FordFusionClub.com banner

The TSB 10B15 Transmission Fix

17K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mike2000z28 
#1 ·
Just Curious - Has anyone else noticed an increase in MPGs since having the transmission reprogrammed? I seem to be getting about 2 MPG more around town. Can't check it on a road trip until next week so I don't know what that will be like.

#2 ·
I have scheduled my 2010 for the tranny update next week. I'm interested in the before and after effects.

Today, (before) I have harsh upshifts 1 to 2 when car is cold. Is this cured?

Today the off-idle "tip in" or accel is smooth and immediate. Is this deteriorated in any way?

On several (rare) occasions I had a 2 to 3 upshift "flare". Is this cured?

Today, the downshift 6 to 5 when starting up a hill is very gentle and immediate. My 2006 tended to lug down in 6 before downshifting. I had that TCM reprogrammed by Ford and the car behaved beautifully. I hope they don't screw up this shifting with the update.

Any info you have on your experiences whould be appreciated.

#3 ·
Being new to automatics, having driven manuals for 35 years, I haven't noted the nuances you describe. I can tell you that when I bought my Fusion, the first thing I said was, "This car shifts way sooner than I would if it were a manual", and none of this with any consistency. My care is always relatively warm as it is garaged, and when I start it up I don't move out until the engine slows down (I'd say about a minute or so). As time progressed, I noticed downshifts occurring at what I considered odd times, and a definite hesitation whenever I gunned it. By contrast, now I am hearing and feeling what I expect when I expect it (again based on my experience driving manuals). I know this is not nearly as technically specific as your questions, but I hope it's of some help.

#4 ·
I anything my mileage went down a mile or 2. My 2010 6 cylinder SEL was getting 25 MPG it is more like 23 now with suburban driving. Possibly it is hotter now so the AC is running more. These mileages are based on the dash display. I do not know if the display averages since the last time it was reset or if it is over a set number of miles.

I have noticed after I have driven the car for 60 miles the display may indicate 26 MPG. The next morning it starts at 26 but moves down to 24.7 in the first couple miles. I understand the car will use more gas when it is cold but for it to drop that much the car must be getting very low mileage in the first couple miles. The car appears to rev more then it is necessary under very moderate acceleration it shifts at 3000 rpm. This is what I would expect from a 4 cylinder. It does not appear to get into overdrive as quickly as it should. If you are coasting down a hill at 50 mpg I would expect it to go into overdrive. I have heard the upgrade was to make life easier on the transmission since it is a marginal design or has a defect that would shorten the life of the transmission if the programing was not updated

#5 ·
I got the update last Monday. In the first few days, I noticed a smoother shift between 1-2, especially when the car is cold. Where it used to be very abrupt on a cold transmission, now it is firm but less of a "jerking motion".

I also sense that there is a slight built-in delay when shifting under hard acceleration. It reminds me of older cars where the engine timing was momentarily retarded during shifts to keep the transmission load under control when upshifting.

However, it is not offensive, and the car remains very responsive to driver input. I have tried near full-bore acceleration with engine revs climing to 5500 or so in each gear - there is not perceived deterioration in the performance (or if there is, I can't feel it), so I'm happy Ford stepped up and made this improvement to help extend the life of the unit.

With 27000 miles on my SEL V-6 AWD, I think I may have one of the "high-mileage" 2010s. It is also one of the first SELs ever produced. I ordered it in December 2008 and received it in early April 2009, it is S/N 628 (the last numbers in the VIN are 100628). So far - not a single problem worth mentioning - some oddities but nothing requiring dealer service until this Transmission notice. I'm just as happy and just as confident in the Fusion as I was on day 1.

Hope the good life continues!

#7 ·
[quote author=cougarman link=topic=175142.msg3733240#msg3733240 date=1279597573]
I have the same hard shifting problem between first and second when the car is cold. Does this effect all 2010's? I have the Se with the v-6.
[/quote]

Hi cougarman :wavey:. No, currently, CSP #10B15 does not affect all 2010's. However, according to your Fusions build date, it is possible it does affect your car.

Here is a link to a site hosting the PDF file for "Customer Satisfaction Program #10B15": www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/attachments/ford-escape/354d1271991685-customer-satisfaction-program-10b15-r10b15%5B1%5D-pdf
If you read the notification letter, you will find the covered manufacture/build dates and other information.

You can also check with your Dealer to see if your vehicle is in the affected build date window.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :cheers:

#9 ·
My car has under 2000 kilometers on it, so its pretty new. I find the 1 to 2 shift jerky, but the other shifts are fine for city driving. I almost have to kinda pace myself for the shift since i get jerked around!. Should i ask my dealer if there are any updates? Is there a way i can find out on here what update my car can get?

Its a 2010 SEL V6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.