FordFusionClub.com banner

spin-on vs cartridge oil filters

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  fatabbot 
#1 ·
This might sound like a stupid question but whats the difference of these two kind of filters if an?

#3 ·
Here's what a cartridge filter looks like:

http://kandn.com/images/m/HP-7013.jpg

Compared to the normal spinon:

You probably knew the above. So if you're asking what's the practical or functional difference, then not much. Both will filter fine. One just involves extra and unnecessary hassle during an oil change by having to remove shrouds, take out an extra drain plug, replace o-rings, etc. The argument is that the cartridge filters produce less waste. IMO, it's a retarded design. The Ecotec cartridge filter design is much more intelligent.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of the cartridge filter layout of the 2.3...

#5 ·
[quote author=danielpoore link=topic=113216.msg2354693#msg2354693 date=1212199943]
Man this makes it a bigger pain in the ( | ) to change the oil myself without having to buy the extra wrench crap.
[/quote]

:lol:

I bought my Milan used, and whoever owned it before me rounded the edges on the filter cap. I have to use channel locks in order to get it off. Effing ridiculous. We just bought my wife a new Escape Limited tonight. I asked the salesman if it had a cartridge filter, and he said no. If he said yes, we were leaving :lol:

#7 ·
[quote author=danielpoore link=topic=113216.msg2355106#msg2355106 date=1212216291]
Its a win for the dealer and lose for the customer.
[/quote]

Well, I think they were well intentioned when they designed it. The execution just sucks.

I had a VUE with the 2.2l and it had a cartridge filter. I liked that one because the filter sat on the top of the engine, so all you had to do was barely lean over, take off the cap and replace the filter. Nothing to drain, nothing to move in order to get to it.

#9 ·
[quote author=danielpoore link=topic=113216.msg2356504#msg2356504 date=1212304846]
What are the oil filters that you guys use and can I have the part number?
[/quote]

I don't have a part number, but I use the NAPA Gold filter that's actually made by WIX. They have a good reputation for filtration (over Fram, etc.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.