6-speed ATF change - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
SamSnyder
Go-Kart Driver

Default 6-speed ATF change

In the "old" days, changing automatic trans fluid was an ordeal, since the only way was to drop the trans pan, which (at least in my case) invariably meant dumping ATF on the ground (or my head). Plus, you could count on a pan gasket leak about half the time. But the AW 6-speed has an actual drain plug, so a basic fluid dump is as painless as an oil change. To me, that means an annual fluid swap is a must.

My research shows that the AW 6-speed in the Fusion (offical name: Aisin Warner TF-80SC) requires specific fluid, apparently due to the type of friction materials used inside. This stuff is out there, although not in Autozone or Pepboys. But it's easy to get anyway, as my Ford dealer had cases of it. Their $6.25 a quart was pricey, but not as bad as the $15/QT. the VW dealer charges for the ATF in my wife's car (it seems that specialty boutique ATF's with "secret" formulas are now a car manufacturer profit center). Plus, the AW only dumped a little over 3 QTs. when I drained it, meaning we're not talking about a lot of money here (which is also another reason for an annual dump, since a lot stays inside there).

This special AW ATF is all apparently sourced from Exxon/Mobil in Canada, and has been around for a few years in Toyotas (which use a lot of AW's). In fact, my '06 SEL dipstick actually says T-IV, which is the official name for the Toyota ATF. According to a Mazda6 service bulletin I got, the cross references are: (Ford XT-8QAW); (Volvo 1161540); (Toyota T-IV); (Mobil JWS3309 (which is probably the real source for all of these)); and (GM 9986195).

Go to it boys. Do the right thing and change your ATF once a year.
SamSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
UnderEstimated

Send a message via ICQ to UnderEstimated Send a message via AIM to UnderEstimated Send a message via MSN to UnderEstimated
Default Re: 6-speed ATF change

Every year sounds a bit excessive to me, unless you plan on keeping the car until it dies. My warranty is 6 year/60K and I won't keep my Fusion longer than that.

Anyway, did you just refill the transmission through the dipstick? I was never sure because on my old Jeep, it clearly stated in a couple of places that fluid should not be added through the dipstick.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
SamSnyder
Go-Kart Driver

Yes, I used a small funnel in the dipstick tube. The trans has a filler plug, but it was buried down under some stuff and would have required a funnel in any event. Just had to go a little slower in the dipstick tube to avoid overflowing it. All very easy really.
SamSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
kaboom
Grand Am Series

I'm just going to flush mine when it's not pink anymore. And I say flush instead of drain and fill because I would like the torque converter fluid to be flushed aswell.

'07 Sel 3.0
ASA 20's on BFG KDW 2's, Steeda Cai, Sct laptop tuned, Magnaflow CB, 15%tint, Eibachs, Billet Grille, Pioneer avic-d3, Phoenix gold comps,coax's,500.4,1200.1,Spl 2 farad cap, Alpine Type-X 12, 0 gauge 3 wire setup. SoundDestroyer deadening.LOTS OF LOUDNESS.
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
ciscoford23
Grand Am Series

Send a message via Yahoo to ciscoford23

I would say changing it every year is a little excessive but to each his own. Sevice interval is 150,000 miles.
ciscoford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
cos
Le Mans: GT Class

Just a bump for a good thread.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Cripes_A_Mighty
Moped Rider

This one's easy. Just open your glovebox and you'll find your Ford "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" right behind your owner's manual in the little black zippered book with the Ford logo on it. "Normal Schedule" says to change the automatic transaxle fluid at 60,000 and 120,000 miles. So that's your minimum recommendation. Driving long distances at low speed, using a car-top carrier, operating in dusty conditions or off-road operation [??] halves that to every 30,000 miles. I'm doing mine every 30,000 at the dealer so the torque converter gets flushed too. I have 67,000 on my '07 and it shifts like new. "You can pay me now or you can pay me later."
Cripes_A_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
bbf2530
Super Moderator

[quote author=Cripes_A_Mighty link=topic=82464.msg2927442#msg2927442 date=1234302298]
This one's easy. Just open your glovebox and you'll find your Ford "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" right behind your owner's manual in the little black zippered book with the Ford logo on it. "Normal Schedule" says to change the automatic transaxle fluid at 60,000 and 120,000 miles. So that's your minimum recommendation. Driving long distances at low speed, using a car-top carrier, operating in dusty conditions or off-road operation [??] halves that to every 30,000 miles. I'm doing mine every 30,000 at the dealer so the torque converter gets flushed too. I have 67,000 on my '07 and it shifts like new. "You can pay me now or you can pay me later."
[/quote]

Hi Cripes. As ciscoford23 stated, the "Normal Maintenance" service interval for changing the fluid in the Fusion/Milan/MKZ transmission (Aisin) is 150,000 miles (not 60,000).

Unfortunately, you were looking at the wrong Schedule in your Maintenance Schedule Booklet. It seems you were looking at the "Normal Schedule for Trucks Vans and SUV's". They have a 60,000 mile "Normal Schedule" change interval.

It is a bit confusing and this mistake has been made before, so do not feel bad. Everyone needs to keep in mind that our Scheduled Maintenance Guide is not vehicle specific. It contains information for all Ford and Lincoln Mercury vehicles, with multiple transmissions and engines. So when we are reading the Scheduled Maintenance Guide, we must be sure to look in the correct section and to read it carefully, being sure the section we are reading pertains to our particular car (and type of driving service).

You need to read further into the Scheduled Maintenance Guide and find the "Normal Schedule for Cars and CUV's." In the 2009 Fusion online version, this information starts on page 29. In my 2007 MKZ Scheduled Maintenance Guide it begins on page 15. So the correct page number will vary from vehicle to vehicle.

For you there was no harm done though, as the "Recommended Interval" on our Aisin trans for "Severe duty, towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier" etc, is 30,000 miles. So you are changing at the recommended "Severe Duty" interval anyway.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
shawn_75
Moped Rider

Having had three Volvos with Aisin transmissions, I'll be ignoring the service schedule and doing flushes around 30-40K.

The Volvo guys drain the pan, refill the pan, disconnect one of the cooler lines and flush through it letting the motor run to pump it out. After a few cycles of this, the fluid comes out clean.

The fluid type discussion has been beat to death on the Volvo forums and it seems to finally be settled that the Toyota fluid is good. Volvo wants a fortune for their tranny fluid.

Shawn
shawn_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
Talisman
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to Talisman

I definitely drive my car harder than most. I'll probably change it next week(50k) since I will be racing a lot this summer.

Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/cd3performance
Fusion/MKZ 2.0 EcoBoost Tuners in stock! Gain 30hp & 55lb ft to the wheels!
GREAT Magnaflow Exhaust Sale Prices! AWD Sway Bars now available!
EARN CASH BACK ON EVERY TRANSACTION!!!
Talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain > V6 Engine Discussion