FordFusionClub.com banner

Seat belt extenders FREE from Ford

39K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  bbf2530 
#1 ·
I just found out that you can call up your local Ford dealer and get the pig tail seat belt extenders for free. I have the Duragear rear seat cover on and my kids have a really hard time getting their seat belts on due to the opening being so small for the seat belts. Now with these little extenders the kids will be able to snap in. I also ordered a set for my Focus. They will give you 2 for select models free. My Fusion and Focus have are covered so I have 2 sets on the way for FREE. Just thought I would pass this on.

#2 ·
Wow -- I didn't know that. I bought one for my Fusion on e-bay (for the same reason). It was a pain -- because the rear is different than front. Are you sure your local dealer just isn't being kind? I knew Ford sells them, but didn't know they gave them away.

#3 ·
Call them up. I found out they were free after calling Paul at Partscheap. He told me that if the dealer wouldn't give them to me for free he would and all I would have to pay is shipping. I'm just waiting for a call to go get them when they come in.

#4 ·
Yes they are FREE... the original intent was for very overweight people that needed the extenders and it wasn't legally fair to charge them for the extenders due to their weight. Kind of like certain airlines that want to charge obese persons for two seats because they physically can't fit their body into one airline seat.
So just tell the dealer you have an overweight person in your family and if they give you any greif tell them they will be hearing from your lawyer :shock:

#6 ·
[quote author=Double Vision link=topic=103936.msg2106076#msg2106076 date=1204145170]
the original intent was for very overweight people that needed the extenders and it wasn't legally fair to charge them for the extenders due to their weight. Kind of like certain airlines that want to charge obese persons for two seats because they physically can't fit their body into one airline seat.
[/quote]

[begin_rant]

there's nothing unfair about that... [with the exception of rare medical conditions], obesity is a lifestyle choice, not a disability. the airlines, car manufacturers, etc. should NOT have to lose money or give away free products because people eat too many hamburgers. this added cost is not absorbed by the airlines and car manufacturers, it gets passed onto consumers :rolleyes:

if you can't fit in one airline seat then you SHOULD have to pay for two. :lol:

if you can't fit in the Fusion's seat, then you SHOULD have bought a bigger car! :lol:

[/end_rant]

#7 ·
I didn't post the information to start a debate about right and wrong.. the information was posted to enlighten those concerned how the seat belt extenders were available at no charge.

I don't have kids in the public school system but part of my taxes go to pay for that..
I don't wear glasses either but part of my medical insurance goes to pay for that..
My ass can fit in one seat but part of my new car money goes to pay for belt extenders...

Maybe you can take those issues to the forum lounge....

#8 ·
I got the extenders in from Ford. The Focus extenders work fine in the front or the rear. The Fusion has different seat belts front and rear. The latch ( female ) is deeper. The male end is longer. No problem. I used the grinder to remove a small amount of material to allow the male end to go in deeper. Now they lock into place with no problems. I only has to remove about 1/32 " of material to allow it to catch so no worries on the strength of the assy. The same had to be done to the male end of the seatbelt on the shoulder/lap belt end. It was a touch too wide to slide into the extender female end. Childrens are very happy to not have to dig to get their belts on now. This took all of about 15 mins to mod.

#9 ·
[quote author=sback2 link=topic=103936.msg2127163#msg2127163 date=1204819889]
The Fusion has different seat belts front and rear. The latch ( female ) is deeper. The male end is longer. No problem. I used the grinder to remove a small amount of material to allow the male end to go in deeper. Now they lock into place with no problems. I only has to remove about 1/32 " of material to allow it to catch so no worries on the strength of the assy. The same had to be done to the male end of the seatbelt on the shoulder/lap belt end. It was a touch too wide to slide into the extender female end. Childrens are very happy to not have to dig to get their belts on now. This took all of about 15 mins to mod.
[/quote]
I tried this, but with no luck... :( (however, I may have miss understood your instructions...)
I used a grinder to take off 1/16" of material off the tip of the seat belt extender. It still does not lock into the back seat female clasp???

#10 ·
When I said the female was deeper and the male is longer I was talking about the fronts. These extenders are for the fronts. To put these in the rear You need to 1st make the male end of the extender match the male end of the shoulder belt clip. When you try inserting the extender into the existing seatbelt it hits on the rubber coating not allowing it to go in deep enough to click. You will remove rubber and some metal underneath. This will allow it to go in deep enough to click in. Now for the shoulder harness clip. This needs to look like the front shoulder clip. Use the front as a guide on this. Take a little off of the sides. Holding the back and front shoulder clips together you will see what you need to do.

#11 ·
They do make ones for the rear as well. I bought some on e-bay. The first one didn't fit, but they sent me one that did. I can try to get the part # if anyone wants it?

#12 ·
[quote author=koreySE link=topic=103936.msg2153658#msg2153658 date=1205619285]
They do make ones for the rear as well. I bought some on e-bay. The first one didn't fit, but they sent me one that did. I can try to get the part # if anyone wants it?
[/quote]

please do!

I've followed the intructions as posted with the two that I had without success.

#14 ·
[quote author=Double Vision link=topic=103936.msg2106076#msg2106076 date=1204145170]
Yes they are FREE... the original intent was for very overweight people that needed the extenders and it wasn't legally fair to charge them for the extenders due to their weight. Kind of like certain airlines that want to charge obese persons for two seats because they physically can't fit their body into one airline seat.
So just tell the dealer you have an overweight person in your family and if they give you any greif tell them they will be hearing from your lawyer :shock:
[/quote]

You'd have to be pretty damn fat to not be able to use the stock seat belts... I'd say they are free more as a safety thing for kids... The fat people reason just doesn't sound that appealing to me...

#15 ·

I hope this helps you if you are lost....

:lol:

#18 ·
[quote author=FusionFanatic link=topic=103936.msg2184523#msg2184523 date=1206584570]
LMFAO!!! :lol:

as long as she/it is sitting on the seat belt receptacle, all the extenders in the world won't help! :chuckles: :rofl: :woohoo:
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

#19 ·
[quote author=mmmfloorpie link=topic=103936.msg2184652#msg2184652 date=1206586310]
That picture is funny, but again I think it's so people can buckle their car seats in safely..
[/quote]

Well, I guess that means if you are overweight AND have kids maybe they charge you for the second set of extenders :dunno:

With a screen name of mmmmmmmfloorpie (in a Homer Simpson voice) I would tell everyone I need the extenders for my kids safety too. :pokey:

#20 ·
^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAhA YEAH, what ARE you trying to hide bro

#21 ·
[quote author=Double Vision link=topic=103936.msg2186389#msg2186389 date=1206643504]
[quote author=mmmfloorpie link=topic=103936.msg2184652#msg2184652 date=1206586310]
That picture is funny, but again I think it's so people can buckle their car seats in safely..
[/quote]

Well, I guess that means if you are overweight AND have kids maybe they charge you for the second set of extenders :dunno:

With a screen name of mmmmmmmfloorpie (in a Homer Simpson voice) I would tell everyone I need the extenders for my kids safety too. :pokey:
[/quote]

AHHHHHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....HAHAHAHA....ha ha ha....ha.... :rofl:

#22 ·
[quote author=Double Vision link=topic=103936.msg2186389#msg2186389 date=1206643504]
[/quote]

[/quote]

That wasn't very nice... Didn't someone say on this thread that the backseat extenders were free but the front seat extenders cost money? Obviously I don't drive my car from the backseat (I'm not that fat yet), nor do I put my non-existant kids in their car seats in the front seats...

#23 ·
^Typically the front seat extenders are the ones that are FREE. If people are using a grinder on these things in order for them to fit correctly in the BACK seat then I would have to say they were not designed for a childs safety in the BACK seat. SBACK2 already mentioned the front and rear seat latches were different on the Fusions

If you read this you will fully understand that it is NOT a child seat safety issue....

http://www.ifisher.com/campaignhistory.asp

#24 ·
[quote author=Double Vision link=topic=103936.msg2187116#msg2187116 date=1206656745]
^Typically the front seat extenders are the ones that are FREE. If people are using a grinder on these things in order for them to fit correctly in the BACK seat then I would have to say they were not designed for a childs safety in the BACK seat. SBACK2 already mentioned the front and rear seat latches were different on the Fusions

If you read this you will fully understand that it is NOT a child seat safety issue....

http://www.ifisher.com/campaignhistory.asp
[/quote]

Let's ask the person that posted this thread:

"I just found out that you can call up your local Ford dealer and get the pig tail seat belt extenders for free. I have the Duragear rear seat cover on and my kids have a really hard time getting their seat belts on due to the opening being so small for the seat belts. Now with these little extenders the kids will be able to snap in. I also ordered a set for my Focus. They will give you 2 for select models free. My Fusion and Focus have are covered so I have 2 sets on the way for FREE. Just thought I would pass this on."

This whole post is about him getting free extenders for the BACK SEATS of his car for his kids.

On a more personal level, this is a Ford Fusion forum where there is supposed to be nothing but friendly discussion. My question then is, why are you such a prick?

#25 ·
^^ O.k... if you don't want to believe the facts and the hard evidence posted here that the seat extenders are given free for overweight issues than you can believe whatever you need to believe to convince yourself of whatever you need to convince yourself of...
I have not yet found any National Highway Traffic Safety material stating that any car maker needs to give out seat belt extenders free for people using seat covers with child car seats.

I just made a belt buckle out of my FORD seat belt extender so does that mean that they are giving them away to help people keep their baggy pants on?

If the original poster got the extenders to make his child car seats function easier for him than that is great news...I am glad he is not so overweight that he needed them for their intended purpose.

Take care...as I now see I am trying to educate someone on an issue that they refuse to be educated on :dur:

#26 ·
[quote author=Double Vision link=topic=103936.msg2190534#msg2190534 date=1206747336]
^^ O.k... if you don't want to believe the facts and the hard evidence posted here that the seat extenders are given free for overweight issues than you can believe whatever you need to believe to convince yourself of whatever you need to convince yourself of...
I have not yet found any National Highway Traffic Safety material stating that any car maker needs to give out seat belt extenders free for people using seat covers with child car seats.

I just made a belt buckle out of my FORD seat belt extender so does that mean that they are giving them away to help people keep their baggy pants on?

If the original poster got the extenders to make his child car seats function easier for him than that is great news...I am glad he is not so overweight that he needed them for their intended purpose.

Take care...as I now see I am trying to educate someone on an issue that they refuse to be educated on :dur:
[/quote]

Lol its ok Double Vision...Im on your side...We just have to blame McDonalds for Pie boy.... :lol: