FordFusionClub.com banner

Key Stuck in the ignition..............

8K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Cwick21 
#1 ·
So I get to work this morning, put the car in park but I am unable to remove the key form the ignition. Get the manual out to do some research for a resolution......naadaa. Turn the car on shifted the car in reverse, drive, then back into park, turned off the car and tried to remove the key........same thing, key will not release. After looking at the button on the shifter it seemed as if it was not fully "depressed", kind of 3/4 released but not fully released. After starting the car again, I pressed in the shift button multiple times until the I worked it loose in park. It is headed in to the dealership today....................

#3 ·
I had the opposite happen. Took my car in to have a remote start put on at a local accessory shop. Went back to pick it up and the installer asked what the secret was to turn the key. While programming the starter with the two keys, it got to a point where the key wouldn't turn and it wasn't the steering turned stuck thing. Called the dealer to have it towed in. When the tow truck got there, the driver said "let me try something" He took a plastic ice scraper and tapped on the end of the key while it was in the ignition. Did it 3 or 4 times and then the key turned fine. The tumblers in the ignition get stuck or something and that jarred them loose.
The installer said I better take it to the dealer and have it looked at. I told him the dealer wouldn't do anything if it was working fine now. My thoughts on this were confirmed when I asked a friend that works at a dealer. He said if it was working fine now, all they would put on the work order was "could not reproduce or replicate" or something like that.
This was 8 months ago and it has worked fine since.

#4 ·
Thanks Dre.

G
#7 ·
[quote author=whatup link=topic=71856.msg1265390#msg1265390 date=1173816925]
Next time hit it with a hammer that fixes everything. J/K :eek:
[/quote]

I second that lol.

I actually had both problems, key got stuck in ignition, and it wouldn't go in. So yeah, I'm really wtf'ing around here. LOL Everything is cool now though.

#8 ·
My car has done this once but I got it out, forget what it was I did to do it. Something with the steering wheel. However the TSB isn't listed for my vehicle since it was built about a month after the cutoff. Hmm. This is the second TSB I've been interested in that my car isn't listed for...

#9 ·
This happenned to mine. Took it to the Dealership. They had to replace the shifter because the metal tab was broke and the car couldn't realize it was in park. So, keep an eye on it.

-Jason

G
#10 ·
The other day I had a fire call and I was in a hurry and I couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition to start the car.

I'M LIKE WTF. WHY ISN"T THIS DAMN THING TURNING. I sat their for five minutes thinking my car is fudged.

Turns out you got to take some pressure off the steering wheel, I was like "duh".

#11 ·
My key got stuck about 4 months ago. I took it to the dealership, and problem solved.

#12 ·
[quote author=jason2004gt link=topic=71856.msg1685427#msg1685427 date=1188772912]
This happenned to mine. Took it to the Dealership. They had to replace the shifter because the metal tab was broke and the car couldn't realize it was in park. So, keep an eye on it.

-Jason
[/quote]

Mine did the exact same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.