FordFusionClub.com banner

2013 Fusion - cant fill gas tank

66K views 110 replies 23 participants last post by  jinx8402 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just got my 2013 Fusion SE. Company car actually.

Im having a real hard time filling up the gas tank. The 2010 Fusion had a cover on the tank spout but this is different. Its almost like a gas cap now that has a cover you push thru now.

No problem getting the gas spout in. However over the last 3 fillups Ive been about 3 gallons under full. I can force it by pumping it but it takes a while and have to do it at least 10 times. I havent had it overfill yet and spill out on the ground. I know its supposed to be like 15 gallons to full.

Ive got an average of 30 MPG on the system and max out at about 400 miles when I fill the tank as much as I can so I know theres more room.

When I got the car there was hardly any gas, about 50 miles to empty. I filled it up and only got 12.5 gallons in it.

Any ideas?

#4 ·
not sure exactly how big the tank is on the new fusions, but on mine i believe its a 16 gallon tank, 2-3 of those is reserve. sounds like yours is about right. be careful trying to top off the tank. you could cause problems with the evap system.

#9 ·
So...for those of us who have had our Fusions for a while, this is a known issue. There is a very good thread about it in the forums on the Fusion Forum on Blue Oval forums:

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/8957-2013-fusion-fuel-tank-filling-issues/?hl=%2Bfuel+%2Btank+%2Bfilling

The issue is exclusive to the Non-Hybrid and and Non-AWD cars. The tank capacities for the various models are as listed:

Hybrid - 13.5 Gal
AWD - 17.5 Gal
FWD - 16.5 Gal

Only those cars with the 16.5 Gal capacity are impacted based on the comments in the threads thus far and it is a definite issue. Some have been able to get the tanks to fill up farther by filling slowly and waiting and then filling again. It is an arduous process which should not be required in order to get the tank full.

And for the record...there is NO 2.5 to 3 Gallon reserve in any fuel tank currently in production...so please stop suggesting that it is normal to come up over 3 gallons short of a full fill-up when the needle is on or below empty. Thanks!

So, for anyone who is experiencing 11-12 gallon fill-ups on cars that have the 16.5 gallon tank, it is my personal recommendation that you contact the dealer and get them to start looking into it as I have. The more folks we have raising the question, the sooner Ford will admit the problem exists and provide a fix.

I have started the dialog with my dealer and will be having them investigate when I take it in for the 7500 mile service in the next few weeks.

#10 ·
In the owners manual, it states to do a gradual fill up after the gas pump has auto shut off. In my experience, when it auto shut offs, there is at least another gallon that can be put in. I am in NJ, and we have full service, so sometimes they top off, other times not.

Also, when the tank reads 1/4 down, its consistenly been equal to 4 gallons when filled up all the way.

Unfortunately, I think this issue has to do with Ford's capless filling port.

#12 ·
Stealth - I have tried myriad versions of filling up...trust me...this is not an operator issue. The pump shuts off the first time at somewhere in the 11 gallon range unless I am running well into the amber zone and shuts off on the second fill in the 12 gallon range. The most I have ever gotten into my tank in a single fill-up was 12.9 gallons and that was after running it 5 miles past 0 DTE.

What I think is funny is that so many people on the forums assume somehow that it is the fault of the owners/operators...that we have somehow suddenly forgotten how to fill a car with gas. I am not a young man and I have had many cars with various fuel systems from various manufacturers. This is the first time I have ever not been able to reconcile the "fill from empty" with the advertised tank capacity.

I appreciate the effort to come up with a simple solution, but you need to trust us that this is not normal behavior...and maybe go check your car to see if it experiences the same issue if you are driving a 2013 with an advertised capacity of 16.5 gallons. Anyone who is also experiencing the issue needs to talk to the dealer...anyone who isn't provides proof that the tank should accept more fuel than it does. It's that simple.

Also, please note, there is no bigger fan of the 2013 Fusion than me. I do not consider this evidence that Ford is failing or a black mark against the car. It is an early production run issue (most likely with the tank supplier) and it simply needs to get addressed so we can move on with these wonderful, fun automobiles.

#13 ·
Go check the thread we linked to earlier...one of the guys who got his car looked at by the Ford engineers actually got the tank replaced and is now seeing 15+ gallon fill-ups with the corresponding range reflecting the additional available fuel.

This is not a user issue...it is a real issue with the fuel tanks and it impacts the overall driving range which can impact driving out in less populated areas. It also means more stops for gas which impacts mileage as well.

#16 ·
I ended up contacting Trina on Ford's customer support Facebook page (Trina replaced Natasha who used to help owners out with escalating issues). She asked for my information on my car and then escalated it to my regional Customer Service Manager. I talked to the CSM today, and while she did not say if she's heard a lot of complaints about the fuel tank, she agreed that it should be able to fill up more than 13 gallons from completely empty. She said the tank should have approximately 1 gallon reserve, not the 3.5 I was experiencing. She suggested for me to bring it in to the dealer and then she would work with the dealer about getting it taken care of.

#17 ·
Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on how things go. I have started the conversation through my local dealer, but have not yet taken it in to have it looked at. I will provide details once I get the car in front of them and I get to show them the issue.

Filled up again last night and with less than 20 miles DTE, I pumped to the 3rd or 4th pump shut-off and still got just barely 12 gallons into the car...and the fuel gauge didn't even show completely full (was about an 1/8 of an inch below the "F" line.

On the brighter side, after going over 5500 miles on the car, I am starting to see fuel mileage consistent with the advertised values...saw real-time values of 32-33 mpg on the freeway last night and I am averaging 28-29 mpg so far on this tank...70-ish miles with a 50-50 split of hwy/city. This is significantly improved from the early mileage I was experiencing.

#18 ·
So I am catching up on this issue (I haven't even refilled my tank yet!) and have seen many folks here, and on another fusion forum talk about this. 1 person seemed to say they 'fixed' their problem on their own, by resetting the trip counter or something to that effect, right when they refilled. Others seem to suggest a different gas tank solves (Internal sensor that is off, or not 'seating' correctly as the tank fills?).

Any possible truth or correlation to a trip counter reset aiding in this problem, or is this a hardware issue, that may be solvable with some software changes from Ford? Also - I take it not 'everyone' has this problem? Anyone with a new Fusion 'without' a tank fill problem that can slap 16 gallons in there?

Finally, I think I found something else aiding to the confusion (my confusion at least!) In either my owners manual or the quick reference foldout, I do recall it saying the car only had a 13.5 gallon tank? That seems to collide with the size everyone is stating it has (16.5). Just asking; can someone confirm in a manner which it is? (I guess if someone has at least squeezed in 14+ gallons, that confirms bigger than 13.5!)

#20 ·
Jayvee - To answer one of your questions, Yes, some have indicated that they can fill up normally and get 15+ gallons in the tank.

Also, Jinx is correct on the fuel tank sizes...3 different tank sizes and only one of them (the 16.5 gal) seems to be having issues. This would be consistent with a vendor build problem and would contribute to the confusion over whether there is a real issue or not.

To sum it up, if you are driving a Hybrid or an AWD, then you are most likely in the clear and will not have any issues.

However, if you are driving a non-Hybrid FWD, then you should pay close attention to the amount of fuel that goes in relative to what the gauge is reading when you fill up. These cars provide a lot of detail to let you know how much fuel is in the tank and how much is used during each tank cycle if you use the Trip Odometers to help monitor the usage.

#21 ·
ugh... Tank wouldnt fill up last night. pump shut off way before filled. I tried to adjust the nozzle, and then an off duty cop started reciting NJ laws about it being illegal to pump own gas. When the service attendant came back, I asked him to fill up more, but he had already pulled my card. I hope this isnt a trend....

#25 ·
in all honesty, how much fuel do you really expect to put in a 16.5 gallon tank? i have a 17.5 gallon tank and ive never put more that 14-15 gallons in it (and thats pushing it) and yes, i would consider that normal. by your logic, every car ive owned had an issue with the gas tank.

#26 ·
This isn't useful at all. They have already stated that it is an issue above and beyond the reserve, or at least the reserve being much higher than Ford ever intended. On three separate vehicles I can and have routinely filled up my tank to within .5 gallons of the rated amount. Only one of those vehicles did I ever run out of gas (stupid red lights).

I don't know about the 2013 Fusion (waiting on mine). But in every manual they tell you the size of the tank and when it digital indicators are telling you when you are out of fuel. Typically that is 10% for a primary indicator and a second indicator for the "out" when it at between a half and full gallon. That is real world information that should tell anyone that their is something weird with the Fusions tank for those noticing at or near empty only being able to fit in 12-13 gallons in a 16.5 gallon tank.

But the real question which is what I hope most people are trying to figure out is whether or not its a reporting/sensor issue with the tank where it only reports the weight above the first 3 gallons (accidentally causing 3 gallon reserve). Or is it an issue where it stops the pump early at 12-13 gallons. Either way unless someone is really Brazen and it's the former, this is a big boot in the range of the car. At highway travel it's 100-120 miles. A road trip from Michigan to Florida it would mean stopping an extra 4 or 5 times wasting nearly an hour of travel times. At mixed for me to work and back its doubling up on how many times I would need to gas up a month.

So to answer the question I would assume I could put somewhere between 15.75 and 16 gallons in it almost every time I stop for gas.

#27 ·
A couple things I read recently.

tank issues were also a problem on older fusions. Which I noticed also can have capless fuel inlets.

Hyundai also had this problem. Often it would require tank replacement. In some cases, people thought the floaters were getting stuck and blocking the fuel inlet. Or, the filler neck was defective.

This issue will definitely be requiring a TSB.

Oh BTW, on that note, Ford has been sued in a class action for the f150 ecoboost hydrolocking issues.

#30 ·
Have to add myself to the list - filled up Sunday for the first time - I had '11 to E' left in the tank, so about a half-gal I would guesstimate (allowing for 11 miles travel). I filled to about 12.7, and finally to 13.2 after 2 slow refills to top off (I hate doing that but wanted to 'test' what was going on here).

That leaves me with - a 3 gallon reserve? On a 16.5 gal tank? I've never had more than 1 gal at best 'reserve' on any car I've owned (including an '11 mustang - Ford as well with no gas cap either..). There is 'nothing' stated in the manual about such a large reserve..

Here's my response to those saying 'it's normal' or 'what do you expect'..

I expect the truth - advertise a 16.5 gal tank, I expect that to go in it, or close enough. People make purchases based on car range too, so advertising that you can get 22-32 range per gal and that you have a 16.5 tank is alot different than the 20.2 mpg actual and 13.2 full fill up #'s I just got.. Ya feel me?

#39 · (Edited)
OK...so, What Grinds My Gears right now?

The folks who insist on contributing to threads for which they have no direct experience or relevant facts, but rather lots of "expert" opinions to offer which typically impugn the OP or the thread topic as somehow inane or stupid or foolish, because "everyone knows" that that is just how cars work...or you shouldn't expect your car to be perfect...or that it is the mystery of how new cars are designed and no one really knows the real answers so you might as well just give up...

If someone has relevant direct experience...or better yet, documented factual information to contribute, I welcome their input, regardless of whether it is pro or con. Otherwise, give it a rest, will ya?

I am starting to get very fed up with these trolls. They stir the pot and create confusion or magnify the confusion that already exists and they seem to ignore every relevant factual detail that is contrary to their opinion. The arrogance is mind-boggling.

I love how you say this, but fill this entire thread with misinformation. Yes troll, I do read the entire forum. And FYI troll, I am an engineer on the CD3 program. I know every nook and cranny of that car better than you could ever hope.

#41 ·
OK...so, What Grinds My Gears right now?

The folks who insist on contributing to threads for which they have no direct experience or relevant facts, but rather lots of "expert" opinions to offer which typically impugn the OP or the thread topic as somehow inane or stupid or foolish, because "everyone knows" that that is just how cars work...or you shouldn't expect your car to be perfect...or that it is the mystery of how new cars are designed and no one really knows the real answers so you might as well just give up...

If someone has relevant direct experience...or better yet, documented factual information to contribute, I welcome their input, regardless of whether it is pro or con. Otherwise, give it a rest, will ya?

I am starting to get very fed up with these trolls. They stir the pot and create confusion or magnify the confusion that already exists and they seem to ignore every relevant factual detail that is contrary to their opinion. The arrogance is mind-boggling.

I love how you say this, but fill this entire thread with misinformation. Yes troll, I do read the entire forum.
Since you insist on starting this fight...please do tell me where I have provided misinformation? I actually own a 2013 2.0 L with a 16.5 gallon tank. I actually cannot get more than 12.9 gallons into it without gas running all over the side of my car (which I hate). I have provided links to other threads on other forums where people are also experiencing the issue and are getting it addressed. How is any of that misinforming anyone...?

I also have detailed my history with cars and my experience level in an attempt to fend off attacks such as yours...to no avail.

If you have an issue with me, please take it to another thread so this one can remain unmolested. I will let my posts speak for themselves with regards to the validity of the discussion.

Lastly, one question...going back to your original assertion that the "reserve" is 3+ gallons on the 16.5 gallon tanks...why is it that those who are driving AWD cars with 17.5 gallon tanks do not seem to have the issue...nor do those driving the Hybrids which have 13.5 gallon tanks? Well, MR Expert? Can you explain why these tanks behave so very differently? Please amaze us with you brilliance!

#42 · (Edited)
Gas runs down the side of the car because your tank is full or you are not properly using the capless fuel system. Theres that problem solved.

I never said that there might not be a problem with the 16.5 gallon tank with the capless fuel system. I said you need to shut your God damn mouth for 5 seconds and listen to what DannyMK2 has been CORRECTLY trying to help you understand this entire time. Don't expect 15+ gallons to go into a 16.5 gallon tank, heck 14+ gallons is pushing it even if the gauge is on empty, unless you run it so low you burn out the fuel pump. If you like doing that fine, just make sure you let the techs at Ford know that before you go claiming warranty work on your car for a problem you caused. You keep saying everyone else is wrong when they tell you about a reserve gas amount, you keep saying its incorrect information. Well until you design a gas pump that can run bone dry and not burn out, guess what, that reserve amount exists. The capless fuel system stops early on purpose, to prevent people like you from overfilling the car. The entire system is there so that you don't spill gas everywhere. Maybe the 16.5 gal one was calibrated to be a bit off (maybe a gallon or 2) and revised. I am sure I could pull the part numbers and revision logs and find out. But thats not my point, you need to pull your head out of your ass for 5 minutes, take a breath of fresh air and listen to what people are trying to help you understand.

You can blab on and bad mouth me from now on if you want, I don't give a crap. I am done with you, I only commented to hopefully make at least even one person realize their car doesn't have a problem if they are not able to cram 15 gallons of gas in a 16.5 gallon tank and go complaining to Ford about a faulty tank and waste everyones time because you are dead set on your incorrect oppinion of how a fuel tank should operate.

#45 ·
You can blab on and bad mouth me from now on if you want, I don't give a crap. I am done with you, I only commented to hopefully make at least even one person realize their car doesn't have a problem if they are not able to cram 15 gallons of gas in a 16.5 gallon tank and go complaining to Ford about a faulty tank and waste everyones time because you are dead set on your incorrect oppinion of how a fuel tank should operate.
How about at least getting 14.5 gal in? Seriously, 3 gal reserve? At least 1 person reporting this has gotten a tank replacement that 'does' fill up past 12.5/13? How is that wasting people's time when a good # of folks are experiencing this, and some have had it resolved with work done by Ford? Don't know about you, but I poked around various Fusion forums before deciding this would be 'it'. Guess what I found? A lot of discussions on other sites about the gas tank too. Guess we are 'all' just trolling idiots, right??

I just don't get this hate on the issue - other than you are trying to make it a non-issue. Talk about forum support, I thought that's what they were, to discuss issues.. Not be chased off by the local 'I'm right STFU' guy that strolls in to post. Txtenor isn't the only one reporting this...

#44 ·
^See post above. Also post count only shows how long you have been on a site. Not sure why you think that would matter in anything other than time on a site. Also, my attitude is reflected of YEARS of the same kind of people coming in, claiming people who are tying to give correct and helpful information are wrong because they don't own the exact car in question. I no longer own a Fusion, that doesn't mean I can't tell you just about everything you could ever want to know and a thousand times more than that about every single electrical wire in them.

#46 ·
the problem is one person on the internet feels not putting 16 gallons into a 16.5 gallon tank is wrong. said person makes a rant on internet. then its a snowball effect of people who think their car is broken and has an issue, meanwhile there was nothing wrong in the first place. i have a 17.5 gallon tank and a normal fill up for me is 14-15 gallons and yes, i have the same capless fuel system. if you guys are so convinced you got a shotty gas tank, why dont you go to the dealer and get it fixed instead of complaining about it on the internet. its not going to get fixed here.

#49 ·
danny...we aren't saying we expect to put in 16 gallons...only that 11.5 - 12 gallons isn't right. Why can you not see that?

We are not trying to fix the issue here...we are simply trying to gather information to help us discuss it intelligently with the dealerships who will likely be clueless since the cars are so new. Is that really a problem? I thought that was the purpose of these forums.

And I still do not understand the level of your agitation over the issue if it doesn't affect you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.