_LX

He asked if they would fit, and they do.

I know many people who have put 5x115 rims on a 5x114.3 pattern, or vice versa as the Chrysler/Dodge guys do it all the time and have no issues at all.

Is it the safest or smartest? Not necessarily. But will they fit? Yes, they will.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
blackfusion06
F1 Driver

Going to have to side with canadian lx as I have had both 115 and 114.3 on the fusion as long as you have the correct hub ring you will be ok. Just keep an eye on the lugs every oil change or so. I never had one back off but hey whatever. It is 3/128ths of an inch. or less than 1/32" difference. Is it the correct thing to do ehhhhhh will it work with little to no issue yes.

if your buying new get the right ones if your getting a great deal used then they will work just my $0.02.
blackfusion06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Hi Canadian and blackfusion. Yes, he "asked if they would fit". However, even though he does not specifically ask, I believe it is safe to assume that he would also like to know whether it is "safest or smartest" to use them, to which even you guys admit the answer is no. I don't believe he only wants to know if they can be squeezed on, forget about the consequences.

If you reread my reply, I think it was very reasonable. I stated that the 5x115's will be able to be squeezed on, but that they are the wrong size and should not be used. That is what the experts say.

I then stated that he should call The Tire Rack, Discount Tire or a similar professional source where he can get expert advice as to whether he should try fitting 5x115 wheels to our cars (which specifically take a 5x114.3). And if the experts state otherwise, then I was incorrect and he can use them.

I have now consulted with The Tire Rack and know the expert answer. Other than that, I don't see how it makes any sense for a bunch of us "non-experts" to debate it.

Once he consults with an expert source, hopefully he will post back and tell us what he found out.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
blackfusion06
F1 Driver

No one is flaming you bbf Your knowledge is usefull and helpfull. On the rim issue I have had personal experience on both 115 and 114.3. I had a set of 115 off of a 300m on my diamante for over 2 years with no issue and the diamante was a 114.3. No wobble no issues what so ever. I put them on the fusion when i got it however they rubbed the rear suspension on hard corners so I took them off. I then purchased the 114.3 I have on there now. I dont know why car companies have to be stupid and make rim bolt patterns so close but not exact but hey whatever.

If he is getting a good deal I personally say get them but that is his deal to make. If he is buying new then he should just get the right bolt pattern.

There are guys on the forum running the right bolt pattern but the wrong offset so they are technically putting the wrong rims on their cars too. It comes down to one choice and thats the owners. I don't subscribe to you have to put the exact reccomended thing on the car that is why I am running mazda6 stuff. It's not exact but its close enough. That and I am too cheap to buy brand new.
blackfusion06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=blackfusion06 link=topic=181824.msg3848685#msg3848685 date=1288810021]
No one is flaming you bbf Your knowledge is usefull and helpfull. On the rim issue I have had personal experience on both 115 and 114.3. I had a set of 115 off of a 300m on my diamante for over 2 years with no issue and the diamante was a 114.3. No wobble no issues what so ever. I put them on the fusion when i got it however they rubbed the rear suspension on hard corners so I took them off. I then purchased the 114.3 I have on there now. I dont know why car companies have to be stupid and make rim bolt patterns so close but not exact but hey whatever.

If he is getting a good deal I personally say get them but that is his deal to make. If he is buying new then he should just get the right bolt pattern.

There are guys on the forum running the right bolt pattern but the wrong offset so they are technically putting the wrong rims on their cars too. It comes down to one choice and thats the owners. I don't subscribe to you have to put the exact reccomended thing on the car that is why I am running mazda6 stuff. It's not exact but its close enough. That and I am too cheap to buy brand new.
[/quote]

Hi blackfusion. Thanks and right back at you! And I do agree with you to a certain extent.

Now, instead of me delving any deeper into specifics we have mentioned , I think it best that T_2010SEL consult The Tire Rack or other professional wheel fitment sources (as I did), take all of the member advice he has received from us, and then decide which wheels he would feel most comfortable installing on his car.

Good luck.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Canadian_LX

As mentioned by Blackfusion, no one is flaming or attacking you BBF.

Of all people on this forum, you are the one who consistently errs on the side of caution and would rather an OP be given the correct and safest information rather than what is generally acceptable. It is for this reason that myself and im sure most other users here respect your opinion and advice over many others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Wheels / Tires