Taboo - has anyone taken their vehicle through a carwash w/ the roof antenna on? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Cobra Jet
Grand Am Series

Default Taboo - has anyone taken their vehicle through a carwash w/ the roof antenna on?

I say "taboo" only because I normally hand wash all of my vehicles, however, w/ the low temps currently hovering over NJ for the last 2 months, it makes it nearly impossible to hand wash a car when it's below 30*... I have done it in the past, only to have the water freeze on the vehicle before I could dry it (and the entire car looks like a clear candy coated lolipop).

I need to take it through a car wash to get all of the road salt/dirt off of it from the last snowstorm... and also need the chassis/floorpans cleaned (most automated washes shoot the underside of the vehicle for cleaning purposes). I have never had a vehicle w/ a rooftop antenna, so I was wondering if anyone else has taken their Fusion/Milan/MKZ through such an automated car wash w/ the antenna still attached? Was there or is there any issues in doing so?

1994 Cobra coupe #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe, 2011 Tucson GLS

Drive like water flows, follow the path of least resistance.
Cobra Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
20louie06
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to 20louie06
Default Re: Taboo - has anyone taken their vehicle through a carwash w/ the roof antenna

I rarely go in those things. When I used to have the whip antenna I would always take it off. Takes like 5 seconds to do. I'm not sure how much pressure the rollers put on your car but why take the chance.

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough.
My Mod Thread
20louie06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Rodeo
Grand Am Series

Default Re: Taboo - has anyone taken their vehicle through a carwash w/ the roof antenna on?

Doesn't the antenna "unscrew" on the 10 Fusions? I would think it would..
Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
bigchips
Go-Kart Driver

Send a message via MSN to bigchips
Default Re: Taboo - has anyone taken their vehicle through a carwash w/ the roof antenna

take it to a coin wash station and just spray it down
bigchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
biggee72
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to biggee72
Default Re: Taboo - has anyone taken their vehicle through a carwash w/ the roof antenna on?

It unscrews but I've never had a problem w/ it. Don't worry about it.
biggee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
The Only MTS
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to The Only MTS

Weekly during the "salt the roads" months. Never an issue.
The Only MTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Cobra Jet link=topic=165026.msg3498795#msg3498795 date=1263571530]
I say "taboo" only because I normally hand wash all of my vehicles, however, w/ the low temps currently hovering over NJ for the last 2 months, it makes it nearly impossible to hand wash a car when it's below 30*... I have done it in the past, only to have the water freeze on the vehicle before I could dry it (and the entire car looks like a clear candy coated lolipop).

I need to take it through a car wash to get all of the road salt/dirt off of it from the last snowstorm... and also need the chassis/floorpans cleaned (most automated washes shoot the underside of the vehicle for cleaning purposes). I have never had a vehicle w/ a rooftop antenna, so I was wondering if anyone else has taken their Fusion/Milan/MKZ through such an automated car wash w/ the antenna still attached? Was there or is there any issues in doing so?
[/quote]

Hi CJ. As others have already mentioned, the antennae unscrews. The attendant run car washes in my area of NJ will always remove antennae (when they are removable) before allowing a car through.

My opinion? I would recommend removing it to avoid damage. Why take the chance when it takes 10 seconds to unscrew it?

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
yeloxr7
Grand Am Series

Only problem I've ever had with the roof-mounted antenna is that some jacka$$ stole it a month or so after I bought the car.

Some car washes have removed it, some have not. No problem either way. So far.

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 351W

My other 1200 cars are 1/25 scale.......
yeloxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
wytstang2
Go-Kart Driver

[quote author=bigchips link=topic=165026.msg3499031#msg3499031 date=1263581992]
take it to a coin wash station and just spray it down
[/quote]
This is your best bet or even a touch-less car wash. Having those felt (or whatever they are) flaps just slap dirt and drag it across the paint will ruin a clear coat fast.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
jasonl
Go-Kart Driver

Automatic carwashes......shudder. I like my paint too much to take my car there. I understand that cold temps make it difficult to wash your car outside in the winter though.

Look into Optimum No-Rinse wash and shine. You can wash your car using only a bucket of water, a sponge, and towels to dry it. I've been using it for several months now because I don't have access to a hose at my apartment. If it's too cold outside, you can wash your car in your garage if you have one. If not, as long as it's not super cold out, you should be able to wash one or two panels at a time and dry them off before the water freezes.
jasonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care