Rubbing noise when turning right - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
cmillls45
Short Track Racer

Default Rubbing noise when turning right

I'm having a rubbing noise when I turn right coming from the passenger side. It happens intermittenly when I am close or at a complete stop and make a sharp right. It goes away after I straighten the wheels out and it hits 5-8 mph. I took it to the dealership but they couldn't find anything, and of course when they took it for 2 different test drives they couldnt hear the noise. Its an 08 with only 11k on it.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Silver Birch, leather, moon and toon, K&N air filter, weather tech floor mats, Ford Flex shift knob, clear side markers, shark fin, molded splash guards, chrome turn signals, color matched fog light bezels, debadged, resonator delete.
cmillls45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Default Re: Rubbing noise when turning right

[quote author=cmillls45 link=topic=140322.msg3024659#msg3024659 date=1238347685]
I'm having a rubbing noise when I turn right coming from the passenger side. It happens intermittenly when I am close or at a complete stop and make a sharp right. It goes away after I straighten the wheels out and it hits 5-8 mph. I took it to the dealership but they couldn't find anything, and of course when they took it for 2 different test drives they couldnt hear the noise. Its an 08 with only 11k on it.

Thanks in advance
Chris
[/quote]

Hi Chris. Have you checked the inside of the right side tire to see if there are any rub marks on it? Have you checked the wheel and suspension to see if there is anything stuck up in there (paper, plastic bag etc)? Of course, I assume the Service Tech would have checked for these things.

If you can not see any rub marks or debris stuck in the suspension area and still have the noise, bring it back for another service appointment.

This time, if you did not have a Tech ride along before, ask the Service Writer to have a Service Tech take a drive with you. You drive. Drive the car in a manner which causes the noise to occur. Be sure you get the Tech to say, "Yes, I hear it". In this way, you can not be told that "There is no noise", "We couldn't find anything", or "The customer concern could not be replicated".

Just as a strong recommendation to everyone: Whenever you have any sort of odd noise problem, always insist on a Tech ride-along so that you can demonstrate exactly what you are concerned about. Never just describe your concern to the Service Writer and then leave the car.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
mkzman
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to mkzman Send a message via Yahoo to mkzman

[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=140322.msg3024694#msg3024694 date=1238349149]

Just as a strong recommendation to everyone: Whenever you have any sort of odd noise problem, always insist on a Tech ride-along so that you can demonstrate exactly what you are concerned about. Never just describe your concern to the Service Writer and then leave the car.

Good luck.
[/quote]

I agree that verbally discussing some issues with the service rep is not always helpful to the service mechanic to troubleshoot. The service reps often translate it differently when writing down their version of your comments.

If you cannot drive with them, at least write as much as you can down to describe the condition on a separate paper (legible of course) and give it to them.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
bambinodeluca
Moped Rider

I'm not sure if you have figured this out, but I had the same problem on my '06. Brought it to a local shop and they replaced the wheel bearing. Try that.
bambinodeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Sardog
Moped Rider

+1 on checking the wheel bearing. Jack that side up and see if there is any slop in the wheel. I broke alot more that that during my run in with a cinder block, but aside from the obvious tire and wheel deformity, I didn't notice the slop in the wheel/hub until I jacked it up and took the weight off. However I heard the "rubbing sound" but had no signs of rubbing, turned out that was the sound of my exploded bearings not working. Have you had any hard bumps lately? Bad pothole, debris in road or curb check?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Lone Wolff
Moped Rider

My 2010 does a similar thing from the passenger side, but only when turning left. It will not do it consistently. It sounds just like it would if a tie rod was bad, but there is no slop in the wheel at all. And I only have 900 miles on it.

More of a clunking than rubbing sound. Same type of sound I would expect if I were going over potholes, but it makes that sound turning on smooth pavement. I've checked the strut mounts, and no looseness there either.
Lone Wolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care