FordFusionClub.com banner

Taboo - has anyone taken their vehicle through a carwash w/ the roof antenna on?

9K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  kevy002 
#1 ·
I say "taboo" only because I normally hand wash all of my vehicles, however, w/ the low temps currently hovering over NJ for the last 2 months, it makes it nearly impossible to hand wash a car when it's below 30*... I have done it in the past, only to have the water freeze on the vehicle before I could dry it (and the entire car looks like a clear candy coated lolipop).

I need to take it through a car wash to get all of the road salt/dirt off of it from the last snowstorm... and also need the chassis/floorpans cleaned (most automated washes shoot the underside of the vehicle for cleaning purposes). I have never had a vehicle w/ a rooftop antenna, so I was wondering if anyone else has taken their Fusion/Milan/MKZ through such an automated car wash w/ the antenna still attached? Was there or is there any issues in doing so?

#2 ·
Re: Taboo - has anyone taken their vehicle through a carwash w/ the roof antenna

I rarely go in those things. When I used to have the whip antenna I would always take it off. Takes like 5 seconds to do. I'm not sure how much pressure the rollers put on your car but why take the chance.

#7 ·
[quote author=Cobra Jet link=topic=165026.msg3498795#msg3498795 date=1263571530]
I say "taboo" only because I normally hand wash all of my vehicles, however, w/ the low temps currently hovering over NJ for the last 2 months, it makes it nearly impossible to hand wash a car when it's below 30*... I have done it in the past, only to have the water freeze on the vehicle before I could dry it (and the entire car looks like a clear candy coated lolipop).

I need to take it through a car wash to get all of the road salt/dirt off of it from the last snowstorm... and also need the chassis/floorpans cleaned (most automated washes shoot the underside of the vehicle for cleaning purposes). I have never had a vehicle w/ a rooftop antenna, so I was wondering if anyone else has taken their Fusion/Milan/MKZ through such an automated car wash w/ the antenna still attached? Was there or is there any issues in doing so?
[/quote]

Hi CJ. :wavey: As others have already mentioned, the antennae unscrews. The attendant run car washes in my area of NJ will always remove antennae (when they are removable) before allowing a car through.

My opinion? I would recommend removing it to avoid damage. Why take the chance when it takes 10 seconds to unscrew it?

Good luck. :cheers:

#8 ·
Only problem I've ever had with the roof-mounted antenna is that some jacka$$ stole it a month or so after I bought the car.

Some car washes have removed it, some have not. No problem either way. So far.

#9 ·
Re: Taboo - has anyone taken their vehicle through a carwash w/ the roof antenna

[quote author=bigchips link=topic=165026.msg3499031#msg3499031 date=1263581992]
take it to a coin wash station and just spray it down
[/quote]
This is your best bet or even a touch-less car wash. Having those felt (or whatever they are) flaps just slap dirt and drag it across the paint will ruin a clear coat fast.

#10 ·
Automatic carwashes......shudder. I like my paint too much to take my car there. I understand that cold temps make it difficult to wash your car outside in the winter though.

Look into Optimum No-Rinse wash and shine. You can wash your car using only a bucket of water, a sponge, and towels to dry it. I've been using it for several months now because I don't have access to a hose at my apartment. If it's too cold outside, you can wash your car in your garage if you have one. If not, as long as it's not super cold out, you should be able to wash one or two panels at a time and dry them off before the water freezes.

#11 ·

[quote author=JasonL link=topic=165026.msg3501173#msg3501173 date=1263749677]
Automatic carwashes......shudder. I like my paint too much to take my car there. I understand that cold temps make it difficult to wash your car outside in the winter though.

Look into Optimum No-Rinse wash and shine. You can wash your car using only a bucket of water, a sponge, and towels to dry it. I've been using it for several months now because I don't have access to a hose at my apartment. If it's too cold outside, you can wash your car in your garage if you have one. If not, as long as it's not super cold out, you should be able to wash one or two panels at a time and dry them off before the water freezes.
[/quote]

dont forget the rubber gloves so u dont freeze your hands to the sponge lol :shock:

#12 ·

[quote author=bigchips link=topic=165026.msg3502221#msg3502221 date=1263830547]
[quote author=JasonL link=topic=165026.msg3501173#msg3501173 date=1263749677]

[/quote]

dont forget the rubber gloves so u dont freeze your hands to the sponge lol :shock:
[/quote]

I use hot water from the bath tub lol.

#17 ·
There are 2 "hand washes" down the street from me in Queens and I was walking past them going to 5 Guys the other day. They had just washed this brand new A8 and there were like 10 mexicans outside drying it off with towels that were visibly dirty. One of them drops his towel on the pavement, picks it back up and starts rubbing the paint with the side that was laying on the pavement. :rofl::rofl:

My car is black so it will show scratches and swirls easily which is why I'm the only one that ever touches my car. I walk down the street and every black car I see looks like it has been wet sanded from all of the automatic carwashes it has been through. To each their own I guess...

#19 ·
[quote author=speedfreak87 link=topic=165026.msg3505006#msg3505006 date=1263949868]
Since it's been but ass cold out, I've been taking mine to the hand wash.. No machines, just a bunch of little illegals scrubbing away. :) [/quote]

Hmmm... interesting, so instead of putting the money into the machine on the wall (for the do it yourself carwash stalls), you just put your money in their hands - and when they time out, you just give them more money? LMAO!!!!

:lol:

#20 ·
[quote author=Cobra Jet link=topic=165026.msg3505965#msg3505965 date=1264003491]
[quote author=speedfreak87 link=topic=165026.msg3505006#msg3505006 date=1263949868]
Since it's been but ass cold out, I've been taking mine to the hand wash.. No machines, just a bunch of little illegals scrubbing away. :) [/quote]

Hmmm... interesting, so instead of putting the money into the machine on the wall (for the do it yourself carwash stalls), you just put your money in their hands - and when they time out, you just give them more money? LMAO!!!!

[/quote]

Nah, I just wear my I.C.E. jacket. lol!

#21 ·
[quote author=speedfreak87 link=topic=165026.msg3507547#msg3507547 date=1264049499]
[quote author=Cobra Jet link=topic=165026.msg3505965#msg3505965 date=1264003491]

[/quote]

Nah, I just wear my I.C.E. jacket. lol!
[/quote]

:chuckles: :cheers:

#22 ·
I live in Northern Ontario, Canada....you know, "LAND OF ICE AND SNOW". Anyway, I take my car through the "TOUCHLESS" carwash all the time, at least twice a week as we have TONS of salt/sand on the roads... I never take the roof mount antenna off as nothing touches the car, except the water/soap etc. One thing to keep in mind, if you do take it off, make sure you dry the roof mounted portion very well, as I have seen some corroded antennas before that have affected reception.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.