FordFusionClub.com banner

FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid

39K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  vlonjati 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I just wanted to post this here so that you all can learn from my experience.

I just got a 2006 Fusion and have been working to establish a base line of service and maintenance. All this in home to get a 2-4 years from the car.
To get to my point. I called my service debt. at the local Ford dealership. (side note Kain's Ford in London KY has been one of the best experiences I have had with a dealership). I asked if I could have my my transmission oil flushed and made an appointment to do so. I got there two Mondays ago and they flushed my trans with Marcon V fluid. I asked them if I would experience the car shift a little smoother, to which they said that in 100 or so miles I should. I also asked if they had replaced the fluid with the right kind and they said yes.

To recap, Marcon V it is not the right fluid for my cars transmition. They call my transmission FNR5 and it looks like there is
a specifically made fluid for it. Per owners manual guideline the right fluid is the fluid with part number XT-9-QMM5 (page 246 in the owners manual. Ford calls (Motorcraft FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Mazda V).
To my surprise that was not Marcon V part number XT-5-QMC.
The ATF deep stick also point out the use of ATF M-V which is not an abbreviation of Marcon V ruther Mazda M-V. Mazda M-V fluid is equal to Mazda V equal to FNR ATF.

Per my research here are the links from the Ford website supporting my findings from Ford Customer Service Division's Motorcraft Chemicals and Lubricants U.S.

Marcon V definition ( http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=MERCON%AE%20V%20Automatic%20Transmission%20and%20Power%20Steering%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid )

Please pay special attention to the third bullet point.

FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid, (part #XT-9-QMM5) (http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=FNR5%20Automatic%20Transmission%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid )

Please note the strong remarks from the bullet points.

No here is the last pice of research I found http://www.underhoodservice.com/article/72709/tech_feature_eliminating_the__confusion_of_servicing_fords_midsize_vehicles.aspx

So those were the findings. I called the service department today and they asked that I'd go down there immediately to make the mistake right.
They flushed my transmission and I must say that after driving it around for about 100 miles now the car shifts smoother. I used to have a hard hitting shift from the first to the second gear. I must say that it is gone.

I hope this helps.

Marcon V it is not good enough for Ford Fuision with FNR5 transmission. Ford has a specific fluid for it, use only that one.
Kain's Ford in London KY, was very helpful and they were more than happy to admit to the mistake and make it right. Service like theirs is rare now days.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.