Car Won't Go Into Park!!! - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Ceace
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via Yahoo to Ceace
Default Car Won't Go Into Park!!!

Someone please help!! The topic says it all. My 4 cyl. automatic won't go into park. Has anyone else had this issue or know of any diagnostic procedures?
Blinking and Clear Side Markers, Debadged, 35% Tint, 18" Alloy Rims Wrapped in 245/40/18 Tires, Lip Spoiler, OEM Fog Lights, Intake Silencer Delete, Upgraded radio bezel with clock, double din touch DVD stereo, LED's, custom exhaust valance, dual exhaust upgrade, HD front lip
Ceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
20louie06
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to 20louie06
Default Re: Car Won't Go Into Park!!!

My sister's car had the same problem. I forgot exactly what broke but it cost her like $100 at the dealership.
Did you change your shifter?

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough.
My Mod Thread
20louie06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Ceace link=topic=169573.msg3590748#msg3590748 date=1269914254]
Someone please help!! The topic says it all. My 4 cyl. automatic won't go into park. Has anyone else had this issue or know of any diagnostic procedures?
[/quote]

Hi Ceace. Have you been able to remove the ignition key? If you can take the key out of the ignition, then it is in Park, but the shift indicator is off calibration.

Like 20louie06 asked, have you modified the lever or installed another shift lever as some have done?

Other than attempting to move the lever around a bit to see if you can coax it into Park, there is not much that can be done short of taking it to the Dealer.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Ceace

Nope, I have not changed the shifter, and I can't take the key out of the ignition. Taking it to the dealer is my last option since my warranty has expired.
Blinking and Clear Side Markers, Debadged, 35% Tint, 18" Alloy Rims Wrapped in 245/40/18 Tires, Lip Spoiler, OEM Fog Lights, Intake Silencer Delete, Upgraded radio bezel with clock, double din touch DVD stereo, LED's, custom exhaust valance, dual exhaust upgrade, HD front lip
Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
20louie06
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to 20louie06

My sister's Fusion has the stock shifter too. Most likely something inside of it broke. Try to take the center console apart and see if you can see what the problem is. Taking apart the shifter isn't hard either.
Here's a couple threads that can help you if you've never done it before.
http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=129886.0
http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=152521.0

I'll see my sister later on today. I'll ask her if she remembers what it was or if she has the part number of the piece.

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough.
My Mod Thread
20louie06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Ceace

Thanks for the threads 20louie!! I will take a look at it Friday since I will be off from work. My father in law told me his Silverado did the same thing and he had to unhook and reconnect the battery cable to reset the sensors. I am hoping that will solve the problem. Seems like newer cars are moving away from cables to sensors now, which puts people in predicaments similar to Toyota (sticking accelerators).
Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
hatchetkilla
Bicycle Rider

Ceace, push the shifter as far as it will go in park without breaking anything and make sure the shifter button is coming all the way out and u should get your key out. The problem is the spring in the stock shifter has become worn and compressed and it doesnt let the brake/shift interlock go into place to remove the key. Fixed i dont know many at the dealer i work at. Hope this helps.
hatchetkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Ceace

Getting my key out is not a really big issue. I have a spare and I can still lock my car, and I am not in any bad areas where I fear a car jacking. I just hate having malfunctions and it is irritating to put the car in neutral and pull up the hand brake when I park the car. If I wanted to do that I would have gotten a manual transmission. But I did try pushing the shifter as far toward park as possible, but the fear of hearing "clunk!!!" or "crack!!!" keeps me from pushing on it too hard.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #9
seasonalskier

Send a message via AIM to seasonalskier Send a message via Yahoo to seasonalskier

[quote author=Ceace link=topic=169573.msg3592858#msg3592858 date=1270006001]If I wanted to do that I would have gotten a manual transmission.
[/quote]

We just leave it in first to park, not use the e-brake

But my brothers car did this one time, if I remember correctly it turned out to be the pin that the button disengages not pulling far enough back to allow the car to go back into park. You might want to try taking the console apart and checking to see if the pin is disengaging the entire way when you press the button on the trigger.
seasonalskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
dero
Le Mans: GT Class

Try pulling out the bezel that goes around the button on the shifter. If that is the problem, I think ford has a fix for it. Mine did this but I switched to the 2010 shifter and that fixed it.
dero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain