Radio interference after LED tail light install - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
krgross
Moped Rider

Default Radio interference after LED tail light install

Question for all the LED tail light owners around. Do you notice any interference noise when light is on or blinking? I had LEDs' in two previous vehicles and had the noise issue. I just upgraded from a 2007 Fusion to a 2010 and really would like to get the LEDs' again.
krgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
nuge
Short Track Racer

Default Re: Radio interference after LED tail light install

Do you have pics of the LED tails? I'm curious as to how they look.
Ford Racing 1.5" lowering springs, MagnaFlow Cat-Back exhaust system, resonator delete, smoked side markers w/amber LEDs, ultra white license plate/puddle lamp LEDs, Lamin-X "Gunsmoke" heads and tails, Carbon Fiber "B" pillar covers by CFCovers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3855427
nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
The Only MTS
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to The Only MTS

I get it if I forget to set head light to ON, and the DRLs f*ck with the HIDs. Radio goes nuts with static.
The Only MTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
sinthcity
Short Track Racer

[quote author=The Only MTS link=topic=180124.msg3811559#msg3811559 date=1285768297]
I get it if I forget to set head light to ON, and the DRLs f*ck with the HIDs. Radio goes nuts with static.
[/quote]

Just radio or while playing a CD as well? If its just the radio, then there's likely not much you can do.

In either case, though, check to make sure your transformer for LEDs and transformers for HIDs aren't near your antenna wires or speaker wires.

I know that high power cables can cause interference in low power cables - the reason to run your amp signal cables down the driver side, and power cables down the passenger side (or vice versa).
sinthcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
The Only MTS
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to The Only MTS

Nowhere near.... ballasts are all under the hood, and the antenna is on the rear of the roof. Only on radio, and hell it lets me know that the HID is not firing properly, so I can turn the switch to ON thus removing the DRL.
The Only MTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
krgross
Moped Rider

I had the issue on a 2008 Altima and a 2005 F150, both had the issue only with AM radio which I listen to a lot since the local sports teams do not have FM broadcasts. The Altima had factory HIDs, the F150 just regular old halogens, so I can't blame it on the HIDs. I think I will pick up some LED bulbs anyways in hopes that Ford has improved their electronics

I will post pics once they're installed.
krgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Gilbertsville PA
Short Track Racer

Led light do not need transformers. They should only need a resistor. They are DC powered just like the incandescent bulbs they replace. HID need all sort of electronic magic to boost the voltage and control the current.

Update: I did not know that they placed the LED's in series.
Gilbertsville PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
sinthcity
Short Track Racer

[quote author=Gilbertsville PA link=topic=180124.msg3813393#msg3813393 date=1285859752]
Led light do not need transformers. They should only need a resistor. They are DC powered just like the incandescent bulbs they replace. HID need all sort of electronic magic to boost the voltage and control the current.
[/quote]

Some LED solutions are not 12v - they may be higher or lower requiring a power converter. However, you're correct in saying only the high voltage/hi amperage devices should cause interference.

A friend had neon tubes under his glove box and steering wheel to highlight the floormats (or whatever) and even their small transformers caused interference on his speakers.

edit: they were cold cathode tubes, but still had a 12v-whatever transformer

edit again: neon is a type of cold cathode tube
sinthcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
mrkyle3
Short Track Racer

I get radio interference from my HIDs. You don't notice it unless the station is far enough away to where the signal is just strong enough to be clear then you hear all the static
Old 10-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
hybrid driver
Short Track Racer

How did this get from the OP's question about LEDs to HIDs?
hybrid driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Exterior Lighting