FordFusionClub.com banner

A/C - Heat Blowing Cold - 2008 SEL V6 - 45,000 miles

19K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  seasonalskier 
#1 ·
Yesterday my driver side heated seat stopped working, short in the heat mat. Today my heat is blowing cold. It's 20 degrees in Washington DC, great day for both heat and heated seat not to be working.

Anyone had any issues with the heat not working? Any ideas? Warranty went out at 36,000 miles. Maybe a blockage? Anyone know how to check for that sort of thing?

#5 ·
Re: A/C - Heat Blowing Cold - 2008 SEL V6 - 45,000 miles

I'll double check that in the morning. It blows hot only when the engine is running over 2500 RPM. Driving on the highway its fine, sitting in traffic it blows cold. I took it to my normal shop and they couldn't tell me what was wrong. Wanted to keep it for a "few" days, charge me a couple hundred for diagnostic whether they found the issue or not.

Thanks for the ideas.

#6 ·
At idle, if the hose going through the firewall into the heater rad is hot, while the return hose is cold, means the hot coolant is not running through the heater rad. But while if the engine is reving at 2000 RPM or more, if both hoses are hot, then hot coolant is running through. This is a symptom of air trapped in the hoses or in the coolant system. Suggest checking the coolant level in the reserve tank. Open the small bleed valve located on the upper rad hose to let any air out, while topping the reserve tank. Close the bleed valve, and the put the cap back on the reserve tank. The shop manual reads run the V6 engine for 10 minutes at 2500 RPM to expel any air bubbles trapped in the system, to the reserve tank. After 10 minutes, check the level in the reserve tank, top up, and repeat if necessary.

#7 ·
[quote author=twiggy144 link=topic=183313.msg3886763#msg3886763 date=1292688933]
Open the small bleed valve located on the upper rad hose to let any air out, while topping the reserve tank. Close the bleed valve, and the put the cap back on the reserve tank. The shop manual reads run the V6 engine for 10 minutes at 2500 RPM to expel any air bubbles trapped in the system, to the reserve tank.
[/quote]
Can you tell me where that bleed valve is my heat doesn't cut out but defiantly gets colder at idle. Also, is it the same procedure for an I4?

#8 ·
Your post title says V6 engine, anyways the 2,3L engine is the same procedure, except the manual reads to run the engine at 2500 RPM for 30 minutes ! instead of 10 minutes for the 3.0L !

On the 2.3L : follow the upper rad hose from the rad to the "coolant outler adaptor". From there there is a "bleed valve hose" that makes a 90 deg bend up, near to where the heater inlet hose starts. Unscrew the cap on top of that 90 deg bend hose to let the air out while refilling the coolant reservoir.

On the 3.0L. follow the upper rad hose from the rad to the engine. About half way through, there is a "T" like connection, except the third way of the "T" is capped with a screw: that screw cap is the bleeder valve. Open it and refill the reservoir.

#9 ·
Twiggy,

Thanks for the idea. The heat seems to be working fine now that I burped the system. What service manual do you have? I picked up the Haynes repair manual yesterday, very helpful but did not get as much detail as you had. Thank you for that. And I do have the V6, seasonal skier has the i4. It took just about 10 min for the bleed valve to have fluid come out. There did seem to be a good bit of air expelled.

Thanks for your help. Have a great holiday.

#10 ·
A Roth, glad you have hot air ! I hate cold cars! read my profile to see where I live!

I have the 2007-2008 ( time discontinued) official Ford shop manual on CD I purchased from a seller off ebay for $10 Very convenient !

If you have the owners' manual, ( the one we usually stick in the glove box), in the maintenance section, cooling section, there is a sketch of the bleed valve, for both engines.

Enjoy the dealer $200 invoice avoided!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.