2.3 I4 Cartridge Oil Filter Warning - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
springer03
Go-Kart Driver

Default 2.3 I4 Cartridge Oil Filter Warning

Today I changed oil on my Milan and found the Purolator #PL15505 was smushed and twisted. After some research I found out there is a problem with that brand of filter on the 2.3 engines that use the cartridge type filter. My filter was only on the car for 1600 miles.
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. From now on I am sticking with WIX or Motorcraft, Mazda OEM.
You can read more here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=6;t=003860

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Metallicat
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: 2.3 I4 Cartridge Oil Filter Warning

Really?* Any idea what caused that?* I used the Purolator Pure1 filter on my car and it looked exactly like the stock filter.

And...how the hell did it "mush" and twist? I will look at mine, just for the sake of checking it, next week. *
Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
shofun91
Short Track Racer

Thanks for the info. I just changed mine at 2500 miles and used the Fram filter. I noticed that when I was putting the cover back on it was very difficult to twist the cover back on. My dealer is doing the next change for free (part of the purchase deal) and I will ask them to check the filter.
Goodyear Eagle F1s 245/45-18
shofun91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
springer03
Go-Kart Driver

Here is a copy of what I left on another site:

Well I changed my oil and filter on my Mercury Milan 2.3 I4 about 1/2 hour ago. Sure enough my Purolator filter looks just like pictures above.
I went out and bought a Carquest (WIX) filter.
(Made in Poland)
I had another Purolator so I thought, okay letís install this thing take it off and look at it.
Well it was twisted like the pictures. (I did not run the engine.)Before this I measured both filters with a mic they were the same at there longest point. The Wix filter has hard caps on both ends and the diameter is 6mm larger. The WIX filter seemed much better IMOP. And I need to add I installed the Wix and also removed it no twisting. IMOP the Purolater with its felt top is griping both the top and bottom of the filter canister and is being twisted when screwing on the filter canister
Old 09-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
shofun91
Short Track Racer

Any new thoughts about the spin-on conversion? I am going to ask my dealer about it.
Goodyear Eagle F1s 245/45-18
shofun91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
cos

springer03,

Thanks for the update. I also read your post in BITOG (I'm a memeber there too). Purolator makes excellent oil filters but apparently not for our 2.3 I-4. I have three and will return them all and get a Wix. I'm due for my first filter change in a couple of weeks. I'm quite curious to see how the OEM filter looks and whether or not the new Wix will twist. I'll report back.

Did you smear a little oil on the top and bottom of any filter you installed? Would that idea possibly help prevent the twisting?

An aside: Do you have an '03 HD with a springer front end?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
springer03
Go-Kart Driver

I do put oil on the top and bottom of the filter. I lube it up really good.
I went to my dealer today and he gave me 2 Motorcraft filters. So that made me happy.
As for the HD with the springer front end yes* I do have one. Take a look at my 105 RWHP sleeper.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
cos

Well I just got back from Advance - I returned the 3 Purolators I had. I think my local NAPA (repackaged Wix) has our filters for $4.99.

Beautiful scoot! What did ya do to get it to 105HP? Branch ported and polished heads? Dyna ignition? What brand 2 into 1 do ya have? I'm glad HD brought out the TC96/6 speed in the whole big twin lineup! I'd like a '07 Fat Boy but that's not in the cards right now.

I have a '01 Suzuki SV650. It's piped and jetted, has an Ohlins shock, Racetech springs and a Sargent seat and is lot's 'o fun.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #9
cos

I just did my 2.3's first filter change. Interestingly the OEM filter has felt rings on the top and bottom as do both models from Purolator. The OEM came out looking good and wasn't twisted. I installed a Wix (Napa Gold #7203, $4.99) and then removed it to see if it twisted the pleats. It came out perfect. Now I did oil the top and bottom of the Wix so that may have helped even though there is plenty of old oil in the filter housing to sufficiently lube a new filter upon installation. I wonder if some filters are twisting the pleats upon removal?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 PM   #10
springer03
Go-Kart Driver

Just changed oil this past weekend and the Wix filter I removed looked perfect.
So I am sticking with WIX or Motorcraft OEM here on out.
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain > I4 Engine Discussion