2010 Ford Fusion Sport Dash Rattle - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
JDerenzo
Bicycle Rider

Default 2010 Ford Fusion Sport Dash Rattle

Hello!

Here's the story about the car. I purchased my fusion sport as a certified pre-owned with 34xxx. I also purchased the premium care warranty for it since they gave me a great deal on it. Long story short, the dealership I purchased from: The sales department is great, service is garbage (the same service department who cant replicate my passenger door not opening but that's another story) . They said they can't replicate the sound. I than brought it to another dealership and the response I got is, the warranty you have doesn't cover that (which I find hard to believe). Its fit and finish issue.

Here's whats going on with the dash. On the passenger side, coming from the air-bag is a annoying rattle. If you put pressure on the dash near the air vent that blows towards the side windows, it goes away. Unfortunately with the acoustics of the cab, it drives me insane. I'm a handy man and usually do most of the work myself, if anyone knows how to fix it - please let me know or have any other advice about Ford's service departments.

I've always had Fords in the past because they are reliable but always had issues with their family owned service departments. I owned a dodge, yes it broke down but never been rejected with theirs. Now I'm back and It sort of sucks.

Thanks, John
JDerenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
JDerenzo
Bicycle Rider

bump
JDerenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Big Jim
Le Mans: GT Class

If it has been three years and/or 36,000 miles from the in-service date, you are past the bumper to bumper warranty. None of the extended warranties cover this sort of thing.

I would still hammer the selling dealer though. After all, it was a certified pre-owned, and they should be more willing to help.

It really helps if you can drive the car and demonstrate the noise to one of the dealerships technical staff (one that knows enough about cars, not just one of the service advisers). I can't tell you how many times I fixed problems that the owner demonstrated that could not be found without.

To resolve the issue, someone needs to look more deeply for something that could be loose or out of place in the vicinity of where you hear the noise.

Dealership have (or at least they did when I was still involved) a rattle kit, that includes felt pads and the like that can sometimes be used to get rid of a noise like you are describing. Stuffing some of that material where it accomplishes the same thing that hold it does might help.

Also, I have heard that sometimes the air bag itself can rattle. Without training, don't mess with the air bag yourself, but pulling it out and gently shaking it might reveal your problem. Pulling it out would also give you a better view of things around it.
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
my3needsaname
Grand Am Series

I was hoping you'd say it was on the driver's side right under the instrument cluster dash cover because that's where I had mine. Technician found it easily and put extra insulation in the spot. Solved it thus far in its life and that was when mine was 1-2 years old, I think.
2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer - Stacey | Stock
my3needsaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Vidmo
Short Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3needsaname View Post
I was hoping you'd say it was on the driver's side right under the instrument cluster dash cover because that's where I had mine. Technician found it easily and put extra insulation in the spot. Solved it thus far in its life and that was when mine was 1-2 years old, I think.
Can you provide some more details on how the tech fixed this? I have the same issue and can't figure out where or what to do about it. It drives me nuts.

Vidmo
Old 10-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
my3needsaname
Grand Am Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmo View Post
Can you provide some more details on how the tech fixed this? I have the same issue and can't figure out where or what to do about it. It drives me nuts.

Vidmo
Let's see if I can describe this, it's been a while since that go fixed. Under the right side of the arched portion of the dash there is a point where the tolerance between the instrument panel and the padded cover where they meet. I have very little idea as to where exactly it is and my car is currently 32 miles away...and in one piece so I can't get you anything more specific. But all you need to do is find the portion between the instrument panel and padded cover where they are closest and add a little insulation between them. My rattle comes back every now and then but for the most part it is gone.

Sorry I can't get any more specific than that but if the tech can pull the part and look around then he should find the spot. But it was near the front of the right side under the arched portion.
2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer - Stacey | Stock
my3needsaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford General Discussion > Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln Zephyr & MKZ