2010+ ecoboost owners beware - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
hgffrank
Moped Rider

Default 2010+ ecoboost owners beware

I am a Ford master tech and we were sent communications from Ford that they are preparing to void warranties or place warranty restrictions on ANY ecoboost equipped vehicles(Fusion/Milan)that have been altered for performance reasons. If you alter these vehicles your treading on dangerous ground, be smart and wait until the warranty is run out or understand that your likely to lose your coverage. Here is the exact letter sent to ALL Ford dealers:

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealerships
Subject: Aftermarket Modifications Warranty Cancellation

BACKGROUND
Aftermarket companies (referred to as "tuners&quot attempt to increase an engine's torque and power output beyond the design limits which may cause powertrain failures. This is often accomplished by modifying the engine calibration (referred to as "chipping&quot but may also include modifications or adjustments to other components. Per the Warranty Guide that is provided to the customer and the Warranty & Policy Manual, failures resulting from modifications are not warranted by Ford Motor Company.

All powertrains are subject to warranty cancellation if a modification causes a failure. For the 3.5L EcoBoost technical service bulletin TSB 10-2-6 was published to enable your technicians to determine:

If a powertrain failure resulted from an unauthorized modification
If the engine, transmission, or entire powertrain warranty should be cancelled
Per the inspection process included in this TSB a Ford Motor Company inspector may assist with this analysis. When the inspection process clearly indicates that a failure was caused by an unauthorized modification/alteration the repair should not be completed under Warranty and, using the following process, the vehicle's remaining Engine, Transmission, or Powertrain warranty should be cancelled.

WARRANTY CANCELLATION PROCESS
To initiate a warranty cancellation on an affected vehicle, submit a warranty cancellation request form through FMCDealer.com. This on-line form can be accessed as follows:

FMCDealer.com
Select Parts & Service tab
Select Warranty Administration & Parts Return
Select Warranty Cancellation / Reinstatement Request Form
Complete and submit this form on-line.

Once the warranty is cancelled an OASIS message will advise all dealerships that the vehicle is no longer eligible for warranty coverage.

hgffrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
NYMILAN7
Short Track Racer

Default Re: 2010+ ecoboost owners beware

[quote author=hgffrank link=topic=167126.msg3543883#msg3543883 date=1265980207]
I am a Ford master tech and we were sent communications from Ford that they are preparing to void warranties or place warranty restrictions on ANY ecoboost equipped vehicles(Fusion/Milan)that have been altered for performance reasons. If you alter these vehicles your treading on dangerous ground, be smart and wait until the warranty is run out or understand that your likely to lose your coverage. Here is the exact letter sent to ALL Ford dealers:

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealerships
Subject: Aftermarket Modifications Warranty Cancellation

BACKGROUND
Aftermarket companies (referred to as "tuners&quot attempt to increase an engine's torque and power output beyond the design limits which may cause powertrain failures. This is often accomplished by modifying the engine calibration (referred to as "chipping&quot but may also include modifications or adjustments to other components. Per the Warranty Guide that is provided to the customer and the Warranty & Policy Manual, failures resulting from modifications are not warranted by Ford Motor Company.

All powertrains are subject to warranty cancellation if a modification causes a failure. For the 3.5L EcoBoost technical service bulletin TSB 10-2-6 was published to enable your technicians to determine:

If a powertrain failure resulted from an unauthorized modification
If the engine, transmission, or entire powertrain warranty should be cancelled
Per the inspection process included in this TSB a Ford Motor Company inspector may assist with this analysis. When the inspection process clearly indicates that a failure was caused by an unauthorized modification/alteration the repair should not be completed under Warranty and, using the following process, the vehicle's remaining Engine, Transmission, or Powertrain warranty should be cancelled.

WARRANTY CANCELLATION PROCESS
To initiate a warranty cancellation on an affected vehicle, submit a warranty cancellation request form through FMCDealer.com. This on-line form can be accessed as follows:

FMCDealer.com
Select Parts & Service tab
Select Warranty Administration & Parts Return
Select Warranty Cancellation / Reinstatement Request Form
Complete and submit this form on-line.

Once the warranty is cancelled an OASIS message will advise all dealerships that the vehicle is no longer eligible for warranty coverage.
[/quote]

Do you know how many (approx) warranties are canceled as a result of modifications?
NYMILAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
hgffrank
Moped Rider

no I dont, sorry but I think its still a bit early yet to get a take on the numbers. These engines have only been out for a year or so. Usually takes a year or two before modified vehicles start turning up, however the attitude that Ford is taking leads me to believe they are already seeing cars coming in with mods, and are taking action agaist warranties. I would imagine if someone really wanted to know they could file a FOIA request with Ford for the information and they would have to disclose it. Interesting thing is; the tsb they refer us tech to in order to aid in determination actually lays out the groundwork for someone who would want to mod these engines.

Makes me want to get a Fusion with ecoboost just to dabble with since I'm a tech and could cover up pretty much anything I want. I would guess that with proper mods and tricks these engines could easily hit the 450hp mark with an absolutely flat torque curve
Old 02-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
dero
Le Mans: GT Class

We don't have ecoboost engines...

And hasn't this always been the case? Most people just know to return their tune to stock before going to the dealer.
dero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
speedfreak87
Grand Am Series

Yeah no ecoboost in the fusion.. and if there is, I'm bringing my car back and getting one with it.. however, changing the tune then changing it back, or just waiting for the warranty is out.. Manufacturers have always voided warranties for mods..
Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
hgffrank
Moped Rider

I'm thinking it will be in fusion/milan, so far Taurus/flex/MK that I know of
Old 02-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
biggee72
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to biggee72

It'll be in the fusion SUPPOSEDLY by 2013 or so. But yeah, isn't this always the case? If Ford is making a bigger deal out of it than other engines than that just tells me that they are at the HP limits as it is for the whole drivetrain which isn't a good thing.
biggee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
albeys06
Le Mans: GT Class

I agree with all of the above.

When i seen the beware i thought the tranny's was falling out of a 2.5 again or or the 3.5 was going to self destruct. ( all was missleading)

Can you please tell use some good things that is going on with ford please.
No disrespect just my humer.
albeys06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
xcr440sp
Go-Kart Driver

[quote author=speedfreak87 link=topic=167126.msg3544163#msg3544163 date=1265994416]
Yeah no ecoboost in the fusion.. and if there is, I'm bringing my car back and getting one with it.. however, changing the tune then changing it back, or just waiting for the warranty is out.. Manufacturers have always voided warranties for mods..
[/quote]

Yes, however, on most vehicles, Ford isn't very serious on policing the mods. If you chip your 3.5L Fusion and remove it before service, I'd be very supprised if anyone ever even tried to catch it. Because your chip isn't pushing the envelope much. However, with a Power Stroke or an EcoBoost, a chip can add BIG power because you can turn up the boost and increase fuel. There's already a video of a SHO on youtube run the 1/4 in the 12's with only a tune. However, I have a feeling the driveline may have issues with this extra power. Also on the Diesels we've seen headgasket (and headbolt) failures due to the extra pressure caused by chips. Thats the reason I expect Ford will be policeing mods heavily on the turbo engines.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
hgffrank
Moped Rider

Ford is going to begin policing more, and yes there are good things going on with Ford. We have the 2011 6.7L Diesel coming out that is a massive improvement, its a monster not to mention its supposedly going to get 20+ mpg which is better than many v8 gas engines, imagine turning your valve cover into an intake manifold, dumping your exhaust into the valley directly into a single turbine which spins twin impellers...these things alone tell you that Ford is attacking the market with revolutionary design changes, not to mention they have taken the most common parts that fail and slapped then right on top for easy service.

Forgive me for thinking of the ecoboost in Fusion/milans already, I work on Diesel trucks/vans so I dont experience the car side very much other than the occasional new car prep which is always fun, those new Tuarus SHO's are a blast, although I cant stand the rediculously designed paddle shifters that just dont function in a natural manner, you would expect the left to shift down and right to shift up but they made both paddles shift both ways to try and please most people, without being used to the setup I couldnt paddle shift in manual very well, not to mention I think the times are better leaving it in manual therefore the only use of paddles would be engine braking on hills and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford General Discussion > Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln Zephyr & MKZ