FordFusionClub.com banner

Disabling Daytime Running Lights

48K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  ahanix1989 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I was wondering if any of you guys found this and tried it. I research the net and this what i came up with.

The Ford Fusion uses daytime running lights. The daytime running lights, however, are something that some drivers want to disable during the day while still being able to use them for driving at night. Ford has incorporated a plug that is relatively easy to access that will disable the daytime running lights on the Fusion. Even if you've never disabled the daytime running lights in your Fusion before, this job should take you no more than five minutes.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions

Things You'll Need
Flat head screwdriver

Open the driver's side door and pry off the access panel on the end of the dash behind the door with a small, flat tip screwdriver.

Locate the small box mounted on the firewall with a small power connector running to the box.

Remove the power connector running to the small box to disable the daytime running lights.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5847482_turn-fusion-headlights-driving-daytime.html

See less See more
#2 ·
... the article is not very clear in the least. I'm not a mechanic, but does it not sound like they are asking you to unplug the power junction box or whatever it is called that is located under the dash?

I don't know much about this stuff, but the explanation seems a little sketchy. I always thought the only way to disable them was to have a dealership disable them with their Tech II computer or something.

#8 ·
Yesterday i went to the only Ford Dealer in my country and managed to let them scan my vehicle to disable my day time running lights. Unfortunately they cannot disable it. Only the perimeter lights which i have disabled myself. They said that it is tied to the transaxle gear shifter and the manual said it cannot be done. :(

#10 ·
The dealership should still be able to do it. I'm not really sure how they are saying they can't. The transaxle connection is just a circuit that is made to signal the lights to turn on when the car goes from P to D. The computer is the one that sends the power once the signal is sensed from the transmission.

Are DRL's legally enforced in your country? If that is the case, the dealer might just be telling you they "can't" because they are not allowed to or don't want to.

#12 ·
Thing is, I'm looking at my first-generation wiring diagrams and there is no DRL module, which means it's all software-controlled by the SJB. It IS possible, but highly unlikely, that the second-generations have a dedicated DRL module.

[quote author=belizeandevil link=topic=198300.msg4119333#msg4119333 date=1316996789]
Just a thought, if I managed to locate the transaxle circuit and adapt a relay to it, would u think that will shut down the drl?
[/quote]
On that same note, again, it's all software-controlled by the SJB. Check the Electronics forum for my wiring diagrams but you can see that, aside from a sunlight sensor on the autolamp-equipped models, it's all software.

#13 ·
Have we figured out anything about this? I ttied getting my dealer to turn mine off and they wont do it I can instal a relay to interupt the signal givin to the low beams which wont hurt anything. Just blocks the signal going tothe bulbs making the computer think they are on when not. But on a 2012 if I try and find this power connector, will this work or kill the car?

#14 · (Edited)
Hi Morgan. Yes, you would risk frying your SJB. Not an inexpensive mistake either. In addition, since your car is a 2012 and possibly still under the 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty, you would be risking denied Warranty work on any electrical related claims. It is very simple for a Dealer to disable the DRL's properly. Just call or stop into other Ford or Lincoln Dealerships in your area and find one who will perform the service. Also, ask in the Service Department, not the Sales or other staff.

EDIT - Ooops, I see you are located in Canada. DRL's are required by law and it is doubtful any Dealer located in Canada will disable them. While I don't care for DRL's myself, if the US required them, I would not risk a ticket (and another and another). Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Keep us updated and good luck.

#16 ·
yeah its law here, i do realize it would fry the box. just wasnt sure if this little trick was something that would fry the box or just block the signal.. the relay is being told to me that it wont fry my box so thats my only other option.. the dealer first said they would turn them off so i could run just my leds and then when they had my car for 3 hours they finally said they wouldnt.. rude

#17 ·
I think there's some confusion in the original post -- if it's what I'm thinking of, it's the autolamp / wiper module mounted behind the SJB. The original article/instructions are not proven in any way, and whoever wrote it may not have verified their wipers still worked.

For all we know, these instructions are for the European 'Ford Fusion', which is in no way related to the USDM Fusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.