AdvanceTrac® or Traction Control System (TCS)… which one have I got? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
jutod
Short Track Racer

Default AdvanceTrac® or Traction Control System (TCS)… which one have I got?

I have new 2009 SEL V6 SAP Fusion and it came with the Traction Control that has the TCS on/off button at the top of the center console bezel (next the hazard switch I think).

So my manual has a section for AdvanceTrac® and then another section for Traction Control (TCS). In some ways they seem the same feature, but yet in others the manual seems to imply thay are different. Does anyone know if these are the same, or if thay are different, and how to tell if which one you really have??? The manual seems to imply that AdvanceTrac® has both Traction Control (TCS) and Electronic Stability Control (ESC). Yet the Traction Control (TCS) section in the manual speaks only of Traction Control and nothing for skiding or sliding (which ESC covers). So are these two features really together or can the car have TCS and not ESC as well? The manual seems to imply you could have Traction Control (TCS) or AdvanceTrac® (which is TCS and ESC combined). Am I reading this right?

Also, I have noticed that some other folks around here do not seem to have the TCS switch on their dash like I have. Is it a standard feature for V6 SEL cars only? Mine didn’t show it as Optional Equipment as the window sticker showed it under Standard Equipment. So I guess I'm confused on what models it does come standard and which ones it doesn't. I remember test driving a 2009 Fusion SEL I4 that didn’t have it. But yet I saw a guy on this forum yesterday that has a 2009 V6 SEL SAP and his pictures didn't show the TCS button on the dash?????

I am a little confused about this feature, and how it's offered????

Thanks,
jutod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Default Re: AdvanceTrac® or Traction Control System (TCS)… which one have I got?

[quote author=jutod link=topic=125028.msg2657651#msg2657651 date=1222871557]
I have new 2009 SEL V6 SAP Fusion and it came with the Traction Control that has the TCS on/off button at the top of the center console bezel (next the hazard switch I think).

So my manual has a section for AdvanceTrac® and then another section for Traction Control (TCS). In some ways they seem the same feature, but yet in others the manual seems to imply thay are different. Does anyone know if these are the same, or if thay are different, and how to tell if which one you really have??? The manual seems to imply that AdvanceTrac® has both Traction Control (TCS) and Electronic Stability Control (ESC). Yet the Traction Control (TCS) section in the manual speaks only of Traction Control and nothing for skiding or sliding (which ESC covers). So are these two features really together or can the car have TCS and not ESC as well? The manual seems to imply you could have Traction Control (TCS) or AdvanceTrac® (which is TCS and ESC combined). Am I reading this right?

Also, I have noticed that some other folks around here do not seem to have the TCS switch on their dash like I have. Is it a standard feature for V6 SEL cars only? Mine didn’t show it as Optional Equipment as the window sticker showed it under Standard Equipment. So I guess I'm confused on what models it does come standard and which ones it doesn't. I remember test driving a 2009 Fusion SEL I4 that didn’t have it. But yet I saw a guy on this forum yesterday that has a 2009 V6 SEL SAP and his pictures didn't show the TCS button on the dash?????

I am a little confused about this feature, and how it's offered????

Thanks,

[/quote]

Hi jutod. Okay, let's try to answer your questions one at a time: AdvancTrac Electronic Stability Control and Traction control are two different features. AdvanceTrac ESC is an option on 2009 Fusions. It is not a standard feature.

Traction control is standard on the V-6 models, optional otherwise.

An integral part of AdvanceTrac is Traction Control. So any vehicle with AdvanceTrac ESC also has Traction Control. But vehicles with "only" Traction Control do not have AdvanceTrac ESC.

Traction Control will simply control wheel spin by electronically limiting the amount of power going to the spinning wheel. It will do this by either limiting power to that wheel, or applying brake to the wheel that is spinning.

AdvanceTrac ESC goes several steps further. It will actually compare the angle of the steering wheel to how your wheels are spinning and apply brake or throttle to the necessary wheels to get you back on your intended course.Iif your vehicle is out of control (for example, you are going around a turn in rain or snow and your vehicle begins to slide), the AdvanceTrac ESC system will attempt to get it back under control and heading in the right direction (compared to the steering wheel position).

Traction control is much simpler, it simply stops the spinning drive wheel from spinning.

As to any pictures you were looking at, I can not explain the equipment layouts Again however, all 2009 V-6 Fusions have Traction Control. It is optional otherwise.

And AdvanceTrac ESC is an optional feature. It is not currently standard on any Fusion.

This is why there is a separate section in the Owners Manual for each feature.

Hope this information is not too confusing. If it is, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
jutod
Short Track Racer

Default Re: AdvanceTrac® or Traction Control System (TCS)… which one have I got?

Thanks for your reply!!! It does clear things up except for one thing......

The manual seems to imply that the same TCS button and dash light icon are what's used for the AdvanceTrac feature as wellas the TCS feature. So just by looking that the button is present in the car, and watching the light come on at start up and then go off, will not tell a person if they have TCS or AdvanceTrac right? Basically it would only tell a person it has one or the other right?

In other words..... you would have to know what it came with originally to determine what it actually has (if you were looking at a used one)?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=jutod link=topic=125028.msg2657798#msg2657798 date=1222875176]
Thanks for your reply!!! It does clear things up except for one thing......

The manual seems to imply that the same TCS button and dash light icon are what's used for the AdvanceTrac feature as wellas the TCS feature. So just by looking that the button is present in the car, and watching the light come on at start up and then go off, will not tell a person if they have TCS or AdvanceTrac right? Basically it would only tell a person it has one or the other right?

In other words..... you would have to know what it came with originally to determine what it actually has (if you were looking at a used one)?

[/quote]

EDIT: Hi Jutod. I now see what you are talking about. Yes, that "sliding car icon" covers both AdvanceTrac ESC and Traction Control. Since that is the case, you will need to reference either your Window Sticker, your Purchase contract, or go back and ask the Dealer Sales staff or Service Department staff whether your car is equipped with AdvanceTrac ESC or not.
Since I do not have a 2009 Fusion, I am forced to look things up in the online Owners Manual.
Sorry for the miscommunication.

Hi jutod. You can look at your Window Sticker (if you still have it). AdvanceTrac ESC will be listed as an option if your car is so equipped. If you do not have the Window Sticker, ask your Dealer for a copy of it. Your Dealers Service Department can also tell you if you have AdvanceTrac ESC or not. You can ask them next time you have your Fusion in for Service.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
jutod
Short Track Racer

My manual refers to only the Traction Control on page 204 and shows the same icon as used for AdvanceTrac (which is located on the previous pages before page 204).

I know that my car doesn't have AdvanceTrac, but yet I have the same sliding car icon that lights up upon startup indicating Traction Control (TCS) is enabled.

I don't think a person could tell which one they have just by going off the button and light in the dash. What I see (in the manual and on my car) is that they (button and light) are used for the same purpose for either TCS or AdvanceTrac.

****EDIT****

I didn't see your edit above before I wrote this!!

So basically if a person was looking at a used car.... they would not be able to tell by looking at the button and light alone to determine if the car has TCS or TCS and ESC (AdvancTrac). That was the point I was making. I actually know what my car has now since you posted your first post here (and my window sticker confirms it also).

Thanks,
Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=jutod link=topic=125028.msg2657907#msg2657907 date=1222877079]
My manual refers to only the Traction Control on page 204 and shows the same icon as used for AdvanceTrac (which is located on the previous pages before page 204).

I know that my car doesn't have AdvanceTrac, but yet I have the same sliding car icon that lights up upon startup indicating Traction Control (TCS) is enabled.

I don't think a person could tell which one they have just by going off the button and light in the dash. What I see (in the manual and on my car) is that they (button and light) are used for the same purpose for either TCS or AdvanceTrac.
[/quote]

EDIT - Pheeew. Okay, glad we figured that out. Once again, I was typing this reply as you edited your last reply.
So the outcome is that you do not have AdvanceTrac ESC (as per your Window Sticker), is that correct?
And again, sorry for the miscommunication, but it gets confusing sometimes when I am switching back and forth between screens. At my age I can hear my brain cells little screams as they kick the bucket one by one. :lmao:

Hi jutod. I realized that I had misread your previous post and had made a mistake, even as you were typing your above reply. Please go to my last post and read the EDITED section (in red).

In addition to th other choices for finding out whether you have AdvanceTrac ESC, you can ask the Dealer to provide you a copy of the Factory Invoice. It will list all equipment your vehicle has.

Please understand, I do not have your Owners Manual in front of me, I was looking information up in the online version. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
jutod
Short Track Racer

Yeah... that was funny. You and I were just a little too fast for each other!!!

Yes... my car does not have AdvanceTrac. It only has Traction Control System (TCS).

However, I do think we have collectively figured out that a person would not be able to tell which one they have by looking at the button or dash light alone. Folks that might be looking for a used car would not be able to tell from that alone.

Thanks for all your insight!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Hoops
Bicycle Rider

You can tell if a Fusion has Advance trac by the button alone. My GF has an 09 with traction control, and the button says TCS. Fusions with Advance trac have a car with squiggly lines. A picture of the car with squiggly lines button can be seen in the Fusion photo gallery on Ford's website.

The light on the dash must be the same for both.
1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 5spd
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 AM   #9
JJ57
Bicycle Rider

Hi, Newbie here, but thought I would jump in.

All the cars that have Traction Control will have "TCS" displayed on the button.

All the cars that have Advance Trac will have that sliding car icon thingy on the button withe the 2 squiggle lines on it.

However, the light on the dash is the same for both.

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/milan...int_photos.asp

If you take a look at this interior shot of the Milan, you can see the button.
JJ57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain