FordFusionClub.com banner

Fuel tank wont fill all the way

21K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  ckenaan 
#1 ·
2 of the last 3 times I have filled up with gas, I can only fill the tank up about half way, and the gas is cut off. Is anyone else having this problem? I searched around and haven't found anything with the Fusions.

#2 ·
[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=163962.msg3477364#msg3477364 date=1262277341]
2 of the last 3 times I have filled up with gas, I can only fill the tank up about half way, and the gas is cut off. Is anyone else having this problem? I searched around and haven't found anything with the Fusions.
[/quote]

ok sounds stupid but I had a problem with the car kicking off the pump a bunch of times at the gas station. The attendant said leave the car running and it worked. dunno why but worth a try.

#4 ·
[quote author=blackfusion06 link=topic=163962.msg3477398#msg3477398 date=1262280000]
ok sounds stupid but I had a problem with the car kicking off the pump a bunch of times at the gas station. The attendant said leave the car running and it worked. dunno why but worth a try.
[/quote]
Is that safe? lol, ill have to try that.

[quote author=TheUkrainian link=topic=163962.msg3477402#msg3477402 date=1262280222]
I've had this happen to me twice, both times at the same gas station too. Maybe it's the pump?
[/quote]
It could be, the first time it happened, it looked like an older pump, so after that I used the ones that looked like newer pumps, and still happened, but they were both at the same station.

#5 ·
The one station that it happened to me at is on my way to school so I don't really stop at it unless I forget to get gas and am running low (it's 1 of 3 truck stops along I-94 that usually have lower priced gas) and the pumps did look a little old.

#6 ·
I had a 2007 Ford Mustang which I traded for a 2010 Sel Fusion this December on account of said problem"gas fill up problem" TSB Ford Bulletin 07-21-12. This problem has been happening since 2005 without any solution. Hopefully this is not the same problem on my new Fusion! If so I might have to stop bying Ford products,only bought 12 so far!

#7 ·
I can't say I've had problems with the pump clicking off when it's only 1/2 full, but I have felt that once the pump clicks off, that's all she wrote. Seldom can get any more fuel into the tank. I know everyone preaches not to continue to pump, but the OCD person inside me insists on trying to "round up" my purchases to an even amount.

I wouldn't however recommended filling the car up with it running. Can potentially create some issues with the emission systems and throw a CEL. This is besides the general safety factor, of course.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input Doug!! My last fill up went fine, filled right up, this was at the same station, but different pump, i realized that the two times it has not filled up was at a pump with 3 hoses, whereas when it fills all the way up, there is 1 hose with 3 octane buttons.

#9 ·
Some of the problem may indeed be the station and their pumps. Simply might be more "sensitive" than others. I typically get gas at only 3 stations (convenient to work, home and on the way home) and I haven't had any real issues at any of them.

#11 ·
I have gotten the same thing at "certain" gas stations. I doubt it's your car and it could just be the particular pump you went to. I'd try a different pump or gas station and see if it continues to do it before getting it looked at.

#12 ·
Yeah im thinking its the station, I have filled up several times since this has happened, and I always make sure to use the pumps with one hose, and 3 octane buttons, as those seem newer, and I havent had this problem since.

#13 ·
I had this problem when my car was only a few months old. Could not get fuel into the tank no matter how close to empty it was. This happened at numerous stations. Dealer had to replace the fuel neck, under warranty, never happened again.

#14 ·
Bump, Don't do anything with your filler, fuel tank, etc. Most of the time, the problem is with the gasoline pump. When the filler pipe fills up with liquid gasoline, there is a shutoff valve that triggers the pump to stop. Nothing you can do about it except (a) do it manually at a slow pace (b) go to another gasoline station (c) wait until somebody improves the design of the pump filler.

#17 ·
Just wanted to clear up some information that was posted in this thread.

Under no conditions are you to EVER fill the car with the car running. Someone above said that they do this and this is probably about as safe as lighting a smoke while you're filling up.

Not only is this an obvious danger, I'd imagine that having the car running with the gas cap open would eventually throw a CEL due to a loss in gas cap pressure.

#19 ·
This was a chronic issue with 05-07 Escapes/Mariners/Tribbys. Ford's answer was to pull the nozzle out some (don't stick in all the way). This helped some, but not always.

#21 ·
I have had only a few pumps click on me before the tank was actually full. I have also had a few not to click at all and spill fuel on the ground. I have a cousin who went to a pump to fill up, locked the pump handle, and got back in his car (which you shouldn't do also because of possible electric charges), and failed to realize that the pump was still pumping fuel when the car was full and wasted about 8 gallons on fuel on the ground. I wasn't there, but he and his girlfriend told me about the incident. So, I believe also that some fuel pumps click/not click depending on the condition of the vehicle's fuel tank and its components.

#22 ·
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=163962.msg3959326#msg3959326 date=1299794269]
failed to realize that the pump was still pumping fuel when the car was full and wasted about 8 gallons on fuel on the ground.
[/quote]

Yea, this happened to me.. not 8 gallons! but it overflowed and the little overflow prevention device didnt work lol.. It was in my escape and started the pump, went in to get a drink and munchies for the road and came out to my car with a puddle around the rear wheel, and the pump still going!.. It couldnt have been more than a gallon.. but I had to wash down the side of the car with the winshield squeegee to get the gas off the cars paint! :eekcrazy:

#23 ·
[quote author=Ckenaan link=topic=163962.msg3959332#msg3959332 date=1299794525]
failed to realize that the pump was still pumping fuel when the car was full and wasted about 8 gallons on fuel on the ground.
[/quote]

Yea, this happened to me.. not 8 gallons! but it overflowed and the little overflow prevention device didnt work lol.. It was in my escape and started the pump, went in to get a drink and munchies for the road and came out to my car with a puddle around the rear wheel, and the pump still going!.. It couldnt have been more than a gallon.. but I had to wash down the side of the car with the winshield squeegee to get the gas off the cars paint! :eekcrazy:
[/quote]

When it happened to me, it was no more than a cup or so, because I was standing there. The way my cousin told me about the incident, he said the store clerk had to come out and pour some kind of "Spill Magic" substance, or the like, over the area and they couldn't move the car until all of it was cleaned up. Must have been a complete embarasment. :lol:

#24 ·
and failed to realize that the pump was still pumping fuel when the car was full and wasted about 8 gallons on fuel on the ground. I wasn't there,
[/quote]
Not to be a dick but that is another reason they say do not leave the pump unattended.

#25 ·
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=163962.msg3959358#msg3959358 date=1299795451]
and failed to realize that the pump was still pumping fuel when the car was full and wasted about 8 gallons on fuel on the ground. I wasn't there,
[/quote]
Not to be a dick but that is another reason they say do not leave the pump unattended.
[/quote]
:dur:

#26 ·
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=163962.msg3959358#msg3959358 date=1299795451]
[/quote]
[/quote]

That is true, but no one follows 100% of the rules 100% of the time. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.