FordFusionClub.com banner

"wrench" light

72K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  fordktpjoe 
#1 ·
OK, I did a search on this, but couldn't really find an answer, so I am asking here, hoping to find a solution.

It's a 2006, I4, Automatic, 77,000 miles, Only mod was changed from cartridge filter to canister type, oil changed every 5,000 miles, (Pennzoil 5W20) Trans flushed at 50,000, Generally runs like a champ, but I have noticed that the mileage is down to around 25 MPG from 28 or better.

This morning, as the wife was on her way to work, running cruise, she turned off the cruise (for whatever reason) and the "wrench" light came on and the car lost power. Not ALL power, just some.

So she calls me, all panicky. I got a bit panicky myself thinking it may have lost oil pressure, not knowing what that light meant, and told her to pull over, shut it down and look in the owners manual to see what that light meant. she said something about cruise/throttle/transmission. so I told her to go on to work, and not to run cruise anymore.

So she fires it back up and the light was off, and didn't come back on the rest of the way to work, about 25 more miles. I told her to take it to the dealer at lunch and see what they said. Also, a few months back the "emissions" light came on for a while (only while she was driving at lunch and partially on her way home, but went back off)

Am I looking at a several thousand dollar repair? A new engine? A simple cleaning of the throttle body? maybe a PCM flash?

ANY help is appreciated, even yelling at me for not doing something I was supposed to have done already.

Joe.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have had the wrench light come on in my '06 I4 auto as well. Same thing as you, I shut it down and when I restarted it the light was off. I checked for codes with my scanner and came up with nothing. I also think someone else here mentioned the same issue. Good news is that I don't think it is any problem....so far. If you do take it in to the dealer, let us know what they say. Thanks.

#3 ·
[quote author=fordktpjoe link=topic=133172.msg2860875#msg2860875 date=1231851856]
OK, I did a search on this, but couldn't really find an answer, so I am asking here, hoping to find a solution.

It's a 2006, I4, Automatic, 77,000 miles, Only mod was changed from cartridge filter to canister type, oil changed every 5,000 miles, (Pennzoil 5W20) Trans flushed at 50,000, Generally runs like a champ, but I have noticed that the mileage is down to around 25 MPG from 28 or better.

This morning, as the wife was on her way to work, running cruise, she turned off the cruise (for whatever reason) and the "wrench" light came on and the car lost power. Not ALL power, just some.

So she calls me, all panicky. I got a bit panicky myself thinking it may have lost oil pressure, not knowing what that light meant, and told her to pull over, shut it down and look in the owners manual to see what that light meant. she said something about cruise/throttle/transmission. so I told her to go on to work, and not to run cruise anymore.

So she fires it back up and the light was off, and didn't come back on the rest of the way to work, about 25 more miles. I told her to take it to the dealer at lunch and see what they said. Also, a few months back the "emissions" light came on for a while (only while she was driving at lunch and partially on her way home, but went back off)

Am I looking at a several thousand dollar repair? A new engine? A simple cleaning of the throttle body? maybe a PCM flash?

ANY help is appreciated, even yelling at me for not doing something I was supposed to have done already.

Joe.
[/quote]

Hi Joe. :wavey: The "wrench light" illuminates when a powertrain fault has been detected. Simple as that. Usually has to do with the throttle or transmission controls. Keep in mind that the Fusion/Milan/MKZ have a "fly by wire" throttle (no mechanical connection) and many other computerized/electronic controls.

There is most likely a simple solution to your concern. However, there is no way to accurately diagnose the cause of your particular concern over the Internet. Due to the electronic and computerized variables, there could be a hundred (or more) different causes.

Due to winter fuel formulations and colder temperatures, the mileage drop is not abnormal for this time of year, so it is likely not related to the "wrench light".

Ford recommends that you "Contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible" if the "wrench light" illuminates. That is probably your best bet.

Good luck. :cheers:

#4 ·
Your Fusion requires the current powertrain software. When the wrench light illuminated in my 2006 SEL I lost all motive power until I restarted the car.
Very dangerous! but the loss of power you are experiencing is as equally unacceptable. Take your car back to the dealer and insist they address this problem immediately.

#5 ·
OK, she took it to Auto Zone at her lunc break to have the codes pulled. The dealer couldn't get her in, and I read that it'll only hold the codes for three key cycles. what they got was a code P061B.

all I could find on the internet was in the Mustang forums, so we'll take 'er in to the dealer as quick as we can, I'll just have her drive mine to work for a few days.

Thanks for your answers!

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.