FordFusionClub.com banner

DTC P0128

104K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  rob916 
#1 ·
My 2006 2.3 threw a code for the first time just as I'm hitting 75,000 miles. My scan tool reported P0128 MOD $00 Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temp. I read that you get this code if the time period expired without reaching 175 of target ECT temperature.I reset it and it did not come back yet. I read on a Mazda forum board that this is a nuisance. Anybody else experienced this code yet?

#27 ·
LOL, first time I've ever taken any car I've owned to a dealer was yesterday to replace the T-stat on my 06 S 2.3 MTX. The car has 80k on it so it is time... the dealership said it would take several days to get to it. I've been driving the car for about 1 year with this DTC intermittently, lately it has been happening 2x a week. I noticed the same thing with my scan tool that Tracylpatt was talking about. My temps ranged from 175-179 when the light was set... I'd guess that the magical temp for the trigger is around 180.

I've had horrible luck with aftermarket thermostats in the past for newer cars (even Stant, which is OEM in many cars). My sebring had horrible problems with an autozone/advance stant, but the same part from chrysler (it even had the same # on it) yielded no DTC's... when you're dealing with components this important to longevity, it is a really good idea to go with OEM parts... not just OE equivalent aftermarket stuff.

All of that said, I've had terrific luck with aftermarket parts in older cars and trucks. I'd guess that when the manufacturing moves abroad, close tolerances and quality are after-thoughts.

#28 ·
Just a heads up.. I just had the same code come up on my 06 Fusion S 2.3 and took it to the dealer this week. They advised that since it is a PZEV motor (your 8th VIN digit will be Z) that the thermostat was covered under a 15 year/150,000 mile emissions warranty and they fixed it for free. Something anyone may want to look into if they have this problem.

#30 ·
[quote author=torquelover link=topic=153792.msg3837869#msg3837869 date=1287887258]
I had this come up over the summer. Reset the code, and it hasn't come back since. I'm at 59k miles.
[/quote]

I reset my code the first time and it was months before the CEL came back on . It started occuring more often over time until I replaced the thermostat.

#31 ·
[quote author=Rob916 link=topic=153792.msg3833304#msg3833304 date=1287550606]
Just a heads up.. I just had the same code come up on my 06 Fusion S 2.3 and took it to the dealer this week. They advised that since it is a PZEV motor (your 8th VIN digit will be Z) that the thermostat was covered under a 15 year/150,000 mile emissions warranty and they fixed it for free. Something anyone may want to look into if they have this problem.
[/quote]

I just spoke with a relative that runs a Ford dealership and asked him if the thermostat was covered past the normal warranty period. I gave him the information that you have provided. He said that the emission warranty is only 8 years/80,000 miles. There is no 15 year/150,000 mile warranty. The thermostat falls under the bumper to bumper warranty of 3 years/36,000 miles. I'm glad you had your local dealer repair the car for you for free. Maybe California is different.

#32 ·
[quote author=Tracylpatt link=topic=153792.msg3839460#msg3839460 date=1288035173]
I just spoke with a relative that runs a Ford dealership and asked him if the thermostat was covered past the normal warranty period. I gave him the information that you have provided. He said that the emission warranty is only 8 years/80,000 miles. There is no 15 year/150,000 mile warranty. The thermostat falls under the bumper to bumper warranty of 3 years/36,000 miles.

You're lucky to have had your local dealer repair the car for you for free. Maybe California is different. If you live outside of California I wouldn't advise anyone to go to the dealer and waste their time if they are outside of their bumper to bumper warranty. Just my 2 cents...
[/quote]

Yes I believe the 15/150k emissions warranty is a California thing however there are Federal guidelines for the emission warranty as well. They also advised that the warranty pertains to PZEV engines so perhaps this is a California thing as well? Either way a faulty thermostat DOES negatively impact emissions so it does fall under any emissions warranty.

Here is something I found on another site regarding the subject. "15-year or 150,000-mile emissions warranty is extended only in states that have adopted the LEV standards.".

On the other hand.. perhaps they did hook me up since I fix all their radios for them. LOL

#33 ·
Here is a snippet from Ford's site. The California warranty DOES cover other states provided the vehicle complies with PZEV standards and your state complies with California standards. I hope this information can help some people out. Be sure to see if your state is covered.

Vehicles Eligible for California Emission Warranty Coverage
California emission warranty coverage applies if your vehicles meets the following two requirements:

•Your vehicle is registered in California or other states adopting California emission and warranty regulations, * and
•Your vehicle is certified for sale in California as indicated on the vehicle emission control information label
* Other states adopting California emissions and warranty regulation:

•Passenger Car & Light-duty Trucks (up to 8,500 pounds GVWR) - California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington (NOTE: New York adopted California emission standards, but not the California Emissions Warranty; the Federal Emissions Control Warranty applies to all non-PZEV vehicles in New York)
•Medium-Duty Vehicles (over 8,500 pounds GVWR up to 14,000 pounds GVWR) - California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington
•Light Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Vehicles (over 14,000 pounds GVWR up to 19,500 pounds GVWR) - California, Maine, and Pennsylvania.

#35 ·
I have had the P0128 code problem for about a year now on my 2007 Fusion S. The car only has 41k on it and I recently had the battery replaced for the second time since I bought the car. I finally got around to taking the car to NTB and got the thermostat replaced for $145. If the code pops back up I will be taking it to the dealership for a better evaluation.

#38 ·
I was just looking for this thread!!! :)

#39 ·
The seal or gasket (#7 on the diagrahm on page 1), isn't there suppose to be a replacement included with the new thermostat? I just noticed there isn't one included with my new thermostat.

#41 ·
I have yet to replace mine. :-( I got the thermastat, but I have not gotten the coolant yet. The coolant doesn't HAVE to be Motorcraft does it? Can I get some from Autozone or any other auto store as long as it is compatible for the car?

#43 ·
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=153792.msg4014411#msg4014411 date=1304613718]
I have yet to replace mine. :-( I got the thermastat, but I have not gotten the coolant yet. The coolant doesn't HAVE to be Motorcraft does it? Can I get some from Autozone or any other auto store as long as it is compatible for the car?
[/quote]

Hi Ceace. :wavey: No, it does not have to be the Motorcraft branded product. However, to avoid issues with compatibility, corrosion, Warranty (when applicable) etc., it does have to meet the particular antifreeze/coolant specifications which are listed in your Owners Manual. Also, keep in mind that coolant specifications can change in different model years of the same vehicle. Therefore what is specified/required in one model year Fusion/Milan/MKZ may not work in another. So check your Owners Manual for the specifications for your model year. There is a chart listing all the various specifications for all liquids, lubricants and chemicals etc. in our Manuals.

Swoosh states that the Zerex G-05 meets the proper specs. Check your Owners Manual and if that is the case, you can go with the Zerex branded product if it costs less.

Let us know how you make out and good luck. :cheers:

#45 ·
Thanks. :) I am just really cautious with antifreeze. Some years ago, I put some coolant in my wife's Focus, and later the thermastat had to be replaced. I was told that the brand I used ended up turning into a "jelly" and messed up the thermastat (if I remember correctly).

#46 ·
Ok, I ran up on a gallon of antifreeze that I bought from Wal-Mart some time ago that the serviceman tod me was compatible for my car. It is Prestone 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze/Coolant. It is a neon yellow color. Is this antifreeze safe to use in my car? They only looked at the color of my current antifreeze when they gave me this one.

#47 ·
Just sharing my experiences with Ford:

I dropped the car off yesterday to finally have them take a look at the DTC P0128 problem. Mine is a 07 SE 2.3L with 50,864 miles. I got a call today and the service writer told me they are replacing the thermostat, housing, and gasket, flushing/filling the cooling system, and covering all labor under warranty. I asked if there were any new or existing TSB's, and he said no but that they had seen the problem a few times recently and have fixed each the same way with no further issues. It should be done tomorrow as long as parts come in as scheduled in the morning.

#48 ·
[quote author=enriched link=topic=153792.msg3982430#msg3982430 date=1301834798]
Confirmed!! :) the factory extended warranty does cover this repair, replacement to the thermostat. considered part of the engine.
SO far no charge$$$
[/quote]

AS a update;
I did get charged $100 deductible....uuugh..... :shock:under my extended warranty...they said they were unaware until they got it back themselves

#49 ·
I picked mine up yesterday. Parts were ordered late Thursday and didn't show up until Friday afternoon. The notes on the work order confirm that they used the other (new) part number 3M4Z 8575 B (RT-1193). Seems to be running just fine. I haven't noticed if the fans are running more than normal because I was only on the highway with the AC running yesterday. Cost... $0.00!

#50 ·
Good thread! The info was very helpful, I recently had my mechanic replace my thermostat with the new style Motorcraft unit. So far so good (no CEL) and no, the fan isn't running anymore then it used to.

#51 ·
[/quote]

I checked the Emissions Warranty for my 2006. The 15 year/150K mile warranty only applies to models with California emissions - and only to a specific list of parts like the ECU and other electronics (the thermostat isn't on the list). Your dealer must really like you 'cuz this was a big favor.

WK
2006 S - MT

#52 ·
I checked the Emissions Warranty for my 2006. The 15 year/150K mile warranty only applies to models with California emissions - and only to a specific list of parts like the ECU and other electronics (the thermostat isn't on the list). Your dealer must really like you 'cuz this was a big favor.

WK
2006 S - MT[/QUOTE]

Strange since my 06 is NOT CA emissions, vehicle came from out of state. From what I read it covers ANY vehicle with a PZEV engine, I did indeed find a list on some CA GOV site and it does list the thermostat since the thermostat will affect emissions if it is not operating properly. Awhile back I helped a guy in NY with this same situation and he said his dealer confirmed the same thing and replaced his free of charge. Like I mentioned in another reply, some states follow CA emission standards and honor the same warranty. I hope this information helps some people out. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.