FordFusionClub.com banner

car pulling to the right

18K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  larryinfl 
#1 ·
since i bought my fusion, it pulled badly to the right like it needed an alignment... took it back to the dealer, they tried to align it, but couldn't. they said the upper control arms on both sides were bad. So they ordered them in, replaced them and aligned it and told me everything was good. I took the car for a test drive... still pulls slightly to the right but i wasnt going to worry about it.

I go to the beach with my dad the next day to mustang week in myrtle beach, sc and the day after i come back i go to work in my car, as i'm coming back from work into my apartment, there is a slight right turn with a dip in it. I always go really slow through the dip to avoid hitting it hard, and as soon as my left front tire drops in the dip i hear a popping noise in the front end of the car and now my car pulls even harder to the right.

Took the car in yesterday and they are keeping it overnight to work on it and they tell me it will be fixed today. Anybody else had this much trouble with their suspension?

#2 ·
The Fusion is very sensitive to alignment due to the suspension design. If the camber and caster is not well matched left and right, it can induce pull. Unfortunatly Mazda didn't design in any provision for adjustment, so Ford created a "service" upper control arm that can shift the caster slightly to try and fix cars that are bad. This sounds like what your dealer did.

The popping though sounds like something else. Likely during the installation the dealer didn't torque something properly. My guess is that they torqued the lower front shock bolts while the car was in the air, thus preloading the bushings.

Try to get them to give you a copy of the final alignment printout.

#4 ·
Well all new cars have at least a few issues, ford is usually at the industry average with companies like lexus being among the best but even they have a few issues per new car. I thought mine was out of alignment but after having it checked and driving some more I think I'm just paranoid about stuff being wrong

best of luck

#5 ·
[quote author=otaku link=topic=53199.msg1137056#msg1137056 date=1168168461]
Well all new cars have at least a few issues, ford is usually at the industry average with companies like lexus being among the best but even they have a few issues per new car. I thought mine was out of alignment but after having it checked and driving some more I think I'm just paranoid about stuff being wrong

best of luck
[/quote]
Otaku,

I think it's typical to give a vehicle closer scrutiny when it's new. As it gets older the idiosyncrasies don't seem to matter as much, are accepted as what they are. But little things can count a lot toward overall satisfaction, like the convenience of having a light in the glove box or having a lighted ignition switch.

Cars that won't track in a straight line on a smooth highway at 60 mph, ones that drift to the left or right, obviously have an alignment problem that should be corrected and should be correctable, too.

#6 ·
[quote author=urnews link=topic=53199.msg1135284#msg1135284 date=1168040355]
I am rapidly becoming very disillusioned after reading all of these types of horror stories about the Fusion. :(
Boz
[/quote]

You're complaining about one guy who had a problem 5 months ago? Ford's built about 60,000 Fusions since then, so that means 59,999 are fine!

#7 ·
Quote from: urnews on January 05, 2007, 06:39:15 PM
I am rapidly becoming very disillusioned after reading all of these types of horror stories about the Fusion. Sad
Boz

You're complaining about one guy who had a problem 5 months ago? Ford's built about 60,000 Fusions since then, so that means 59,999 are fine!

Waldo,
I suppose that does put things in their proper perspective. I just don't like reading about problems with a model that I own, out of fear that mine will go haywire, too. :) Boz

#8 ·
OK, if you dogstomp the accelerator and you notice that the car pulls to the RIGHT, then you're paranoid. The thing is DESIGNED to do this as a precautionary measure. If you dogstomp it and it pulls to the LEFT, then you need to have that checked out because LEFTWARD is TOWARDS oncoming traffic.

#10 ·
Well, when you're flogging it from a stop, the right wheel receives much of the power which is also why it goes to the right. The AWD versions don't do it at all.

#11 ·
that is exacly what torque steer is.

#12 ·
But it is just crazy that there is no adjustment built into the car. I guess they thought their super car-building robots would get tolerances so close it would not be an issue. And the release of a service a-arm to tweak the settings shows they've realized they were wrong.

#13 ·
[quote author=urnews link=topic=53199.msg1139320#msg1139320 date=1168297143]
Quote from: urnews on January 05, 2007, 06:39:15 PM
I am rapidly becoming very disillusioned after reading all of these types of horror stories about the Fusion. Sad
Boz

Waldo,
I suppose that does put things in their proper perspective. I just don't like reading about problems with a model that I own, out of fear that mine will go haywire, too. :) Boz
[/quote]

You'll always hear more negative about any car than good. When something goes wrong everyone loves to complain. But when everything is running smooth they don't say a thing. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.