FordFusionClub.com banner

Ford Illuminated Door Sills

17K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Big Jim 
#1 ·
I've seen much fuss made about about the Steeda Stainless Steel door sills, but not much on the "genuine Ford accessory" illuminated door sills... I'm thinkin about getting these for my 2010 Fusion, but there don't seem to be many pics of them...

All that I can find is from the Ford accessory site http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/catalog.do?prodInfo=Fusion~2010~8E5Z_54132A08_AA

If anyone has these and can take some pics for me, I'd appreciate it... Any other stories/advice would be appreciated too.

#6 ·
[quote author=mmmfloorpie link=topic=170486.msg3610063#msg3610063 date=1270962219]
Thanks for the reply! Those do look beautiful... I didn't realize it was the rubber part on the door well that they replaced... From the Ford accessory store mini pic it looks like they just replaced that plastic trim scuff plate. Good to know!
[/quote]

Hi mmmfloorpie. :wavey: As Milan Premier stated, his pictures show the Factory lighted sill plates.

As you originally thought, the Ford Accessory lighted sill plates you linked to are different than the Factory lighted sill plates in Milan Premier's pictures. The Ford Accessory sill plates are made to attach to the plastic trim inside the door sill (they don't replace the plastic trim, just attach to it), while the Factory plates are attached to the steel door sill.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :cheers:

#7 ·
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=170486.msg3610069#msg3610069 date=1270962713]
the Ford Accessory lighted sill plates you linked to are different than the Factory lighted sill plates in Milan Premier's pictures. [/quote]
There seems to be some confusion here, so let me try to clear it up... The door sills pictured above are from the Mercuryaccessories web site. They are same ones from the Fordaccessories web site, except they say Milan instead of Fusion. Only Lincoln has them available from the factory, and if you don't order the car that way then the dealer will install them (on the Lincoln) on the plastic piece for reasons explained below.

The Ford Accessory sill plates are made to attach to the plastic trim inside the door sill (they don't replace the plastic trim, just attach to it), while the Factory plates are attached to the steel door sill.
Ford only tells people to install them on the plastic trim because it is so much easier to install them there. However, if you ever look at a MKZ they are installed from the factory as pictured above. To install them as pictured above you'll need to have a LOT of patience, as fishing the wires will take you many hours, and a tube of G.E. sealer to insulate the wires properly. I have seen them installed both ways and I do not like them on the plastic trim piece, because they look tacky and "added-on" there (you see them sticking out when the door is closed). My friend is going to be buying a new 2010 or 2011 Taurus, and he wants me to install these on it as pictured above, so I will of course document the install for others and post it here, however, if you'd like I could write up a install summery (without detailed pictures) now for those who can't wait. The trickiest part is drilling the holes and running the wires. Well worth it though I think :goodjob:

#8 ·
To clear up more confusion I have changed my post above from saying 'factory" to saying "Ford". The ones from Steeda do not light up so I don't like those. It's very classy to be able to open your door and see the Ford style light up. I just wish the Ford style covered more real estate with stainless steel.

#9 ·
[quote author=Milan Premier link=topic=170486.msg3610391#msg3610391 date=1271011065]
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=170486.msg3610069#msg3610069 date=1270962713]
the Ford Accessory lighted sill plates you linked to are different than the Factory lighted sill plates in Milan Premier's pictures. [/quote]
There seems to be some confusion here, so let me try to clear it up... The door sills pictured above are from the Mercuryaccessories web site. They are same ones from the Fordaccessories web site, except they say Milan instead of Fusion. Only Lincoln has them available from the factory, and if you don't order the car that way then the dealer will install them (on the Lincoln) on the plastic piece for reasons explained below.

The Ford Accessory sill plates are made to attach to the plastic trim inside the door sill (they don't replace the plastic trim, just attach to it), while the Factory plates are attached to the steel door sill.
Ford only tells people to install them on the plastic trim because it is so much easier to install them there. However, if you ever look at a MKZ they are installed from the factory as pictured above. To install them as pictured above you'll need to have a LOT of patience, as fishing the wires will take you many hours, and a tube of G.E. sealer to insulate the wires properly. I have seen them installed both ways and I do not like them on the plastic trim piece, because they look tacky and "added-on" there (you see them sticking out when the door is closed). My friend is going to be buying a new 2010 or 2011 Taurus, and he wants me to install these on it as pictured above, so I will of course document the install for others and post it here, however, if you'd like I could write up a install summery (without detailed pictures) now for those who can't wait. The trickiest part is drilling the holes and running the wires. Well worth it though I think :goodjob:
[/quote]

Hi Mercury Milan. :wavey: My ooops on the first part. I read quickly and thought you stated "The Factory ones...", when you actually stated the "The Ford ones are made very nice. Here's the Milan version:". I'll take the hit on that one.

Concerning the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln Genuine Accessory sill plates (not the Factory installed ones). I completely understand and agree with what you are saying. They can be installed anywhere the vehicle owner wishes. Heck, a vehicle owner can install them on the roof if they like. I was simply pointing out to mmmfloorpie that they are actually designed and manufactured to be installed on the interior plastic door sill and that they do not replace the plastic sill piece, as mmmfloorpie stated he thought.

Sorry for the confusion.

#10 ·
[quote author=Milan Premier link=topic=170486.msg3610400#msg3610400 date=1271011692]
To clear up more confusion I have changed my post above from saying 'factory" to saying "Ford". The ones from Steeda do not light up so I don't like those. It's very classy to be able to open your door and see the Ford style light up. I just wish the Ford style covered more real estate with stainless steel.
[/quote]

Hi Milan Premier. :wavey: Ahhh, that explains it! Your original post did state "Factory", but you just edited it now to say "Ford". I did not notice that you had just edited it, so figured I had read it incorrectly the first time. Oh well, on the plus side, at least I am not as crazy as people think I am! :eek4: So we will share the hit on that one. :whistle:

We are both posting at the same time, so our previous replies are crossed in cyberspace. I could have sworn it did say "Factory", but I did not see that it had recently been edited by you.

Anyway, glad we straightened out the wrinkly parts. :lmao:

#12 ·
[quote author=mmmfloorpie link=topic=170486.msg3610490#msg3610490 date=1271016657]
This is like pulling teeth...
[/quote]

Hi mmm. :wavey: Nah, more like having teeth pulled. :shock:

Just kidding, of course. :lmao:

#13 ·
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=170486.msg3610420#msg3610420 date=1271012723]
My ooops on the first part. I read quickly and thought you stated "The Factory ones...", when you actually stated the "The Ford ones are made very nice. Here's the Milan version:". I'll take the hit on that one.[/quote]
That wasn't your mistake bbf2530, that was mine... it was made in reference to the Steeda VS. the Ford option. It was late at night when I posted that and meant 'Ford' and not 'Factory'....

BTW, I am thinking about making a wider stainless steel (or chrome) sill plate that would go over the Ford option, so that more of the sill was covered. It should be fairly easy to do....

#14 ·
[quote author=Milan Premier link=topic=170486.msg3610391#msg3610391 date=1271011065][/quote]My friend is going to be buying a new 2010 or 2011 Taurus, and he wants me to install these on it as pictured above...[/quote]
Don't the lighted sills come with the MYColor and ambient lighting in the Taurus? Or maybe in the Limited package?

I have them in my 2010 Mustang. Everbody thinks they're cool when they see them.

#15 ·
[quote author=Nuowner link=topic=170486.msg3664466#msg3664466 date=1274282444]
Don't the lighted sills come with the MYColor and ambient lighting in the Taurus? Or maybe in the Limited package?[/quote]
The only car that I'm aware of that comes with them from the factory, is the Lincoln MKZ.

I think I'm going to add some to my back doors too.

#16 ·
[quote author=Nuowner link=topic=170486.msg3664466#msg3664466 date=1274282444]
My friend is going to be buying a new 2010 or 2011 Taurus, and he wants me to install these on it as pictured above...
Don't the lighted sills come with the MYColor and ambient lighting in the Taurus? Or maybe in the Limited package?

I have them in my 2010 Mustang. Everbody thinks they're cool when they see them.
[/quote]

Hi Nuowner. :wavey: Just to add some information to what MP already provided for you. The Ford Taurus homepage/website lists the door sills in this manner:

"Sill Plates - Front doors with bright metal insert - These sill plates are both attractive and functional. Featuring bright metal inserts, they help prevent scuffing the sill when entering and exiting the vehicle. Standard on Limited and SHO models."

So according to Ford, they are not illuminated and only "factory available" on the Limited and SHO.. I do not know if there are Ford Accessory lighted sill plates available for aftermarket purchase.

Hope this information helps.

#19 ·
I just installed these on my 2010 Sport. I also used the Testors Transparent Blue enamel paint to paint the LED bulb itself so it could sort of match the ambient lights and the gauge cluster. Didnt turn out too bad. I'll post some pics tonight when its dark enough to see them lit up.

#22 ·
[quote author=Big Jim link=topic=170486.msg3798118#msg3798118 date=1284601164]
I'm considering adding the Ford Accessory Lighted Sill Plates. Can anyone tell me what the power source is and how hard it is to wire up?
[/quote]

Hi Big Jim. :wavey: Don't quote me, but my thoughts are that ideally, they would wire up to the same circuit controlled by the door switches which power the interior lights when the doors are opened.

In this way, when the doors are opened the illuminated door sills will light. When the doors are closed, the illuminated door sills will turn off.

Just my opinion with no wiring diagram to back it up.

#26 ·
[quote author=MadOx23 link=topic=170486.msg3798217#msg3798217 date=1284605969]
Here is a link to the installation instructions from Ford Accessories. They show where they get wired for each model year.

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/getFileBlob.do?fileid=416
[/quote]

Thanks for providing that link MadOx. :wavey: It will help a lot of people with their illuminated doorsill questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.