Winter Driving.... - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
The Only MTS
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to The Only MTS
Default Winter Driving....

A bit of a disappointment with the Fusion, when in deep snow (ie need to spin the wheels to get moving) the easiest way I have found is to actually disengage the TCS. NOW with previous cars the transmission would still shift to the next gear, I find this one stays in first and over revs to the point of cut off. Not sure if this is a commonality among Fusions or mine is just not right?

That being said, the Fusion is a great highway car even through the worst of snow storms. Last week driving through Maine and Mass. there was a blinding snow storm that had a lot of people off the roads. Not the Fusion, and I haven't even put my snow tires on yet.
The Only MTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
dero
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: Winter Driving....

Spinning your tires to get traction is not the way to go. static friction(no wheels spinning) is greater than kinetic friction (wheels spinning) so you want to keep wheel spin to a minimum to get the best grip. The spinning of your tires will also make the surface more slippery.

My parking lot has been full since our snow storm a week ago so it is still full of snow. Cars get stuck constantly. I have noticed my fusion gets stuck kind of easily. However, I do love the car in the snow once it gets moving. I don't have traction control or antilock brakes.
dero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
The Only MTS
F1 Driver

I have done a lot of winter driving and sometimes you just need to get them spinning to get moving. My Mazda Millenia was bad for getting stuck but I could pull out of almost anything if I got the slightest bit of movement and a whole lot of wheel spin.... or just some good old empty parking lot sliding
Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
albeys06
Le Mans: GT Class

Or maybe just get some half decente tires and the problem will go away. I have this issue to, it's not the cars fault the Michelins suck. My 06 se fusion didn't have traction control and i had good tires and it made a huge differance.
albeys06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
The Only MTS
F1 Driver

The snows are going on, and I will see. But still unsure why the car will not shift with wheel spin at least into 2nd?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
svtenthusiast
Go-Kart Driver

[quote author=The Only MTS link=topic=162982.msg3459107#msg3459107 date=1260970960]
The snows are going on, and I will see. But still unsure why the car will not shift with wheel spin at least into 2nd?
[/quote]

Why would you need to spin your tires at more than 20MPH? The transmission is probably doing that to protect itself since there is hardly any load on it when free spinning on snow. Keeps from people blowing their tranny then coming into Ford saying the transmission went out and they don't know why, but their Ford is a piece of junk.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
The Only MTS
F1 Driver

I have never blown a transmission and have done lot's of winter "fun" driving, but then again have also been so severely stuck in snow that spinning the wheels is the only way to get out, even with snow tires, short of a tow truck.... and they get stuck too. But then again some people never see enough snow to have these issues.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
svtenthusiast
Go-Kart Driver

That blown tranny comment wasn't necessarly pointed toward you, but maybe that's why it is operating that way. Trust me, we get plenty of lake effect snow here, but if I can't get it out with tires spinning at 20MPH, it's not coming out.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
The Only MTS
F1 Driver

Yeah we have the same horrible snow.... been high sided a few times and still got out with previous cars.... but the snows are going on as a type this. So now there will be no snow for another month or so. Murphy's Law
Old 12-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Fil10SportAWD
Grand Am Series

[quote author=svtenthusiast link=topic=162982.msg3459209#msg3459209 date=1260976447]
That blown tranny comment wasn't necessarly pointed toward you, but maybe that's why it is operating that way. Trust me, we get plenty of lake effect snow here, but if I can't get it out with tires spinning at 20MPH, it's not coming out.
[/quote]

Hi Svtenthusiast
I don't think your AWD Sport will be stuck especially if you mount winter tires. I'm still using my winter tires that came from my 2006 FF FWD sel v6 and there is a big difference in traction between FWD and AWD Fusions.

3 years ago, and with new winter tires, I too got stuck in the 1st snowstorm with the FWD Fusion. But on the highway, it handled really well.

cheers

Fil
My Cardomain site- 2010 Fusion AWD
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3369485/2010-ford-fusion
Fil10SportAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford General Discussion > Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln Zephyr & MKZ