Airbag light question - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
achieve
Go-Kart Driver

Default Airbag light question

I don't know where this fits exactly, but its in regards to the airbag light. Lately whenever I start my car the airbag light will remain lit on the speedometer, but it does not occur everytime. I'm assuming that the light is to alert me of a malfunctioning or disconnected airbag, but I have never fooled with the airbags or disconnected anything myself. The car is an 09 S manual that has less than eight k on it. I have only been in one bad wreck that caused the whole front and rear bumper covers, absorbers and reinforcement on the frame to be replaced from being hit from behind. I'm unaware if this plays any impact on the situation, but tossing it in there just incase. Is it something that should be looked into or something common?
achieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
hillbilly
Short Track Racer

Default Re: Airbag light question

Yes - get that checked ASAP. Your car is still under warrany (I assume). You can not chance a malfunctioning airbag. Durn thing might not go off when needed !!!!!!!
hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Nick King
Short Track Racer

Mine does the same thing from time to time. It only started after I rear-ended a truck. I noticed the light and took it in but they said nothing was wrong. It went away for a year or so then just came back recently. Took it back and they said nothing is wrong with it. So, not really sure what the deal is.
Nick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Cobra Jet
Grand Am Series

If the airbag light is illuminated, there should be a stored fault code - even if it was only illuminated once, the code should have been stored.

Most of the time, an airbag fault illumination can be for (but not limited to):

1) bad steering wheel clockspring
2) failing, failed or damaged front crash sensors (usually mounted to or near the front radiator support)
3) crash sensor connectors that have been poorly connected (ie: loose) or connectors in which the wiring has become damaged
4) disconnected airbag(s)
5) missing or disconnected airbag module (usually located under the dash, sometimes on driver side or behind center console)

In the event of a frontal collision, depending on speed and where the impact occured, normally the airbag crash sensors will be damaged (or destroyed). These should always be checked and/or replaced by the body shop performing the repair work on that vehicle.

To my knowledge, with most airbag equipped vehicles, there are no rear crash sensors to trip any frontal or side airbags.

Depending on how long ago the repairs were done to the vehicle and if possible, I would take it back to the repair facility or body shop and tell them about the problem. I would do that before going back to a Dealer if it's under warranty (being so new), only because the shop that initially fixed it should check the vehicle over.

1994 Cobra coupe #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe, 2011 Tucson GLS

Drive like water flows, follow the path of least resistance.
Cobra Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
achieve
Go-Kart Driver

The shop I got it fixed at was a dealership so either way I hope to find an answer. Thanks for the insight.
achieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=achieve link=topic=166021.msg3519040#msg3519040 date=1264708162]
I don't know where this fits exactly, but its in regards to the airbag light. Lately whenever I start my car the airbag light will remain lit on the speedometer, but it does not occur everytime. I'm assuming that the light is to alert me of a malfunctioning or disconnected airbag, but I have never fooled with the airbags or disconnected anything myself. The car is an 09 S manual that has less than eight k on it. I have only been in one bad wreck that caused the whole front and rear bumper covers, absorbers and reinforcement on the frame to be replaced from being hit from behind. I'm unaware if this plays any impact on the situation, but tossing it in there just incase. Is it something that should be looked into or something common?
[/quote]

Hi achieve. Another possibility to look into is the battery. If the battery is weak or failing in todays cars, it can lead to airbag warning lights and other electrical anomalies.

Keep us updated.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
fastjonny
Moped Rider

i also get the airbag light once in a while.. i have never had an accident or even bumped anything. i just shut the car off and turn it back on and no light. going to get it checked out when i get the recall fixed on it. good luck getting yours taken care of.
fastjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
06Ffusion
Le Mans: GT Class

When my battery was starting to die, I was getting the airbag light once in a while. Went out one morning to my car and battery was dead, jump started the car and the Airbag light stayed illuminated. Since I've replaced the battery the light hasn't stayed on.

Take your car to an auto parts store and have them test the battery. Most places will do a free load test on the battery and tell you if it needs replacing.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
Mav2u
Grand Am Series

I will second the airbag light coming on with my 06 fusion just before the battery finally died.

It did it for a couple of months. Sometimes it came on sometimes it didn't. I could turn off the ingnition and restart the car and the light would go away.

A week before I was going to take it in the battery died. I replaced the battery and it has been 2 months now and not a single airbag light since.

I don't know why it is but it happened and a new battery seemed to fix the error.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
opie23
Grand Am Series

My light has just recently come on and im out of warranty. anyone know what it costs to get fixed? or if its a part i can take car of my self. my brother has access to a scanner, will that tell me whats wrong wether its any of the following that Cobra Jet had mentioned:
1) bad steering wheel clockspring
2) failing, failed or damaged front crash sensors (usually mounted to or near the front radiator support)
3) crash sensor connectors that have been poorly connected (ie: loose) or connectors in which the wiring has become damaged
4) disconnected airbag(s)
5) missing or disconnected airbag module (usually located under the dash, sometimes on driver side or behind center console)

Custom steeda cold air intake| Steeda throttle body spacer| 2 Magnaflow 14850 mufflers| 8000k HID| 35% Tint all the way around| Pioneer AVIC-D3 Headunit| 1 12'' Alpine Type-X sub in a custom fiberglass box| Alpine MRP-M850 mono amps (800 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)| Alpine Type-S interior speakers w/ tweeters| Apline MRP-F240 4-ch (40 watts X 4)|Interior LED mod Blue| Custom Milan guage cluster|
opie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Interior Modifications