HOW TO... remove puddle lamp lens for LED bulb replacement. (PICS of end result) - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
nuge
Short Track Racer

Default HOW TO... remove puddle lamp lens for LED bulb replacement. (PICS of end result)

Wondering how the heck you get the lens off the puddle lamps underneath the side view mirrors on the SEL cars so that I can replace buls with bright white LEDs? I'm afraid of breaking the darn things, and hoping someone can fill me in on this. Thanks

Found the process doing a Google search:

Take the mirror and angle it down as far as possible. Then take the top end (now sticking out past the housing) and pull directly back toward you as you pull up. I know it seems like you are going to shatter your mirror but your not going to. Be careful of the wires that are attached the the mirror heater as they aren't all that long! Then take a flat screwdriver and push the clip towards the housing surrounding the light bulb so that it can be pushed down out the bottom of mirror housing. Once the light housing is free from the inside of the mirror housing just give the gray bulb holder a 1/4 turn and it pops out with the bulb. Bulb just pulls right out.
Ford Racing 1.5" lowering springs, MagnaFlow Cat-Back exhaust system, resonator delete, smoked side markers w/amber LEDs, ultra white license plate/puddle lamp LEDs, Lamin-X "Gunsmoke" heads and tails, Carbon Fiber "B" pillar covers by CFCovers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3855427
nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
fusionff

Default Re: How do you remove puddle lamp lens for LED bulb replacement??? *SOLVED*

Good work, now let us know how they differ than the stock bulbs. And of course PICS.
fusionff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Canadian_LX

Default Re: How do you remove puddle lamp lens for LED bulb replacement??? *SOLVED*

There is a guy on cardomain that's done the entire LED swap on a lincoln zephyr. Lots of pics too if you're interested.
Canadian_LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
07V6shaner
Grand Am Series

Send a message via MSN to 07V6shaner

I put LED's in my puddle lamps, only thing is they're like a single pointing beam of light that don't shine down - I'd have to buy a different kind of LED that shines light all around the bulb.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
nuge
Short Track Racer

[quote author=fusionff link=topic=174696.msg3697972#msg3697972 date=1276630783]
Good work, now let us know how they differ than the stock bulbs. And of course PICS.
[/quote]

Finally got around to swapping out the puddle lamps and license plate bulbs with the LEDs. Looks MUCH better

Ford Racing 1.5" lowering springs, MagnaFlow Cat-Back exhaust system, resonator delete, smoked side markers w/amber LEDs, ultra white license plate/puddle lamp LEDs, Lamin-X "Gunsmoke" heads and tails, Carbon Fiber "B" pillar covers by CFCovers.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
Canadian_LX

Default Re: HOW TO... remove puddle lamp lens for LED bulb replacement. (PICS of end result)

Is the light output better or poorer than the halogens?

How many LED's were on the bulb that you used?
Canadian_LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
nuge
Short Track Racer

Default Re: HOW TO... remove puddle lamp lens for LED bulb replacement. (PICS of end result)

[quote author=Canadian_LX link=topic=174696.msg3699835#msg3699835 date=1276751140]
Is the light output better or poorer than the halogens?

How many LED's were on the bulb that you used?
[/quote]
8 LEDs in each license plate festoon... MUCH brighter than stock incandescent.

7 LEDs in each puddle lamp bulb... Just as bright, if not brighter than stock even though the LEDs are not directed toward the ground. Much nicer color of light, though.

Got them all on Ebay for cheap.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
Dj Freddy D
Bicycle Rider

Would you happen to have a link for the ebay auction?
Dj Freddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
nuge
Short Track Racer

[quote author=Dj Freddy D link=topic=174696.msg3699860#msg3699860 date=1276753739]
Would you happen to have a link for the ebay auction?
[/quote]

Puddle Lamps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=300424942310

Plate lights:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Old 06-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #10
Dj Freddy D
Bicycle Rider

Thank You!
Dj Freddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Exterior Lighting