How to: Reset TPMS Sensors - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
fatabbot
Super Moderator

Default How to: Reset TPMS Sensors

Thanks to Mapinpa for the info!

[quote author=mapinpa link=topic=143268.msg3119378#msg3119378 date=1242173434]
Detailed Instructions for resetting TPMS Sensors:

Part Number:

What's in the Box:

Before you start, make sure your tires have the proper amount of air.
To get the Sensors in the learning mode. Just follow this on/off key sequence.
1. Start with the key in off position and press and release brake pedal.
2. Turn the key to on position (not start) and after the first chime turn it to the off position.
3. Turn the key to on position (not start) and after the first chime turn it to the off position.
4. Turn the key to on position (not start) and press and release brake pedal and turn key to off position..
5. Turn the key to on position (not start) and after the first chime turn to off position.
6. Turn the key to on position (not start) and after the first chime turn to off position.
7. Turn the key to on position (not start) and leave in on position. Horn will chirp once and the message center will display the following message:

Take your sensor and hold it opposite the valve stem and point the sensor to the inside of the rim and press the button. In approx. 5 seconds the sensor resets, the horn will chirp and your the message center will notify you to train the next sensor.

Do the same to the RR and the LR wheels. After the LR is done the message center will display the following:

If the Training is not successful, the horn will chirp twice and you must repeat the training process.

That's it! Takes less than 2 minutes to do the entire process.
[/quote]
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
aggoodin
Grand Am Series

Default Re: How to: Reset TPMS Sensors

Hey I just "discovered" on the 2010 Hybrid that the wheel sensors are at the same spot on the rim as the valve stems instead of opposite the stem.

Same procedure, just put the programming tool on the sidewall next to the valve stem.

I just pumped the tires up to 44psi for mileage and I wanted the sensors reset to detect a loss from 44psi instead of the factory 35~psi.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
waldo
Le Mans: GT Class

[quote author=aggoodin link=topic=144972.msg3176302#msg3176302 date=1244920899]
I just pumped the tires up to 44psi for mileage and I wanted the sensors reset to detect a loss from 44psi instead of the factory 35~psi.
[/quote]

Just to clear this up for anyone else thinking about this, the pressure inside the tire when you set the sensors means nothing. The low cutoff that triggers the light is fixed in the computer memory, it's not a relative loss.

From the shop manual:

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all 4 road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency signals, to the SJB. TPMS functionality is integral to the SJB. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS function compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If it has been determined that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the SJB communicates this on the vehicle communication bus to the Instrument Cluster (IC). The IC then illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center (if equipped).
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
aggoodin
Grand Am Series

[quote author=Waldo link=topic=144972.msg3212901#msg3212901 date=1246908037]
[quote author=aggoodin link=topic=144972.msg3176302#msg3176302 date=1244920899]
[/quote]

Just to clear this up for anyone else thinking about this, the pressure inside the tire when you set the sensors means nothing. The low cutoff that triggers the light is fixed in the computer memory, it's not a relative loss.

From the shop manual:

The TPMS function compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If it has been determined that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the SJB communicates this on the vehicle communication bus to the Instrument Cluster (IC). The IC then illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center (if equipped).
[/quote]

I don't see that this says the lower limit is hard programmed in.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
waldo
Le Mans: GT Class

It also doesn't say anywhere in the instructions that the tire pressure needs to be set accuratly before the programming, ie it doesn't matter.

It's easy to prove, just drop one of your tires down to 30psi and wait for the light to come on. I'll bet you $1 it won't.

(PS, the tires are at about 40psi in the plant when the sensors are programmed the first time, yet Ford tells the dealers to drop the pressure to the door placard and does not tell them to re-program the sensors)
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
bartman1
Grand Am Series

Fatabbot - Apparently on the '10s the system has been "dumbed down". The tpms no longer has to know which wheel is low, and the display does not appear to say anything other than "Low Tire Pressure" and the idiot light on the dash illuminates.

I installed four different wheels/tires on my 2010 SEL and couldn't figure out why there was no warning. I am still researching this, but it appears the computer is happy if it sees four sensors and doesn't need location programming.

Has anyone else commented on this?
bartman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
bartman1
Grand Am Series

Wow - I spoke waaaay too soon. Not more than 20 miles after I changed out the wheels (the new wheels have tpms in them) the display lit up with a TPMS fault.

I'm off to the dealer to buy one of the sensors mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I'll progam the wheels tonight and post an update.

And I thought the 2010 didn't need all this ....... joke's on me!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
bartman1
Grand Am Series

Another update -

For 2010 Ford changed the tpms sensors from the banded type to the valve stem type. I am buying a set off ebay and will have them installed.

This may also be a problem - the Ford tpms / valve assemblies are apparently shorter than the aftermarket type. I may have to move the Ford sensors to different valve stems to work.

This is getting to be an expensive exercise, getting the tpms fault to go out. But I look at the stock SEL wheels and the SAP wheels, and the SAP win hands down. I'm glad I made the switch - too bad Ford didn't offer the SAP wheels at the beginning of the model run. I could have done all this for $400!

By the way, the stock wheels on the 2010 SEL are 44 mm offset.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Lansdale Fusion
Bicycle Rider

LOL I dont know why everyone is going to all this trouble with buying the sensor reset tool. I just drove past my local for dealer and saw one of the techs on his smoke break and said if he reset it I would buy him a pack of smokes. I switched from the stock 16" rims to the sport 18" rims. I am very glad I did. The car handles a ton better and looks better too.
Lansdale Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
mapinpa
Go-Kart Driver

LOL. Pretty soon a pack of smokes will cost more than a sensor!
No major mods yet
"I just love to drive this car!"
mapinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Wheels / Tires