Weight rating on tires, 93v or 94v? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
quackdor
Moped Rider

Default Weight rating on tires, 93v or 94v?

Hey Guys, I have been trying to research this and I can't figure out how important the small weight rating difference between 93v and 94v is. I have an 06 SEL V6, the stock tires are 94v but when I search on different websites (tire rack, michelin, goodyear) they make no not on whether 93v or 94v are required. I'm not necessarity going to be buying the OE tires (Michelin MXM4) but the cost difference between the 93v and 94v can be as much as $100. From what I've gathered, the difference isn't that important, but I figured I'd get some opinions/advice from anyone who has already purchased new tires for their fusions.
quackdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Default Re: Weight rating on tires, 93v or 94v?

[quote author=quackdor link=topic=132720.msg2850155#msg2850155 date=1231444989]
Hey Guys, I have been trying to research this and I can't figure out how important the small weight rating difference between 93v and 94v is. I have an 06 SEL V6, the stock tires are 94v but when I search on different websites (tire rack, michelin, goodyear) they make no not on whether 93v or 94v are required. I'm not necessarity going to be buying the OE tires (Michelin MXM4) but the cost difference between the 93v and 94v can be as much as $100. From what I've gathered, the difference isn't that important, but I figured I'd get some opinions/advice from anyone who has already purchased new tires for their fusions.
[/quote]

Hi quackdor. First, are you sure that your Factory OEM tire is 94V? I only ask because The Tire Rack lists it as a 93V tire.

If you are sure it is a 94V, here is the information from the Michelin website concerning Pilot MXM4 load ratings:

94V - 1477lbs. (at 51 psi) 93V - 1433lbs. (at 44 psi)

Keep in mind those look to be maximum PSI ratings by Michelin for those particular tires. Maximum psi should never be used in a street tire.

Michelin lists the 93V as a tire usable on the Fusion V-6, so you could safely use a 93V rated tire. The only warning I would issue is you always take the slight chance of Warranty problems (with Ford) if you put lower a tire rated lower than the factory installed tires and have a tire related problem later. However, this would be a very small possibility and not a major concern (in my opinion).

However, if you regularly take long trips with 4 friends who are NFL lineman and a trunk full of luggage, I would stick with the 94V for the higher load rating! :lmao:

I am just curious though, what tire have you seen that has a $100 difference in price between a 93V and 94V load rating? Are you sure the tires you were comparing were otherwise equal in all respects excluding load rating (i.e. model, size, speed rating etc.)?

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
waldo
Le Mans: GT Class

The stock tire on a Fusion is 93V, I'm 100% confident of that. There is another VISUALLY similar Michelin MXM4 with a 94V rating, but it is quite a different tire underneath. Normally you would never want to drop a load rating from OEM, but with the Fusion you can remember that the V6 is available witha 16in tire with a 91 load rating. The SEL doesn't add that much weight, so the 93 is a bit overkill.

By the way bbf, the max load and max inflation pressure are not related. All P tires (that are not XL rated) are rated at 35psi. Theoretically they could take more load if you put more pressure, but the rating method does not take that into account.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Waldo link=topic=132720.msg2852324#msg2852324 date=1231521206]
The stock tire on a Fusion is 93V, I'm 100% confident of that. There is another VISUALLY similar Michelin MXM4 with a 94V rating, but it is quite a different tire underneath. Normally you would never want to drop a load rating from OEM, but with the Fusion you can remember that the V6 is available witha 16in tire with a 91 load rating. The SEL doesn't add that much weight, so the 93 is a bit overkill.

By the way bbf, the max load and max inflation pressure are not related. All P tires (that are not XL rated) are rated at 35psi. Theoretically they could take more load if you put more pressure, but the rating method does not take that into account.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp
[/quote]

Hi Waldo. Concerning load ratings: Yes, you know that, I know that, and the Tire Rack states that, but someone will need to straighten that fact out with Michelin. I copied and pasted those load ratings and max psi's directly off of the Michelin site, exactly as it was printed on the page (i.e. load rating at that exact psi). In other words, I did not cut and paste information together.

However, for one reason or another, Michelin publishes their maximum tire load rating, for those two tires, at those specific pressures (not 35 psi). If anyone has any questions as to why Michelin uses/publishes those specific pressures (51 and 44) instead of 35 psi, they will need to research the Michelin website further or contact Michelin. I'm just the messenger boy.

I only provided the information that Michelin has on their website to quackdor for the sake of comparison. I was certainly not going to edit Michelin's information to say anything other than what Michelin publishes. Not my job to guess what the load rating might be at 35 psi. If I guess wrong, someone else comes back and tells me my guess was wrong.

In fact, in my original reply, I was even going to add that no one should even approach the "maximum pressure" rating printed on the side of the tire. But I decided that would open up a whole other can of worms with those who intentionally ride around with overinflated tires (ooops, hope I did not just open that can of worms!). So I skipped that warning. Guess I just can't win. :lmao:

Other than that, we both said the exact same thing in our replies, using different words.

EDIT - So quackdor, the answer to your question, in case I confused you with all the side stuff, is yes you can save money and get the 93V's. Like Waldo stated, the Fusion OEM tires are 93V. In addition, I gave my MKZ tires a quick check and they are 93V. And the MKZ is a little heavier than the Fusion.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
waldo
Le Mans: GT Class

But the load rating is the load rating, Michelin can't change the rules. 1433lbs is the load rating of EVERY 93 tire @ 35psi. Technically though the load rating at anything above 35 psi is still 1433 lbs, so saying 1433@51psi is correct I guess, but it is ALSO 1433 @35psi.
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Waldo link=topic=132720.msg2858156#msg2858156 date=1231734866]
But the load rating is the load rating, Michelin can't change the rules. 1433lbs is the load rating of EVERY 93 tire @ 35psi. Technically though the load rating at anything above 35 psi is still 1433 lbs, so saying 1433@51psi is correct I guess, but it is ALSO 1433 @35psi.
[/quote]

Hi Waldo. Sheeesh! I thought you had understood my reply and we had moved on?

Waldo, you know from our past conversations that I consider you a good and helpful member of this forum. Having said that, what would you like me to tell you? Did I state anywhere in my previous reply that I thought you were incorrect? Did I state anywhere in my previous reply that I thought Michelin gets to change the rules? Didn't I make it crystal clear that I was simply relaying the information exactly as Michelin publishes it (unedited by me)? I thought (hoped?) the explanation in my previous reply was pretty self explanatory. I even tried to provide it in a humorous manner, to lighten things up a bit. After all, we are only providing information here, not curing cancer.

As I previously stated, I was simply relaying the information to quackdor from the Michelin website, exactly as Michelin had it posted concerning the two load ratings he was inquiring about. As far as I am concerned, it is not my place to edit the information contained on the Michelin site concerning the Pilot MXM4. I simply presented it to quackdor as Michelin provided it. I do not edit technical information to my liking (not saying you do, just that I don't).

I am not sure why we are still having this conversation? I thought I clearly stated that I agree that load ratings are calculated at 35 psi (as The Tire Rack site clearly states). But at the risk of being repetitive, that was not how Michelin presented their load ratings on the MXM4, and I presented it unedited, without my editorial opinion.

So we have established that:
1 - You know how the load ratings are calculated (at 35 psi).
2 - I know how the load ratings are calculated (at 35 psi).
3 - We agree on how the load ratings are calculated (at 35 psi).
4 - Michelin posts their load rating calculations using a psi other than 35.
5 - We do not know why Michelin does that.

So, we are not going to settle anything by debating it, since we agree. And to be honest, once I provided the information to help quackdor, it really does not matter to me.

So if you or anyone else feels the need to get to the bottom of this, you need to contact Michelin. You and I are already in agreement.

Heck, quackdor may have already purchased his new tires (likely 93V's). And even if he did not, his question was answered. He knows he can use a tire with a 93V rating, which is what he was hoping for.

You and I agree as to how load ratings are officially calculated, so what the heck is the difference at this point? Not everything is worth a protracted conversation/debate. Especially when the two sides already agree (that would be you and me).

Good luck.

PS - As you can see above, I am hoping that if I clearly state that you and I are in agreement over and over, we can drop this and move on. I also hope it is clear that I am not trying to be a wiseguy, just trying to inject some subtle humor/a sense of irony into the entire issue. :lmao:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Wheels / Tires