2010 Fusion Sport AWD Rotational sound btwn 38-42mph - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
john a
Bicycle Rider

Default 2010 Fusion Sport AWD Rotational sound btwn 38-42mph

Experience rotational sound that sounds like driving over grooved section of the highway. Except this occurs when driving at slower speeds and on smooth pavement.

I am scheduled to bring in for warranty service, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.
john a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Blu Hvn
Short Track Racer

Default Re: 2010 Fusion Sport AWD Rotational sound btwn 38-42mph

Oh yeah! There is an entire thread on this subject. No one seems to be able to find a cause or solution. Let us know if your dealer has any ideas.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
PAFusionSportGuy
Bicycle Rider

I'll keep looking for the threads on this one, but I experience it with my 2010 Fusion Sport AWD. It usually happens around 40mph, and from what I can tell, it's when it shifts into 5th gear during a "leisurely" acceleration. If I'm doing a hard acceleration, the shift to 5th gear is at a higher speed, and I don't hear this sound.

I'm wondering what it is...
PAFusionSportGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
PAFusionSportGuy
Bicycle Rider

Does anyone know where the "whole thread on this thing" is located? I just did some searching and couldn't find anything on it.
PAFusionSportGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
seawolf
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to seawolf

My wife's 2008 Edge AWD just had the same problem, which our dealership correctly diagnosed as a bad rear-wheel bearing...

Have them look at the rear wheel bearings for abnormal wear or lack of lubricant.
2010 Sangria Red Sport AWD, package 402a. MPT 93 Oct tune, customized. F35R Gen2 intake from Enstar Performance. 5000K HIDs. LED Taillights. Switchbacks front signals. Stripe kit in a box in the garage; lowering springs, and trans mount coming soon...
seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Meykelle
Moped Rider

VERY goof to know! I will have to look for that when the car I ordered arrives.
Meykelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
john a
Bicycle Rider

Update from Ford Dealership after Two visits to determine what is causing the Rotational sound between 38-42 mph - Ford Tech heard the "Drown" type sound on the right side of the vehicle. He eliminate the wheel bearings that was similar to the Ford Edge 2008 response saying that eliminated the similar problem. The sound was only heard under normal load and driving through this speed normal steady accelerating to 50 mph. Heavy acceleration or if you were going down hill and coasted you did not hear the "Drown" sound. Finally, after using several small micro phones to eliminate any road noises, the Ford Tech identified the Torque Converter was LOCKING UP between the 38 to 42 MPH. It was at 100% LOCK UP and should only be 40 to 50% LOCK UP in that speed range. I have an APPOINTMENT ON JAN 26TH AT FORD DEALERSHIP TO REPLACE THE TORQUE CONVERTER. I will give an update after the repair has been made.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
twiggy144
Moped Rider

Sounds like Ford is serious about deploying necessary tech resources to drill down to the root cause of your problem. I am impressed. Many other car manufacturers are arrogant, claiming their cars cant have defects, and wont listen to their customers and neither support them.
2012 Sorento EX AWD
twiggy144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #9
cod45
Moped Rider

Glad to hear you are being taken care of... if you look in this thread, I also had a problem with my torque converter... I had different issues but the same part. I was told that Ford's supplier for the plates within the converter had messed up and didn't find the issue until after install. I expect more posts about stuff like this. After a few days though, the dealer replaced my converter and re-flashed the computer and I was good to go! Good luck!
cod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
john a
Bicycle Rider

Ford Fusion AWD Sport Update from Ford Dealer: Torque Convert was replaced, but it did not eliminate the "Thread Noise" between 38 to 42 MPH. However, the dealer said the Torque Convert was engaging too soon and did not like the way it was operating. They kept the car for three more days and after disconnecting the wires to the Rear Controllers for the AWD the "Thread Noise' went away. I had to wait about a day for the Ford Tech Center to give the OK and Ford approved and ordered the entire Rear End 'one piece' from the Ford Supplier. It has taken just over a week for the part to be Dropped shipped on February 8th. Hope to have my car back by Wednesday or Thursday (Feb 11th) this coming week. The dealer was not sure if the part will arrive Monday or be Shipped from the Ford Supplier, so it may take until Thursday to get it back.

Ford did update my SYNC with two new software upgrades, as there were problems with some of the new Verizon cell phones not syncing up.

I'm really impressed that the Ford Dealer gave me another Ford to drive, as I did not want to drive my car without the controllers working, which would only give me front wheel drive. Keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain