FordFusionClub.com banner

New tires for 2010 Fusion SEL: Should I stick with Mich. Pilot MXM4?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  2010SEL 
#1 ·
Hello, I am at 32,000 miles (4 years 8 months as I really only average 20 miles a day, mostly stop and go on my commute 40-45 mph average high in NJ).
My dealer found that there was dry rotting on my tires and mentioned the sidewalls. They look like little x's throughout the tires.

I am planning on getting them replaced early next week.
I was wondering if I should stick with the same ones?

Some other ones I have been reading about have been the Michelin Energy Saver A/s as well as the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max and Goodyear Assurance Comforted Touring.

Are any of these okay as well?

Thanks everyone for your help in advance

Also- is there a way for me to post a picture of the tire in here?

#3 ·
Hi Howard. If you would like somewhat accurate tire advice for your driving style and preferences, more information would be needed. For example - What attributes do you value most out of handling (dry weather, wet weather, snow etc.), a smooth ride, fuel economy, tread wear, do you want an all season tire etc...?

I would advise going to The Tire Rack website and using their tire buying decision guide to see what they recommend and use that information along with opinions from here to make a decision.

Now, that being said...when my tires needed replacing I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Better wet, dry and snow handling than my original tires along with no loss of ride comfort.

Additionally, how much usable tread do your current tires still have (mine needed replacing at ~54,000 miles)? While I don't want to second guess whoever told you they needed replacing, there is also the possibility they are being overly cautious (along with trying to sell you tires) and you may be able to safely get another season or two out of them. It all depends on how bad the dry rot or "checking" actually is. A second or third opinion from a tire shop or two wouldn't hurt.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.