Perma Plate - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
gosman
Moped Rider

Default Perma Plate

My daughter bought a Fusion Sport black on black. The Arlington Texas dealer talked us into Perma Plate protection package. Looks nice and guaranteed not to need waxing in 5 years!! I think we were taken but she never waxes her car and hardly ever washes it (I have to do it!). So hoping this will be better than most wax jobs. Anyone else use this product and what has been your long term results?
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Default Re: Perma Plate

[quote author=gosman link=topic=168851.msg3576179#msg3576179 date=1269036396]
My daughter bought a Fusion Sport black on black. The Arlington Texas dealer talked us into Perma Plate protection package. Looks nice and guaranteed not to need waxing in 5 years!! I think we were taken but she never waxes her car and hardly ever washes it (I have to do it!). So hoping this will be better than most wax jobs. Anyone else use this product and what has been your long term results?
[/quote]

Hi gosman. Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost?

These exterior "Protection Packages" come with all sorts of names, and they are all essentially the same. No matter which product they use, they are all essentially a very expensive wax job. And you could have purchased a to notch automotive protection product yourself and done the same job for a fraction of the price.

In addition, if you read the Warranty very closely, you will see that there are loopholes big enough to drive a truck through that let the Dealer and "Perma-Plate" company off the hook for any claims may ever have.

To put it simply, no "Paint Protection" will last 5 years. Whatever product they used, be it a natural wax, a polymer, a polymer blend etc, they all lose their protective abilities in 6 months to a year max. So the car will still need to be "waxed" in a year to keep the paint protected. If you didn't pay much more than a good detailing job then don't feel bad. At least it got waxed once.

For more information, Google "Perma Plate Protection Package". You will see that any entry that is not selling Perma Plate informs people that it is not worth the money (as is the case with all "lifetime-type" Paint Protection Packages).

I wish your daughter luck with her new Fusion.

bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
gosman
Moped Rider

Yeh it was $499. On the positive side, if we take the time to do it, the dealer will allow us to bring the car in for a reapplication once a year. This is same as a detail. So it will pay for itself if we do it and they honor it. I also had the same or similar protection package on my Camry 3 years ago. With a simple reapplication from a kit they gave me, the car is still beading up rain and looking good. So there is some kind of special chemistry involved here that doesn't require all the ellaborate painstaking waxing other fourm members are doing.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=gosman link=topic=168851.msg3576570#msg3576570 date=1269057557]
Yeh it was $499. On the positive side, if we take the time to do it, the dealer will allow us to bring the car in for a reapplication once a year. This is same as a detail. So it will pay for itself if we do it and they honor it. I also had the same or similar protection package on my Camry 3 years ago. With a simple reapplication from a kit they gave me, the car is still beading up rain and looking good. So there is some kind of special chemistry involved here that doesn't require all the ellaborate painstaking waxing other fourm members are doing.
[/quote]

Hi gosman. I want to say upfront that I am not trying to make you feel bad about your purchase. As you said, if you bring it back once a year for a reapplication, it will be like a once a year detail and that helps make up some of the cost. But there is nothing "special" about what they are applying, that is why they need to reapply it at least once year (just like a wax, because it is a "wax", whether polymer or natural).

Just to explain: Believe it when we tell you that there is no "special chemistry". There is no such thing as a "special chemistry" (and this can be easily researched, simply Google it as I mentioned earlier). Or go to any major car care product website, such as Meguiar's www.meguiars.com, Mother's www.mothers.com, Autopia www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html etc..

And so you understand: When you use the "reapplication kit" each year on your Toyota, all you are really doing is "re-waxing" the car. Simple as that. You would get the same results if you had purchased a $10-$20 bottle of Meguiar's Gold Class Wax, Mother's, or any other major brand and waxed once a year. There is no super secret formula out there (my words, not yours) that "Perma-Plate" has access to.

And the process of waxing is only as "elaborate" and "painstaking" as a person makes it. It can be a very simple "wash and wax process" or it can be an elaborate "wash, clay, polish, wax, second coat of wax" etc etc. If a person knows what they are doing, they can wash and wax a car by hand (without using a power polisher) in as little as an hour (I do it regularly) and get the same results as the $499 Dealership product. Again, with a $10-$20 bottle of a good quality polymer or natural automotive wax.

And waxing only needs to be done as often as a person feels to keep their car looking as good as they want it to. Once a week, once a month, once every two months, once every six months, once a year etc.. We get out of it what we put into it. The car will simply look better if done more often. You will find that the car-care habits of the members here run the gamut of all I just mentioned and more.

In fact, the paint finish on most modern cars is so good, that even an un-waxed car will still look good to some people after 5 years (not to me, but to some people). The hard truth is that very few modern cars will have paint problems within 5 years anyway, even with no wax or "paint protectant". So the Warranties offered by these companies are merely a formality, since it will not be needed even without the treatment.

In the future, you can achieve the same results for much less money yourself. But if you feel it is worth it for you to not have to "do it yourself", that is certainly your prerogative. It is your choice and I respect your right to do as you like.

However, the bottom line is you already paid for it, so make the best of it and take advantage of the once a year re-application/detail.

Good luck with the car.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
Big Jim
Le Mans: GT Class

I completely agree that there is no miracle wax or paint sealant. Nothing last that long. Even the claim of lasting a year is very questionable.

The product used does seem to be better than the average car car wax though, not matter what the brand. The companies that market the stuff seem to keep it in the auto dealer area, giving the dealer an excuse to add some gross profit to the sale.

I have found one source for consumers if anyone would care to install it themselves, for much less than dealer pricing. The first link is paint sealant by itself and would be the best choice for a new car. The second link includes a mild cleaner and might be preferred for application after the first year.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...als&page=1

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...als&page=1

Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
TheUkrainian
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to TheUkrainian Send a message via MSN to TheUkrainian

I've seen some auto part stores carry sealant, but I've never bought it. I've read about it, but it seems that the shine isn't as nice as it is with a wax. The person I bought my car from (salesman) knew that I liked keeping my car clean (he saw that my 97 F-150 was clean and shiny when I was looking at Fusions) and told me that I'd be better off not getting it. Washing and waxing my car doesn't really take that long, about an hour or so on average. When I "polish" it and go for a full cleaning, it takes about 4 or 5 hours, but that's me cleaning and waxing my wheels, rain-x'ing my windows, and putting on 2 layers of wax.

The $500 sounds close to what my salesman said their package was, but I think it was also combined with an interior protection plan as well.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
nuowner
Grand Am Series

Speaking of wax...

I dunno what the dealers use for 'make ready'... but it beaded up the morning dew pretty good. I washed with Meguiars Gold Classic and there was ZERO beading afterward. I was going to wax anyway, but I was surprised that it was 'necessary' after one washing.
nuowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
mkzman
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to mkzman Send a message via Yahoo to mkzman

[quote author=Nuowner link=topic=168851.msg3576763#msg3576763 date=1269083748]
Speaking of wax...

I dunno what the dealers use for 'make ready'... but it beaded up the morning dew pretty good. I washed with Meguiars Gold Classic and there was ZERO beading afterward. I was going to wax anyway, but I was surprised that it was 'necessary' after one washing.
[/quote]

Dealers most likely use a glaze which adds gloss and slickness but has almost no durability.

If you have a new car and it has sat on a lot for a while considering claying, using a paint cleaner like Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner to get off below surface oxidation the clay does not get, and then applying your favorite wax or sealant.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
gosman
Moped Rider

Yes the protection package (Perma-Plate) did include the interior too. And by the way, they will replace the leather or carpet if something stains it and you can not get it out!! Of course, you have to go to the trouble of claiming it, which I checked out on line. Pretty easy to do. Also if any scratches are not able to get out of the exterior paint, they will send someone to your place to fix it! Including repainting! So it is really an insurance package more than anything. But the warranty does say to stay away from brush type car washes! So we will be forced to hand wash.

By the way, those of you in the mid-cities area of Dallas/Ft.Worth, do you have any good recommendations of good brushless car washes? I may start another Thread on this.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
UnderEstimated

Send a message via ICQ to UnderEstimated Send a message via AIM to UnderEstimated Send a message via MSN to UnderEstimated

Hopefully your paint sealant program works out well for you. I've been in the dealership when a guy was complaining about a few paint defects on his newly sealed F150 and the responses he was getting weren't quite what he wanted to hear. But either way, you already made the investment and if you do have any problems make sure you bring it to their attention right away.

And this goes for anyone; never run your car through a brush-based car wash! Those will swirl your paint in no time; regardless of your wax or sealant. And even for the no-touch car washes, their detergents are typically very strong (to remove dirt and bugs without needing the brushes) and they can also eat through your wax.

Last thing... just a FYI: Water beading on your paint is not a good representation of wax protection.
UnderEstimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care