Windshield washer sprayers freezing? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
piffusion
Short Track Racer

Default Windshield washer sprayers freezing?

Ok guys my washer sprayers are useless because they are frozen, they will not spray. Anybody else have this problem? any quick fixes. I want to check to see if theres something I can do before I have the dealer replace the sprayers. My buddy's work truck is also a Ford and he has the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
The Only MTS
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to The Only MTS
Default Re: Windshield washer sprayers freezing?

You need to get all of the summer fluid out of the system.... and replace with winter -40C stuff. Go to a heated garage, like a mall or apartment building underground and leave the car for an hour or so until thoroughly warmed above freezing and the just use the washer until empty and put the new winter wash in.
The Only MTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
biggee72
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to biggee72

It doesn't get quite as cold here but I also use the prestone deicer spray and I even use a pre treater spray..I think prestone makes it which keeps ice from forming. And I siphoned out all the blue washer fluid and put in the purple prestone.
biggee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=piffusion link=topic=162983.msg3458186#msg3458186 date=1260903317]
Ok guys my washer sprayers are useless because they are frozen, they will not spray. Anybody else have this problem? any quick fixes. I want to check to see if theres something I can do before I have the dealer replace the sprayers. My buddy's work truck is also a Ford and he has the same problem.
[/quote]

EDIT - The Only MTS and biggee responded while I was typing my reply. Slow fingers here. As you can see, we all give the same basic advice.

Hi piffusion. For what it is worth, these are my recommendations: If the problem really is frozen sprayers/lines, there is no sense in having the Dealer replace them. The next ones will freeze again once you use them.

They will thaw out on their own, once you drive far enough for the under-hood heat to have enough time to melt the ice.

One they melt, I would advise using a higher quality windshield washer fluid. Specifically one that has anti-freeze additives.

Again, unless there is some other underlying problem besides frozen sprayers/lines, I would not waste time having them replaced. You will leave your car at the Dealer for a day, only to have the problem reoccur when it gets cold again. Empty the washer reservoir of the old low quality washer fluid and replace it with a better quality anti-freeze washer fluid.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
The Only MTS
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to The Only MTS

Up here you can even get a washer fluid inline heater that comes on when the pump is on and heats the liquid to assist in clearing the ice and snow from the wind shield. Canadian Tire I think carries them...
The Only MTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
BowDown
Le Mans: GT Class

How about this?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/p...2&TID=0901
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
dero
Le Mans: GT Class

I stumbled across that too. That would be a good thing for me. I hate scraping my windshield so I usually just run my washer fluid for a while.
dero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care