Should I get rust protection/undercoat? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
sdeprez
Bicycle Rider

Default Should I get rust protection/undercoat?

I'm waiting for delivery of my new 2010 Ford Fusion SEL.

I need to decide whether to get the rust protection and soundshield/undercoat suggested by the dealership. I live in the midwest which can have severe winters (this last winter is a good example) but I make a point to wash my car at least once a month in a car wash with underbody washing during the winter.

I traded in a 2000 Acura TL that didn't have any rust (although I can't remember if it got rust protection/undercoat). I'm planning on keeping this car for 10 years too.

As a side note, does anyone know if the Fusion has stainless steel body panels?
sdeprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Gravey
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: Should I get rust protection/undercoat?

No.

My friend used to work at the Mississauga Ford plant, he told me the cars role off the line with undercoating already. The sound thing is a joke too. As for rust protection I doubt you'll need that just get it rust checked every year and you'll be fine.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Canadian_LX

YES!! Absolutely get it.

Rust protection and undercoating are two completely different things.

Undercoating sprays the under side of the vehicle with a rubberized compound sealing everything, rust protection means spraying the rest of the vehicle in an anti-corrosion oil to keep it from rotting.

I wouldnt bother with an undercoat, but taking the vehicle to Krown or whatever the trusted rust proofing company down there is to have it rust proofed once a year is definitely worth the 150$. Up here we have Krown, and by getting it done with them the positives are two-fold. First, if you go every year you will never have to pay more than the first rate you paid. If prices go up, you still pay the same as you did last year. Secondly, if its rust proofed from new and anything starts to corrode its covered under the Krown rust warrantee and they will pay to have it fixed or replaced. It's a new car, dont second guess things like this.
Canadian_LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Milan Premier
Le Mans: GT Class

I wouldn't waste my money on undercoating. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a car rusted out? That's because they are using better methods to paint cars these days and already undercoating them at the factory. As far as soundproofing, that depends on how quiet you want to make your car. Being a recording engineer I understand how necessary it is to have a quiet environment when playing back music, but you may not be as sensitive to the noise. Remember, your car already comes with some soundproofing. If you want more or better sound proofing then simply get a couple cans of CAE Quiet Kote VB-1S Pro, it works incredibly well. Once it dries (takes a few days) you'll have your own little sanctuary

Milan Premier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
biggee72
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to biggee72

Basically, what it comes down to is whatever the dealer is offering is going to be over priced. These little kickers they offer in the end are just ways to squeeze a couple of extra bucks out of you. The dealership isn't magic and anything they offer you can yourself for cheaper.
biggee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
doug48843
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to doug48843

I agree with biggee and I make my living selling. Most of the crap offered by dealers is grossy overpriced and simply a way to pick up a few bucks on the "back end" of the sale.

I personally don't believe any new car needs additional "rustproofing"; as for sound deadening, while it may have some value to some people, I'm not a personal fan of it.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
jjay03
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to jjay03

[quote author=Doug48843 link=topic=171927.msg3645499#msg3645499 date=1273002965]
I agree with biggee and I make my living selling. Most of the crap offered by dealers is grossy overpriced and simply a way to pick up a few bucks on the "back end" of the sale.

I personally don't believe any new car needs additional "rustproofing"; as for sound deadening, while it may have some value to some people, I'm not a personal fan of it.
[/quote]
I agree it should be fine just wash the under side off every now and then in the winter.
jjay03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Canadian_LX

Maybe i'm the only one stressing the oiling process in this thread because im Canadian, but i see cars every day that are rusted out because of all the damn salt that the city puts on the roads in the winter. All it takes is one stone chip in the paint or a couple nicks in the rocker panels for water and salt to get in and start the process.

For 150$ a year, what is there to debate really? At least this way you know in 10 years your car will look just as clean as it did the day you bought it.

My car will be stored in winter. Even still im getting it oiled in the fall as well as having an electronic rust inhibitor installed. I have had a car rot out on me once and there is no way in hell im letting it happen again lol.
Canadian_LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
biggee72
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to biggee72

Nah, 6 yr 60k miles rust protection is it not?
biggee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
jjay03
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to jjay03

I never even heard of a company local to me that does something like spraying a oil on the car. I know of under coating but I dont want that.
jjay03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care