What do the letters mean? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
hondaconvert
Go-Kart Driver

Default What do the letters mean?

So today I parked relatively close to another SEL, and I wondered, "What does SEL stand for? And What about S and SE?" In "the old days" these designations were pretty obvious, L for luxury, S for sport, etc. So what do the current letters mean?
My Car so far...'10 SEL V6 AWD...smokestone/med. light stone leather...Moon and Tune...CD3Fusion shortie antenna...Lloyd mats...Patriot custom emblem decal...LED license plate, map, puddle and dome/reading lamps...
hondaconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Default Re: What do the letters mean?

[quote author=hondaconvert link=topic=176779.msg3736831#msg3736831 date=1279833555]
So today I parked relatively close to another SEL, and I wondered, "What does SEL stand for? And What about S and SE?" In "the old days" these designations were pretty obvious, L for luxury, S for sport, etc. So what do the current letters mean?
[/quote]

Hi hondaconvert. In reality, with the Fusion they don't mean anything other than trim designations. As you stated, in the old days S might mean "Sport". SE might designate a "Sport Edition" etc. But obviously, the Fusion S is not the Sport model. And the SE would also not be the "Sport Edition". Yes, the SEL is the most "luxurious" Fusion, but is that what the L stands for? Maybe, but it certainly is not the "Sport Edition Luxury", so who knows. They are now simply semi-random trim level designations made up by the Marketing Department. S, SE and SEL just have some history with Ford and sounded good to those that make the naming decisions. Ford has also used L, LX, LXE, LS, LSE and many more designations in the past. All of them really having no great meaning after a few years.

S, SE and SEL have simply become common trim designations for some Ford Division vehicles, with S being the base trim level model, SE being a mid-level trim model and SEL sometimes being the top of the line. With some other models (i.e. the Edge and Taurus) Limited is also added as the highest trim level. Then of course, there is the aforementioned Sport models (or SHO) for the top of the line Sport models.

Again however, with our Fusions, the S, SE and SEL are simply alphanumeric designations created by Marketing Departments, which really have no meaning other than signifying a base, mid-level and high trim level. In the same manner as most other car makers alphanumeric designations. And yes, of course there are always exceptions with other manufacturers where the numbers and letters do designate something (e.g. engine size/type, turbocharged, supercharged etc.), but that is not the case with our cars.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
HALOREALM
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Sport
Sport Edition
Sport Edition Limited
HALOREALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
biggee72
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to biggee72

[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=176779.msg3736890#msg3736890 date=1279839593]
Sport
Sport Edition
Sport Edition Limited
[/quote]

That don't make any sense mang.
biggee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
HALOREALM

[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=176779.msg3736891#msg3736891 date=1279840840]
[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=176779.msg3736890#msg3736890 date=1279839593]
Sport
Sport Edition
Sport Edition Limited
[/quote]

That don't make any sense mang.
[/quote

What's your point?

Sounds a good as anything else. :shock:
Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
HALOREALM

Standard
Special Edition
Special Edition Limited

Now thats better
Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Curmudgeon
Short Track Racer

My SEL is an acronym for Sensuous, Exciting, Lavish!
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
blazerdude20
Grand Am Series

probably the same with the fusion, but on the focus they mean standard(S), special edition(SE), special edition sport(SES), special edition luxury(SEL). of course this is from like 2005. they probably mean nothing on the fusion.
blazerdude20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
hondaconvert
Go-Kart Driver

[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=176779.msg3736847#msg3736847 date=1279835356]
[quote author=hondaconvert link=topic=176779.msg3736831#msg3736831 date=1279833555]
[/quote]

Hi hondaconvert. In reality, with the Fusion they don't mean anything other than trim designations. As you stated, in the old days S might mean "Sport". SE might designate a "Sport Edition" etc. But obviously, the Fusion S is not the Sport model. And the SE would also not be the "Sport Edition". Yes, the SEL is the most "luxurious" Fusion, but is that what the L stands for? Maybe, but it certainly is not the "Sport Edition Luxury", so who knows. They are now simply semi-random trim level designations made up by the Marketing Department. S, SE and SEL just have some history with Ford and sounded good to those that make the naming decisions. Ford has also used L, LX, LXE, LS, LSE and many more designations in the past. All of them really having no great meaning after a few years.

S, SE and SEL have simply become common trim designations for some Ford Division vehicles, with S being the base trim level model, SE being a mid-level trim model and SEL sometimes being the top of the line. With some other models (i.e. the Edge and Taurus) Limited is also added as the highest trim level. Then of course, there is the aforementioned Sport models (or SHO) for the top of the line Sport models.

Again however, with our Fusions, the S, SE and SEL are simply alphanumeric designations created by Marketing Departments, which really have no meaning other than signifying a base, mid-level and high trim level. In the same manner as most other car makers alphanumeric designations. And yes, of course there are always exceptions with other manufacturers where the numbers and letters do designate something (e.g. engine size/type, turbocharged, supercharged etc.), but that is not the case with our cars.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck.
[/quote]
This is as I suspected. Just curious as to whether logic was at all in play. Thanks.
My Car so far...'10 SEL V6 AWD...smokestone/med. light stone leather...Moon and Tune...CD3Fusion shortie antenna...Lloyd mats...Patriot custom emblem decal...LED license plate, map, puddle and dome/reading lamps...
hondaconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
07V6shaner
Grand Am Series

Send a message via MSN to 07V6shaner

I've always wondered this, I usually make up wacky words for the letters and thats what my SEL stands for LOL
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford General Discussion > Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln Zephyr & MKZ