FordFusionClub.com banner

Fusion IIHS testing

14K views 51 replies 18 participants last post by  TGFuze 
#1 ·
Fusion must have bombed on the IIHS crash testing. This was on the Ford Dealer website this moring:

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has tested the 2006 Ford Fusion and will air
its results on Dateline NBC this Sunday evening. You will receive another
communication on Monday regarding the results of the test.
I
t's important to remind your sales staff that the Ford Fusion meets all Federal Motor
Vehicle Safety Standards, and offers optional safety features that include side airbags
and air curtains.
Fusion offers as standard equipment Ford’s Personal Safety System™, which includes
dual-deployment front air bags, energy absorbing safety belts, load-limiting retractors
and pretensioners. On the driver’s side, deployment of the steering-wheel-mounted air
bag is tailored to the seat-track position, which takes account of the driver’s distance
from the steering wheel, as well as crash severity and safety belt usage.
Ford Fusion’s solid structure and confident driving dynamics are the first line of security
in challenging driving conditions. Enhancing the feeling of security are standard fourchannel
brakes designed to enhance driver control even under extreme braking
conditions.
An available anti-lock braking system (ABS) helps improve braking on slippery surfaces
while the optional traction-control system constantly monitors slip at all four wheels and
can act in as little as 100 milliseconds to help restore or maintain traction. The system
first reduces engine power by retarding ignition spark timing and, if necessary, reducing
fuel flow. It then selectively activates braking to stop the drive wheels from spinning.
Customers will find peace of mind in Fusion's comprehensive approach to safety,
including a comprehensive suite of standard safety technology and available enhanced
safety features.

See less See more
#3 ·
My policy is about $600-700 for 6 months, full coverage.

#4 ·
I just watched dateline with the crash test of the fusion. I dont care for the way dateline does reporting. I went to IIHS.ORG and read the report and found out a few more things than what dateline said. I copied and pasted this from the IIHS.

New Fusion isn't up to par with midsize competitors: The Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan is among only two current midsize car designs (the other is the Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring) that don't earn the highest rating of good in the Institute's frontal offset crash test. The Fusion without optional side airbags is rated poor for side crash protection, and it earned a marginal rating for rear crash protection.

"The Fusion is a disappointment because it's a brand new design," Lund says. "Ford has done a good job with some other recent models, but the Fusion is at the back of the pack among midsize cars for overall safety performance." In Fusions manufactured after January, Ford added a structure below the accelerator pedal designed to reduce injury risk to the right leg and foot in frontal offset crashes.

"This fix didn't work in our test," Lund says. "Forces recorded on the dummy's right leg were high, and a metal pin broke in the dummy's ankle. Ford is doing more research to find a solution and has indicated it will ask the Institute to retest the Fusion for frontal crash performance later this year."

The Fusion earned the lowest rating of poor in the side impact test. Without side airbags, injury measures recorded on the driver dummy indicated that serious head injuries would be possible in a real-world crash of similar severity. Measures from other parts of the dummy indicated that rib fractures or internal organ injuries and a fractured pelvis also would be likely.

"The side structure of the Fusion held up reasonably well in the crash test, and this car's structural rating of acceptable is better than some other midsize models we've tested," Lund points out. Protection in the rear seat was reasonably good. The head of the dummy in the rear seat struck the pillar behind the rear door. This area is required by federal standard to provide some protection for an occupant's head, but the Fusion is rated poor overall because of high forces recorded on the driver dummy's head, pelvis, and torso.

The Fusion's side airbags aren't standard equipment, and the Institute's policy is to test vehicles without these airbags if they're optional. Manufacturers who want a second test with side airbags have to reimburse the Institute for the cost of the vehicle. Initially, Ford didn't request a second test of the Fusion with optional side airbags.

"Usually when an automaker doesn't ask for the optional test, we presume it means the side airbags wouldn't help much to improve the car's rating," explains Lund. "But now Ford has requested a second test, so the Fusion with side airbags may earn a better rating than poor. We'll conduct the test and report the result."

If you look at the website... the structure of the fusion seems solid. the only problem with the frontal is foot injury probably due to engine and transmission buckling the floor. According to what I read, the side structure held up resonably well. However, TV didnt say any of these things. Also, if you look at the goverment crash test of the side impact the fusion gets a good rating with side airbags. If the G6 got a poor without the airbags and got a good with them, I bet the fusion will also. I am looking forward to the test results with the side impact airbags. The way I see it, no matter how strong the structure, in a side impact without anything to keep your head from hitting the barrier, its going to get a poor.

#5 ·
On the side tests, I think it's a trade off. Look at the 500, it scores best in both tests with quad five star and good from IIHS and a gold pick status (although they didn't test without side bags). However, I think a big part of the reason for the good side test (gets 5 stars even WITHOUT side air bags) is that they give up some room to put some space between the occupant and the side of the car. With a large car they had this luxury, but I'm guessing on Fusion that the room trade off wasn't worth it. I know if Fusion were any smaller I wouldn't be buying one, that's why I've never even considered a Mazda 6.

In another example, look at the new 06 Explorer, it will get 5 stars (if it hasn't yet) because of they way the designed the armrest to be soft and aid in impact. The problem is it is lousy for getting in and out of since the grab handle to shut the door isn't in a place you naturally reach. Next year (after getting the right to brag about 5 star), they'll redo the door panel with a grab handle you can use.

#6 ·
Hey FordTech: Did you notice that all the top Japanese Vehicles in that class, were tested with the 4-cylinder engines. I wonder why the Fusion in the test, did not have the standard I-4. Do you think that could have changed the floorboard issue? I think it could have.

It sure seems to me that when the Insurance Industry chose to compare automobiles,
they would at least view apples with apples and oranges with oranges!
:?

#7 ·
If you actually go to the IHS website and read the complete review, I don't think it's any worse than most other cars of that size. It's just a fact of physics that large cars are not as safe as small cars. The mass-media always reports these things in a way that makes Ford and GM look bad and the japanese look good. The "big 2" networks have had it in for Ford in particular ever since the Firestone / Explorer fiasco.

#8 ·
I agree with the chosen vehicles for this reason.  The Jap cars are mostly 4 cyl's, I think both Accord and Camry are about 75% 4 cyl.  Fusion sales are more V6 (although it is close to 50/50) demand is higer for the Ford V6.

But I do agree that if they are going to get this in depth, the frontal offset test is meaningless if you have a 4 cyl car. Since the engine would play a major factor in the results, particularly in the footwell results.

#9 ·
The main thing that bothers me about this is that my car does not have the side airbags and it will be a standard feature next year.

I could understand if this was a new technology that that just came out, but this is old technology that Ford is using to correct a problem that they found after production.

I would be curious to see the competitions' results without side airbags.

#10 ·
[quote author=captainhook link=topic=41341.msg606278#msg606278 date=1141663221]
The main thing that bothers me about this is that my car does not have the side airbags and it will be a standard feature next year.

I could understand if this was a new technology that that just came out, but this is old technology that Ford is using to correct a problem that they found after production.

[/quote]

I hear ya! I too paid for the option (glad I did) but now it will be standard , sounds like Ford is a little paranoid now after these results and is doing damage control with standard side airbag offer.

#11 ·
Did not catch Dateline, but I did catch CNN review of the safest cars on the industry for 06'. They obcourse rated Eastern cars on top and the Fusion on the bottom list, but the reporter did say the Fusion was tested without the side airbags. But what other cars were below the Fusion?  

F' the IIHS testing seem Ford did not want to pay them to pass the Fusion and Milan so they have the tight pink panties all up their rectum. Check the government testing at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/index2.cfm?myYear=2006&myMake=Ford&myModel=Fusion It is a total different story.

I wonder why they put for cars manufactured after January 2006? Are the October - December models bettter or worst rated? Why is it because of the right foot ankle support? That is nuts.

#12 ·
  A lot of people who know nothing about automobiles will hang their hat on these tests. This test could mean the difference between a product line, living or dieing. Now watch what happens in Consumer Reports. Once this slanted report goes out and is not questioned by the media its fall on the sward time.
  To be absolutely fair, these tests should reflect 4 cyl. against 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. against 6 cyl. In my view, anything else presents a biased picture to an unsuspecting consumer.
:?

#13 ·
[quote author=Cudos link=topic=41341.msg606296#msg606296 date=1141663845]
[quote author=captainhook link=topic=41341.msg606278#msg606278 date=1141663221]

[/quote]

I hear ya! I too paid for the option (glad I did) but now it will be standard , sounds like Ford is a little paranoid now after these results and is doing damage control with standard side airbag offer.
[/quote]

Maybe this will be the first recall. And will call back most of the Fusion to have Side air bags installed. Just a ponderous aspect of the situation. :thinking:

#14 ·
[quote author=bpmetalmilitia link=topic=41341.msg606306#msg606306 date=1141664356]
Maybe this will be the first recall. And will call back most of the Fusion to have Side air bags installed. Just a ponderous aspect of the situation. :thinking:
[/quote]

Not gonna happen! :lol:

That would be an unprecidented move. I can think of no other auto-maker that has done something like that.

It would be nice if they had a recall to add the plastic ramp that protects the drivers foot though. That's a low cost consession they could make.

#15 ·
[quote author=PegAir link=topic=41341.msg606318#msg606318 date=1141665137]
[quote author=bpmetalmilitia link=topic=41341.msg606306#msg606306 date=1141664356]
[/quote]

Not gonna happen!   :lol: 

That would be an unprecedented move.  I can think of no other auto-maker that has done something like that.

It would be nice if they had a recall to add the plastic ramp that protects the drivers foot though.  That's a low cost consession they could make.
[/quote]

Agreed, all Ford can do now is damage control with further testing and re-think some design flaws in future model years. Once again 1st year models are biting Ford right in the pooper, remember 1st year windstar (head gaskets & trans), this is dam disappointing though, unacceptable really in this day and age, especially after all the talk of de-throning Honda, Mazda, Nissan and then drop the ball ( if indeed this tests stand up) Recall? no, a possible TSB to fix the right front foot concern in the frontal crash? that is possible providing they can come up with a non structural fix. This would at least change the rating to good for the frontal and then with the standard side air bag that are coming should smooth things out.

#16 ·
Did not catch Dateline, but I did catch CNN review of the safest cars on the industry for 06'. They obcourse rated Eastern cars on top and the Fusion on the bottom list, but the reporter did say the Fusion was tested without the side airbags. But what other cars were below the Fusion?  

F' the IIHS testing seem Ford did not want to pay them to pass the Fusion and Milan so they have the tight pink panties all up their rectum. Check the government testing at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/index2.cfm?myYear=2006&myMake=Ford&myModel=Fusion It is a total different story.

I wonder why they put for cars manufactured after January 2006? Are the October - December models bettter or worst rated? Why is it because of the right foot ankle support? That is nuts.
[/quote]

I wonder why the different test scores? 4 stars and 5 stars with side airbag from the gvmt testing. Do they use inferior testing guidlines? If someone crashed 5 Fusions the same way would the scores be the same each time? Is crash testing that goof proof.

#18 ·
The way I see it is that the fusion really did not do that bad. If you look at the test results in the frontal, the only problem was due to leg/foot injury. It wasnt that long ago that high end cars were getting worse results. I really think the fusion is a pretty well built car. According to all the other cars I compared these results to.... the overall structure had a better rating in the fusion. The injury level was higher than desired, but the structure seemed to be rated well. There is even a quote from IIHS that says the side structure held up better than most vehicles tested. It just needed the side bags and all would have been good. I think ford messed up by not sending them another car to retest at the same time like GM did with the G6. Also, I dont care what car it is, if its a smaller car and a larger suv hits the side at 40mph, your head will hit the oncoming vehicle unless you have airbags or a side door thats so high you cant see over it.

#19 ·
By the way... I forgot to point out that the frontal crash test got an acceptable.. which is considered the IIHS second highest rating. So its really not that bad. If it got a marginal or poor on the front then I would be more concerned. I guess you could consider that a B rating.

#21 ·
When I heard the report about the Fusion, the reporter also mentioned that a Pontiac something or other also had poor side impact results, but then the RETESTED the Pontiac WITH optional side impact bags. Why did Pontiac enjoy a repeat thest and Fusion did not?

It would seem to me that the test is "rigged" to perpetuate the myth that the rice-sucking crap from Japan (it doesn't matter WHERE it is assembled - that is a minor part of the cost of a car) can do no wrong, and American iron can do no right.

Consumers Reports similarly starts with the answer and backs into the test and question. Want more proof? Read Car and Driver (a magazine I usually respect) in the Fusion comparo, they drone endlessly about the way the instrument needles are painted at the CENTER of the gauge - and give Toyota and Honda extra points for the paint color of the CENTER of the gauge - not the part you actually read! Ford got berated for having a silver ring around the center part of the gauges!

Anyone else tired of the crap?

#22 ·
[quote author=bartman1 link=topic=41341.msg607468#msg607468 date=1141736314]
When I heard the report about the Fusion, the reporter also mentioned that a Pontiac something or other also had poor side impact results, but then the RETESTED the Pontiac WITH optional side impact bags. Why did Pontiac enjoy a repeat thest and Fusion did not?
[/quote]

As was stated earlier in this thread (okay that's kinda mean) GM sent the IIHS a second car to retest with air bags, ford chose not to. Operative word is CHOSE.

The IIHS tests cars only in their STANDARD EQUIPMENT configuration, WITHOUT any optional safety equipment.

Automakers can re-emburse the IIHS the cost of buying another car with all the optional safety features for a re-test if they wish.

Here is where it gets ugly, I heard someone say something to the effect of; Generally speaking when automakers chose not to have us retest its because they expect little improvement with the optional safety features.

[-- Edit --]

Oh well forget that last paragraph cause I can't find that reference now and it really needs to be sited, and attributed.

Here is the transcript for the dateline show in case anyone missed it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11644173/

#23 ·
Ah!! :D Found it ..

"Usually when an automaker doesn't ask for the optional test, we presume it means the side airbags wouldn't help much to improve the car's rating," explains Lund. "But now Ford has requested a second test, so the Fusion with side airbags may earn a better rating than poor. We'll conduct the test and report the result."

:lol:

#24 ·
At least they requested the retest. It'll be $100,000 well spent, because the current rating will kill them.

Ford does this testing internally before releasing the car. If they knew the results would be this bad, they should have made side airbags standard.

Standard does not mean free. They'll have to raise the base price to compensate.

I don't think it typically makes much of a difference whether the engine is the four or the six. The transmission, not the engine, is nearer the firewall, and the transmission is usually in the same location regardless of engine.

#25 ·
It's hard to see the big picture but it looks like to me, that the back bank of cylinders mashed the fire wall where the dummies right foot and ankle is. Notice that nothing was said about the left foot or ankle, being broken. One of the key factors here is, this car is based on the Mazda 6 design and look how well it came out with an I-4 under the hood. I am not saying that Ford does not have to fix this but what I am saying is that, if they are going to base insurance rates these tests and this data, it needs to be spot on. Test the car with the I-4 and test the car with the V6! :bitching:

#26 ·
It probably makes little difference but would the dummies right foot have been on the accelerator or the brake pedal during the test? and would it matter? If I was about hit something my foot would likely be on the brake pedal not the gas.

But would it matter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.