FordFusionClub.com banner

If I made custom grills would people buy them?

16K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  CanadaX21 
#1 · (Edited)
Most of you have seen the grill I made for my fusion. Some like it some do not. Using the stock grill pieces did not work out real well for painting and durability so I am looking to make a mold and make one out of ABS plastic. Once I made the mold I could make an almost limitless number of them. They would be a solid plastic frame with honeycomb mesh (same as the lower sport grill) molded as part of it. Would you buy it and how much would be a good price? I think materials are going to cost about 45 dollars.

#2 ·
I still like my 5 year old car. It's probably worth much less than I think, but I'd be willing to purchase your grill at a reasonable price. Not that a new grill would add any value to my car should I need to sell it and buy something other.

The factory grill is not the most attractive grill in my view, but I've never seen anyone laugh at my car while driving by.

I've seen custom grills on eBay for $300 and up. Those look pretty plain to me but others may think differently. Can you Photoshop your detailed design?

#5 · (Edited)
I was thinking $100 max maybe less. Depends on how many people want one and how large a bulk of plastic I get. Because of the sheer size of the top piece it would be very similar to the e-bay one in that either the top piece would be three pieces (like how the grill on the Ford edge is) or the grill part would meet up with the top piece. I know most would want to see finished work first. I'm doing one regardless for my own car. When its done I will post up the results and people can order one if they like it.

I have seen so many people in the car world make custom stuff get in over there head and people get upset because of price etc. I’m not trying to make a lot of money off of this. If I was I wouldn’t tell you how much materials cost. And no offense but I wouldn’t be making stuff for the fusion.

#6 · (Edited)
I would be interested once I see the final product. My Fusion came with a front grill that was so pockmarked that this could be nice improvement. I do worry about what this might do to aerodynamics at high speed though. These cars are somewhat challenged in that area already.

#12 ·
Yes the one in the pics is off slightly, another reason why i want to redo it. It would have the spot for the ford emblem. I have to finnish redoing my wifes srt4 first, clutch, port match, down pipe/o2 housing, custom tune, bov, and a bunch moee items. Once thats done i will get started on the grill.

#14 ·
Yea, this WILL happen just haven't had the time to get to it yet. the more I look at the grill the less I like the smaller honeycomb. I have realized a few things too. For durability the mesh parts needs to be formed as part of the frame not attached to it. I am researching materials to make my mold with and then once I have garage space I will get started.

#16 ·
Yea I have seen that one before. You can't really tell from the pics but it requires a lot of cutting to install. It requires you to keep the stock top bar and cut it a lot. And requires a lot of cutting of the shell behind the bars. I honestly don't like what they did with the bottom of the top grill rather then maintain the line of the stock bumper they kind of created their own line. They did a crappy job following the line of the bumper.

#20 ·
Sorry guys been super busy and haven't been able to work on it. I'm going to order some new mesh this week to make it look 100% better then I will post up pictures.

Problem with the grill posted above is the grill on the fusion has a very specific curve to it and requires some weird shaping to look right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.