FordFusionClub.com banner

Lug nut size?

53K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  bbf2530 
#1 ·
What size lug nuts are on the 2010 Ford Fusion? (say the 18" SAP wheels for example).

I bought a new air compressor that came with an impact wrench so I might as well get the thin walled lug nut sockets too.

#3 ·
[quote author=Khanaar link=topic=161954.msg3437846#msg3437846 date=1259678870]
same as most ford cars, 3/4, or 19mm. both will work
[/quote]
Thanks..

Think I'll get one of those multi sets (7 sockets) with the plastic sleeves so I can be prepared for any wheel. At least I'll be able to put my own snow wheels on too finishing with a manual torque beam type torque wrench. That should work, right?

#6 ·
#8 ·
[quote author=JasonL link=topic=161954.msg3438613#msg3438613 date=1259709278]
$70 for sockets seems silly. How many times do you change your wheels that you think you're going to marr the lugnuts? :rofl:
[/quote]

The set pictured above is $49.95 and besides I will need to change four wheels twice a year at bare minimum (mount and demount snow wheels), and have 4 cars in our household that may require their use on occasion. On top of that it'll be 9 deep sockets that I can use for other reasons (having a brand new air impact gun and no sockets to go with it.) :)

#9 ·
the OEM nuts are a crapy cheap stainless steel tin covered nut, they dont rust, so as long as you dont beat them up and rattle them off tight, you should be fine. I suggest any old 19mm thinwall socket will work since you arent going to use it often. I used an impact and a standard little thinwall socket on my wheels the other day when I put my winters on without so much as a scratch on my stock nuts. it all depends how careful you are rather than the tool itself

#10 ·
i bought a set of campbell hausfield impact sockets at walmart for 20 bucks. look near the automotive section, its by the air compressors. they have a 3/8 in drive set and a 1/2 inch drive set. i bought the 1/2inch drive. the set came in a case, they were black impact sockets and had 7 sae and 8 metrics i think. i just took the 18 inch sport rims off my car and this set came in handy. works great for 20 bucks.

#12 ·
I don't mind dropping $50 for a specialized set of plastic covered thin walled sockets (plus two extensions) since that will probably be 90% of the air impact guns use anyway. Besides, I think Mrs. Santa has already picked up on this and spread the word to her elves (my Daughters). I don't buy too many tools but when I do I like to get "the right stuff" (without paying dearly like going for Snap On tools etc.) Craftsman usually works well for me when it comes to sockets but this set was less expensive then the smaller plain lug nut set from Sears. I did just buy a really nice 16 draw three piece roller chest though that I managed to get for less then 50% regular cost on one particular day a few weeks ago and am still shaking my head at that deal. Gotta keep an eye on Sears, especially the website as every once in a while you can catch multiple discounts or rather a one day discount (friends and family etc.) on top of a sale price and the computer lets you use them both for a great deal. The sales guys in the store couldn't believe the deal I was able to get off the computer on that set and the price hasn't even been close since.

Appreciate the input and suggestions on the sockets though. And for only $20, I'll keep an eye out for that set of deep impact sockets too since it appears to include the smaller SAE sizes.

#13 ·
no problem. i agree on the online sears deals. i was able to nab a nice anodized blue 3/8 newer style ratchet for like 20 bucks. it was originally 80. i got it on a one day online deal. im buying another set of the 20 dollar campbell hausfelds to leave in the car in case i get a flat. the winter rims i installed had the smallest openings, my usual 4 way lug wrench would not fit. i had to use the thinner CH deep well impacts to install my winter rims. good thing i had that set on hand.

#14 ·
Great idea on keeping the correct socket in the car with you. Worth the $20 right there along with a spare breaker bar and extension.

#16 ·
[quote author=Rodeo link=topic=161954.msg3442232#msg3442232 date=1259881245]
What is the torque required in foot pounds for tightening the lug nuts, anyone know?
[/quote]

Hi Rodeo. :wavey: 100 lb. ft..

For those who would like to double check, it is listed in the Owners Manual.

Good luck. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.