Serpentine Belt Replacement 4cly auto - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
springer03
Go-Kart Driver

Default Serpentine Belt Replacement 4cly auto

Has any on replaced one yet? This would be on a 4cly Auto.
Any Idea of cost? Part # ? Looks like a pain in the **s to do. With 80,000 miles, I am thinking I should replace it.
Thanks
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
mkzman
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to mkzman Send a message via Yahoo to mkzman
Default Re: Serpentine Belt Replacement 4cly auto

[quote author=springer03 link=topic=136558.msg2943149#msg2943149 date=1234907615]
Has any on replaced one yet? This would be on a 4cly Auto.
Any Idea of cost? Part # ? Looks like a pain in the **s to do. With 80,000 miles, I am thinking I should replace it.
Thanks
[/quote]

Is the belt in bad condition? How often to they fail? I think dealers push this but I rarely hear issues about belts failing. Just curious.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
springer03
Go-Kart Driver

Mine is not cracked that I can see. But the top of the belt (non grooved) part. Does show some wear and I do hear a little chirp out of it once in awhile.
Dealer wants $150.00 labor and around $60.00 for the belt. I planned on changing it out myself.
But there is no way my hand are going to be able to get in that area. It's a tight fit. Dealer said they take the tire and inner fender welll off to do it. If thats true than that explains the labor cost.
I may just have to bite it on this one and have the dealer do it. I was hoping some one here would have done this and could give me some advice. Iam no rookie when it comes to working on these things but this looks like it could be one heck of a job. I am holding out until spring and warm weather so I can get the car up in the air I can get under give it one more good look. I just can't be that hard to do.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
ns4683
Go-Kart Driver

I've changed my belt already at about 60k miles. I'm looking to change it again as I used a Dayco belt and I'm hearing sqeaking again. I'll most likely go with the Goodyear Gatorback belt. It's not that hard to change it either. You just take the front right tire off and remove the plastic shield and it's right there. It took me about 2 hours to change it.

If you need more info, I can send you the section from the service manual.
ns4683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
springer03
Go-Kart Driver

Thanks for the information. What you said and what the dealer said are the same.
So I will give it go here in a couple weeks. Since the factory belt seems to have held up for 80,000 plus miles I will replace with another factory belt. Now I am wondering about replacing the idle pulley and the tensioner pulley. You know since I have it apart. What do you think?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=springer03 link=topic=136558.msg3027725#msg3027725 date=1238450624]
Thanks for the information. What you said and what the dealer said are the same.
So I will give it go here in a couple weeks. Since the factory belt seems to have held up for 80,000 plus miles I will replace with another factory belt. Now I am wondering about replacing the idle pulley and the tensioner pulley. You know since I have it apart. What do you think?
[/quote]

Hi springer. No need to replace those pulleys. A waste of time and money.

Kind of like pulling your teeth just because you have your mouth open to brush them. :shock:

Those pulleys are essentially good for the life of the vehicle.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
20louie06
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to 20louie06

[quote author=NS4683 link=topic=136558.msg3026551#msg3026551 date=1238426497]
I've changed my belt already at about 60k miles. I'm looking to change it again as I used a Dayco belt and I'm hearing sqeaking again. I'll most likely go with the Goodyear Gatorback belt. It's not that hard to change it either. You just take the front right tire off and remove the plastic shield and it's right there. It took me about 2 hours to change it.

[/quote]

Holy crap :shock: 2 hours to change a belt. When I had my Taurus it only took me like 5 minutes. Man these cars are getting less and less roomy in the engine bay.

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough.
My Mod Thread
20louie06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
ff09rt
Short Track Racer

dealers would really only push the belt if it was cracked but would usually change it around 100k, if not squeaking or cracked i wouldnt worry about it all. just not worth the money or the time till you need to do it
ff09rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
ns4683
Go-Kart Driver

[quote author=20louie06 link=topic=136558.msg3033025#msg3033025 date=1238635604]
[quote author=NS4683 link=topic=136558.msg3026551#msg3026551 date=1238426497]
I've changed my belt already at about 60k miles.  I'm looking to change it again as I used a Dayco belt and I'm hearing sqeaking again.  I'll most likely go with the Goodyear Gatorback belt.  It's not that hard to change it either.  You just take the front right tire off and remove the plastic shield and it's right there.  It took me about 2 hours to change it.

[/quote]
Holy crap :shock: 2 hours to change a belt. When I had my Taurus it only took me like 5 minutes. Man these cars are getting less and less roomy in the engine bay.
[/quote]

The second time around it should be less since I know how to do it now.  That time was the first time I ever changed the belt before, so I was extra careful and double and triple checked everything.  The hardest part was removing the plastic fasteners from the splash shield.

ns4683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
guessboy3
Short Track Racer

Mine was squeaking pretty badly around 60,000km... Took it to the dealer to have it replaced. If I'm not mistaken it was ~$35 for the belt and ~an hour labour... All in all I believe the total was ~$110.

Now only 5000 km later I'm seem to be starting to get another squeak... And I'm not too happy about it.
guessboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care