Synthetic vs Conventional Oil - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
blackfusion07
F1 Driver

Default Synthetic vs Conventional Oil

Hopefully this doesn't spark too much of a debate, I'm just looking for a couple quick answers.

I'm a couple hundred miles over my suggested 3000 mile oil change. A roommate suggested I switch over to synthetic (gave me the oil run down) and pretty much convinced me to do so. Now this morning a friend of mine said switching to synthetic for the first time at 78k miles could cause issues, such as leaks.

Does anyone see a problem with me switching over? I'd like to due to the benefits, but if there are leaks, seals or any gasket issues I would assume to stick with conventional.
blackfusion07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
fatabbot
Super Moderator

Default Re: Synthetic vs Conventional Oil

It shouldn't cause any issues.

I have no problem with synthetic oils, but I will warn you to not listen to some of the hype. An engine changed with conventional oil at reasonable intervals will last just as long.

When I change my own oil, which is becoming increasingly rare as I get free maintenance on my car, I use NAPA brand full synthetic. Half the price of the overhyped oils and gets just as good of UOAs.
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=BlackFusion07 link=topic=180920.msg3828946#msg3828946 date=1287152296]
Hopefully this doesn't spark too much of a debate, I'm just looking for a couple quick answers.

I'm a couple hundred miles over my suggested 3000 mile oil change. A roommate suggested I switch over to synthetic (gave me the oil run down) and pretty much convinced me to do so. Now this morning a friend of mine said switching to synthetic for the first time at 78k miles could cause issues, such as leaks.

Does anyone see a problem with me switching over? I'd like to due to the benefits, but if there are leaks, seals or any gasket issues I would assume to stick with conventional.
[/quote]

Edit - When I began typing my reply, fatabbot had not yet posted yet. Curse my slow fingers!
:lmao:

Hi BlackFusion. There is no reason that you can not switch over to a full synthetic with your mileage, if you wish.

Also, just as an FYI: I believe that the "Normal Service" oil change interval for the 2007 Fusion (I-4 and V-6) is 6 months/5,000 miles. "Severe Duty" or "Severe Service" would be 6 months/3,000 miles EDIT-3 months/3,000 miles. But don't take my word for it, you can find the correct information in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide. My apologies if you already knew the "Recommended OCI" information. And of course, if you wish to change earlier than Ford recommends, it will certainly not hurt anything.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
blackfusion07
F1 Driver

Thanks for the info fellas. I figured synthetic wouldn't cause any issues but I'd rather ask before I do.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Curmudgeon
Short Track Racer

BlackFusion...just curious...what oil are you currently using, i.e. at the time of your initial inquiry?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
blackfusion07
F1 Driver

I'm not exactly sure what was in it previously. I ended up going with Valvoline this time around...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
HALOREALM
Le Mans: Prototype Class

I just stayed with the Motorcraft semi-syn @ 5000. I am amazed how clean the stuff looks at oil change.
HALOREALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Curmudgeon
Short Track Racer

[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=180920.msg3839852#msg3839852 date=1288057229]
I just stayed with the Motorcraft semi-syn @ 5000. I am amazed how clean the stuff looks at oil change.
[/quote]

We won't know until the GF-5/SN Motorcraft 5W20 semi-syn specs are available, but I suspect that oil's characteristics will be equivalent to some GF-4 'synthetics' (the distinction between conventional, semi-syn, and syn is getting nearly indistinguishable). With UOA TBNs of circa 3.4 (1/2 of virgin) at 5,000 miles, I'm convinced that my regimen of using Motorcraft semi-syn and DIY changes at 5,000 miles/6 months is cost effective and provides optimal engine care under my driving conditions and mild climate.

The last oil change I did on my 2nd vehicle (2004 5.4 F-150) was with Pennzoil 5W20 'conventional' (can any of the GF-5 oils be labeled [b]conventional[b] any more). The new PYB meets/exceeds GF-5 and Ford's 930 specs.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care