Bumper Removal - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
seasonalskier

Send a message via AIM to seasonalskier Send a message via Yahoo to seasonalskier
Default Bumper Removal

Had a few people thank me the steps I wrote on how to remove the bumper but it was in the electrical section (HID install) so I figured I would re post this in the exterior mods in case others would like to know how to do it to replace headlamps/grill/etc.

PS: Sorry about how dirty the car was. It was cold out when I did this and didn't want to freeze the doors shut if I got it washed.

For people who are changing their grille: DO NOT JUST YANK OFF THE OLD GRILLE!!! IT IS SCREWED ON!!! YOU WILL RUIN THE GRILLE IF YOU YANK IT OFF!!!!!

This is not the only way to do this but I started by removing the 2 bolts (10mm) and 2 push fasteners on the top of the bumper.

Now move to the bottom of the car and remove the 10 bolts (7mm) running all the way around the front of the car.

After these are removed, in each side wall there are 3 Push fasteners using a screwdriver pry up the center part of the fastener and once it is all the way up (or if it comes out) then pull out the lower part of the fastener.

[img width=576 height=768]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k143/seasonalskier2006/CIMG1273.jpg[/img]

Now you will need to take out the airbox, to do this first unscrew the clamp holding the vacuum hose to the top of the airbox, then on the right side of the airbox there is a "horn" going into the airbox, using a flathead screwdriver, unclip the "horn" and then on the side of the airbox facing the driver there is a clip holding on a wire, pull that clip out, careful because you could and more than likely will damage the clip (I just broke mine off because there was no real purpose for it other than to keep things from moving a ton) now pull the airbox out.

It is held in by a plastic clip inside a rubber hole so a tug will make it come free. (will make more sense when you pull it out and see it, sorry for no pic, lost in uploading and I am too lazy to go take another )
(pic of the "horn&quot

Once the airbox is out, gently pull up on the horn and it should slide right out. After that there is a rubber shield that is right behind the lights, remove it. Its held on by a clip and a different type of push connector, simply pull the clip off and gently pry the push connector out of the the piece of rubber attached to the cars body.

Now you have access to both side markers and the bumper is almost off! All you have to do is remove both side markers. To do this push the two white clips together and with a little force it should pop out. LEAVE THE BULBS IN UNTIL AFTER THE CLIPS ARE POPPED OUT OF THE BUMPER the light will go flying if you don't and could break.

Now twist the light bulb out of the side marker and set the side markers aside. Be careful to move the bulb to a place where you wont hit it or crush it. I moved mine to the inside and pushed it as far towards the back of the car as I could so I wouldn't damage it.

Now that the side markers are off you will see two clips directly under where the side marker was, un-clip these with a flat head screwdriver then GENTLY pull on the side of the bumper till you can see the first of three more clips. Using a screwdriver with some tape on it so you don't damage the paint, un-clip the three clips. For the last one (closest to the headlight) you should note that it is a different kind of clip. Instead of lifting the black piece you will have to push this one down. Or as 09SilverSEv6 informed me you can also just yank a little on it and the tabs slide off quite easily. Using a screwdriver I broke one of the tabs but I just attributed that to me being way to eager to get it off and going to quick with too much force. Ultimately the choice is up to you.

Once you do this on both sides your bumper should just slide right off. But be aware of the fact that the fog lamps are mounted to the bumper so you have to unplug the fog lamps before you can completely remove the bumper, I put mine on the ground on a blanket before doing this to protect the paint, I highly recommend this!

Then to re-install the bumper just follow these steps in reverse. Just a tip you should probably trim the clips on the side markers if they were really tight coming off. They will go on much easier and will still stay on, and you wont risk breaking the slot that they fit into. Good luck!
seasonalskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
geist

Default Re: Bumper Removal

Nice work, I plan to use this guide very soon. This should def be stickied!!

Please see more at my Cardomain Page!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3087341
Witness the Evolution of a Fusion:[url=http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=152340.0]http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=152340.0
geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
09SilverSEv6
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to 09SilverSEv6

By the way...THANK YOU for the write up, it was very helpful. One suggestion to those attempting, dont use a screw driver to try to pry the sides of the cover from the bumper. I accidently split one of the little "slots". But no worries, it comes off real easy.
09SilverSEv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
seasonalskier

Send a message via AIM to seasonalskier Send a message via Yahoo to seasonalskier

I popped one too but I couldn't think of anything else that would pop em off. If you can think of something better and I will update the OP with the better tool.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
09SilverSEv6
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to 09SilverSEv6

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=149490.msg3287570#msg3287570 date=1250730363]
I popped one too but I couldn't think of anything else that would pop em off. If you can think of something better and I will update the OP with the better tool.
[/quote]

Actually, after I broke the one on the driver side, on the passenger side I just pulled firmly without yanking and they let go pretty easy.
09SilverSEv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
NefCanuck
Le Mans: Prototype Class

This brings up a related question.

Is it possible to remove the upper & lower grilles without pulling the front bumper clean off?

The reason I ask this is that I hope to received very shortly a new grille set and wanted to know what kind of labour charges I will be looking at for this job (and if the bumper has to come off I'm going to have to grab my ankles on the labour as I already have the 3d Carbon front lip on the car )

NefCanuck
Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
seasonalskier

No, to the best of my knowledge you would have to pull the whole bumper off, and with the 3DC Lip the directions are still the exact same you just have to be careful to not prop the bumper up by the 3DC lip. You will want to put it on the front grille before disconnecting the fog lamps (if equipped). Or you could just try to pry off the bumpers but I am almost positive that would break them and the mount locations.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
seasonalskier

[quote author=09SilverSEv6 link=topic=149490.msg3287741#msg3287741 date=1250734488]
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=149490.msg3287570#msg3287570 date=1250730363]
[/quote]

Actually, after I broke the one on the driver side, on the passenger side I just pulled firmly without yanking and they let go pretty easy.
[/quote]

OP updated with the new info.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
reddemon999
Go-Kart Driver

i just swaped my grill for a billet set and had to take off the bumper and also the grill kit on it to make it fit
reddemon999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
geist

great, helpful write up! this def needs a sticky, thank you!

Please see more at my Cardomain Page!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3087341
Witness the Evolution of a Fusion:[url=http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=152340.0]http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=152340.0
geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Exterior Modifications